Simple Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Simple Green is being used by some gunsmiths to clean guns. Is Simple Green safe and effective for cleaning guns? If it is, it is cheap and readily available.

Safe, cheap and effective. You can find it in grocery stores, automotive stores and who knows where else.

It works best if its hot but works pretty good at room temperature.

For bare steel, you should dry the part and oil it afterwards. Think of it as good detergent.

Don't soak high strength aluminum parts in it for long periods of time, it very slowly eats them away. No problem with cleaning aluminum parts if you rinse them off afterwards.

There are two types by the way: The household stuff in the clear bottle (which stinks something awful) and the automotive degreaser type, which I like a lot and doesn't stink as much.

For me this is good news! I used to love the smell of Hoppe's #9 as a kid (weird I know). In theory we have way less toxcity here!!!!

Would you recommend microwaving Simple Green before cleaning? I have always used Simple Green at room or ambient temperature.

For example, chemically BLEACH works best colder because warm or hot water wears away or depletes.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
For me this is good news! I used to love the smell of Hoppe's #9 as a kid (weird I know). In theory we have way less toxcity here!!!!

Would you recommend microwaving Simple Green before cleaning? I have always used Simple Green at room or ambient temperature.

Try different concentrations, sometimes cutting it 1:1 with hot water works better than straight and that's an easy way to get it hotter. I don't find the smell offensive, but it does have a distinct smell. You might not like the smell of it in your house if you nuke it.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies. I wanted to make sure that it was safe to use Simple Green for gun cleaning. I have now heard about using Simple Green twice from sites on the internet. When I was checking out TW25B a guy who uses that said that he had learned from Special Forces guys about using Simple Green to clean guns. And then the Special Forces guys were using a very light coat of TW25B to protect their weapons. A very light coat would not encourage dust to collect on their weapons. I also came across information that a competition shooter and gunsmith was using Simple Green.

There are dollar stores around here where it is possible to buy Simple Green for a buck. That is a lot cheaper then gun cleaning solutions. As long as the stuff works and cleans well it is fine with me. I am fairly well sold on lubricating the guy with TW25B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back