Sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You could consider a Pontiac G8 one mostly because 95% of people have no idea what they are.
unless it has that dreadful V6 in it...

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
You could consider a Pontiac G8 one mostly because 95% of people have no idea what they are.
unless it has that dreadful V6 in it...

... in which case it's a sleeper that never actually wakes up.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
....like S4/S6 Avant for example.

Negative ghostrider...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

There's a guy on Maxbimmer with a S62 (M5) swapped 540i wagon
grin.gif

That is more like it...

So, is my A6 with no spoiler or cool body panels, two car seats in the back, riding on worn out snow tires, that puts out 350hp (280awhp) a sleeper? I know that it almost made me soil my shorts the first time I drove it after the ECU was reprogrammed.

Ditto for the Mazdaspeed 3; where I live even the ricers don't know what it is...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Ditto for the Mazdaspeed 3; where I live even the ricers don't know what it is...

Funny that a G8 has a 6 in it!

A sleeper is any car that doesn't look fast. My 300 is always dissed as it looks like a luxed up sedan, that is what makes a real sleeper. Plus a sleeper is quiet, both inside and out.

Part of the joy of the SRT8 is it is perfectly happy to be your luxury sedan all day and go to the track on weekends and kick expensive imports to the curb!

Originally Posted By: MCompact

crackmeup2.gif

One of my clients seems to think he knows!

He has a 3i sedan with a Mazdaspeed badge on it.

"So that's a 'Speed 3?"
"Yeah."
"Looks like they left out your intercooler scoop."
"uhhhhhh...."
"And the hatch."
"Uhhhh.....yeah, it's JDM."
"Don't feel bad, they left out the rear diff on my 'Speed6, and the turbocharger, and added a couple of extra cylinders, and put the wrong transmission in....and built it in a different factory....
lol.gif

^ ha!

I love sleepers! dedicated my automotive life to them.
12 second daily drivers that cost no more than $3000 to assemble (vehicle included) tearing the sphincters out of "higher end sports cars" can have a grown man giggling like a school girl on any given commute. I'll leave the all flash no dash bit for the rice boys, I would rather grossly underrepresent my vehicles' performance capabilities.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
[
One of my clients seems to think he knows!

He has a 3i sedan with a Mazdaspeed badge on it.

"So that's a 'Speed 3?"
"Yeah."
"Looks like they left out your intercooler scoop."
"uhhhhhh...."
"And the hatch."
"Uhhhh.....yeah, it's JDM."
"Don't feel bad, they left out the rear diff on my 'Speed6, and the turbocharger, and added a couple of extra cylinders, and put the wrong transmission in....and built it in a different factory....
lol.gif

A guy who lives up the street from my BIL has a dead stock 1993 325i which has an M3 emblem on the trunk. I keep hoping I'll run into him so I can tell him,
"Gosh, neat car! Except for the wheels, the front airdam, the side molding, the side skirts, the mirrors, the rear valence, the seats, and the exhaust, it looks just like a real M3."

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

The mid to late 80's Buick Regal T-Types with the GN's turbo 3.8L were as plain Jane as they come but look out if you took one on. Definitely a factory sleeper. I almost bought one. I really wanted a GN but the costw as too high. Instead I looked into a Regal T-Type and would have saved thousands and had the same performance. Of course no Darth Vader look which was a lot of the appeal.

Don't pay attention and all you see is taillights in the distance. IMO these turbo regals were definitely factory sleepers!

They were about as close to a factory sleeper as I can think of, but a sleeper is about appearing to be something it isn't. Every fast factory car I can think of has some sort of distinguishing feature; emblems. colors, wheels, something.

Count me as you can't buy a factory built "true sleeper".

I worked for a Buick when T-Types and Grand Nationals were new (and turbo pace car TransAms and Cyclones too)

I'd love to have a nice T-Type they were every bit a grand national under the skin and were "sleeperish" (understated is a better word in my opinion) but anyone who was not an imbecile knew what it was...

You are entitled to your opinion of course but I disagree. The T-Type is a perfect example of a factory sleeper.

The mid to late 80's Buick Regal T-Types with the GN's turbo 3.8L were as plain Jane as they come but look out if you took one on. Definitely a factory sleeper. I almost bought one. I really wanted a GN but the costw as too high. Instead I looked into a Regal T-Type and would have saved thousands and had the same performance. Of course no Darth Vader look which was a lot of the appeal.

Don't pay attention and all you see is taillights in the distance. IMO these turbo regals were definitely factory sleepers!

They were about as close to a factory sleeper as I can think of, but a sleeper is about appearing to be something it isn't. Every fast factory car I can think of has some sort of distinguishing feature; emblems. colors, wheels, something.

I worked for a Buick when T-Types and Grand Nationals were new (and turbo pace car TransAms and Cyclones too)

I'd love to have a nice T-Type they were every bit a grand national under the skin and were "sleeperish" (understated is a better word in my opinion) but anyone who was not an imbecile knew what it was...

You are entitled to your opinion of course but I disagree. The T-Type is a perfect example of a factory sleeper.

You know it is funny, there is a Buick rally in town. I walked out yesterday to find a sickly light blue stock T-Type in the parking lot. It is less of a sleeper than I remembered...

No side moldings, unique wheels, 3.8 SFI Turbo and/or T-Type emblems literally everywhere you look (including the hood ornament) black grill insert, black insert headlamp doors... the list goes on.

Nope, not a sleeper - you'd have to be absolutely daft to mistake it for anything other than a performance car...

On a separate note, who would have think there were actually 4 Reattas on the road much less in the same place...

You know it is funny, there is a Buick rally in town. I walked out yesterday to find a sickly light blue stock T-Type in the parking lot. It is less of a sleeper than I remembered...

No side moldings, unique wheels, 3.8 SFI Turbo and/or T-Type emblems literally everywhere you look (including the hood ornament) black grill insert, black insert headlamp doors... the list goes on.

Nope, not a sleeper - you'd have to be absolutely daft to mistake it for anything other than a performance car...

On a separate note, who would have think there were actually 4 Reattas on the road much less in the same place...

Whatever dude.

The Turbo Minivan guy had an awesome sleeper too. POS Grand Caravan on the outside but would run all day with Vettes and such at the 1/4 mile track. Complete with fake wood panneling IIRC.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I love that car, what makes it even better is it is a Ford with an LS based motor in it.

Only you GM guys would think that makes it better, LOL!
wink.gif

I'd love to see one with a 1,000HP TT Termi swap. But that's more $$$$. And that's usually the determining factor in these types of builds.

cheers3.gif

I love that car, what makes it even better is it is a Ford with an LS based motor in it.

wink.gif

I'd love to see one with a 1,000HP TT Termi swap. But that's more $$$$. And that's usually the determining factor in these types of builds.

cheers3.gif

Well...sure it does...
wink.gif

wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Well...sure it does...
wink.gif

Well, of course unless you are GM guy who loves putting GM engines in Ford cars to PO the blue-blood crowd, LOL!
grin.gif

wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Well...sure it does...
wink.gif

Well, of course unless you are GM guy who loves putting GM engines in Ford cars to PO the blue-blood crowd, LOL!
grin.gif

That would be this guy...
smile.gif

Another personal favorite. Makes the VW fast and reliable...
smile.gif

21967d1174273253-swapping-2-2t-into-rabbit-what-turbo_dodge_in_a_jettas.jpg

Mopar 2.2 turbo in VW.

So do I make the Sleeper category??
smile.gif

500HP at the Wheels, up from 340 stock.
grin.gif

bewjux.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back