BARIUM 0 0 1 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 62.4 58.1 67.1 62.4 61.9

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.88 9.69 12.18 10.88 10.74

Flashpoint in °F 385 320 415 320 355

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.2 0.5 0.2 0.2

The Silkolene turned into a middle 30 weight and the shifting was terrible. I had force myself to keep it in there for the full six months. The Amsoil did better and was cheaper as well. I'm trying Maxima this time around.

I have a new filter gasket on order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than a little spike in the copper, I don't see a significant difference between any of the oils. I don't think you can fault the oil for the increase in silicon. The viscosities of the oils also seem quite consistent. If you want to drain thicker oil out, put thicker oil in.

Did the shifting with the Silkolene seem markedly different to the other oils?

Originally Posted By: KernelK
Other than a little spike in the copper, I don't see a significant difference between any of the oils. I don't think you can fault the oil for the increase in silicon. The viscosities of the oils also seem quite consistent. If you want to drain thicker oil out, put thicker oil in.

Did the shifting with the Silkolene seem markedly different to the other oils?

The shifting was easily the worst of any oil I have tried in my Strom. It felt like the clutch never really let go when disengaged. The Torco and Castrol were the best with Amsoil in between.

The Amsoil that didn't have high fuel dilution came out at 12.18cSt while the Silkolene only managed 10.88, the same as the Amsoil with really bad fuel dilition. The Castrol did even worse, ending close to a 20 weight, but had fuel dilution making it look worse than it really was.

Amsoil: High 30 weight - no fuel
Silkolene: Mid 30 weight - no fuel
Castrol: Low 30 weight - %2.8 fuel

I have a new air filter gasket on order to fix the silicon trouble. I don't blame the oil for that.

never mind... I found it...

silkolene.jpg

And it even says "race" on the label, so it's gotta be pretty good.

I wouldn't pay any attention to these UOA numbers, bein' as the motorcycle on the label is indeed cool looking enough, and what with "race" right there on the label, I mean, what more could you ask for.

I don't think they're charging enough for this oil, if you ask me. It's made by "fuchs" also...

...and it's looking like that's only one consonant away from what they did to you.
wink.gif

lol.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Dan

Strom Rider...

I'm sorry if I offended... I was just trying to introduce a bit of levity to the thread...

...but I must admit that the collective lack of a sense of humor among the general membership here continues to be a curious thing...

54.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
Strom Rider...

I'm sorry if I offended... I was just trying to introduce a bit of levity to the thread...

...but I must admit that the collective lack of a sense of humor among the general membership here continues to be a curious thing...

54.gif
21.gif

I'm not offended. I am surprised this UOA got so few replies though. I thought it would be interesting to try an oil that hasn't been posted on BITOG before. (AFAIK)

I appreciate the fact that you tested the oil and posted the results. This info adds to the body of information at this forum, and of course continues to show that these specialty motor oils really don't offer anything that conventional PCMO's offer... I'm sure that Pennzoil 10W40 would have done at least as well, but probably better...

I think if you'll run some Rotella 15W40 in the bike, and UOA that... you'll blow the previous UOA's out of the water. :)

The 15W40 diesel oils are rich in good additives, and robust enough to handle the gear box as well. But the base oil of the 15W40's is where the true advantage is. They won't shear easily, as you'll see if you try the Rotella...

The thread has had a lot of views... folks are reading it, and presumably appreciating it. For any part my comments had in derailing the main intent of the thread (to share information and discuss the results), I am sorry.

Now... on to the actual results...

With equal rises in copper and lead, it's possible that this oil hasn't taken as good a care of your bearings as the others did. While we don't have a VOA on this oil, I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't find copper and lead in the additive pack, at least not to the extent shown here.

While those numbers are comparatively high (copper and lead), they are not catastrophic. I would assume that the thinning of the oil caused its film to break through more often than it should have, causing the barrier additives to be called into action... not the best kind of lubrication, of course. The oil's viscosity should not drop below 40 weight in my opinion, especially in a shared tranny/engine design.

The Castrol sheared more that this oil did, according to your report, and it only took around 1300 miles to get it to pee-water status. But fuel dilution probably contributed to that. You got heavy fuel on one of the Amsoil runs also... and that oil sheared that time, but not the next time.

I would strongly recommend Rotella conventional 15W40, on a 2500 mile run next time. I think you'll see a much better report, and your gear box will probably thank you as well (smoother shifting).

Dan

This fully synthetic "ester based" oil is cleaning your engine. I would not worry about the iron and copper for now and get at least one more UOA on the same oil. I have used Silkolene in the past in my CBR9000RR with no problem. Given the choice of all the oils you have run in the past I would still select the Silkolene because it is ester based.

If there is much ester at all in this formula, it isn't a lot...

I don't see how a group V oil would shear as much as this one did with no fuel dilution to blame it on.

As to cleaning... I think if that were the case, we'd see other elements such as Aluminum and Chromium running commensurately higher here... but that isn't the case.

I would still think the source is bearing wear, accelerated by an oil that thinned too much.

Try a 15W40 diesel oil next time and see how much better it will be...

Dan

I find the post imtersting as the silk is a group v ester oil near $15 per quart.

It didnt do anything to earn that price, and I'm suprised the shifting and clutch action deteriorated.

Have you tried the Mobil1 High milege oil?

If there is much ester at all in this formula, it isn't a lot...

I don't see how a group V oil would shear as much as this one did with no fuel dilution to blame it on.

Dan

There is no VOA so how do you know that this oil has sheared that much, and also compared to what? All of the other oils suffered the same fate even the Amsoil. Some bikes are just really hard on oil. You can not do a trend with just one data point. Like BLackStone said this could just be a leaking air filter.

Last edited:
well... it's labeled as a 40 weight... so it's either sheared considerably or they outright lied on the label. This oil is fast on it's way to a TWENTY weight. Pee-water at 15 bucks a quart anyone?
crackmeup2.gif

In either case, that's bad juju.

The Amsoil sheared due to fuel dilution. The Silkolene can't blame it on that (less than 0.5% fuel).

If the oil hadn't sheared so much, we might be able to call it an air filter issue... but it's doubtful even then, because a leaking air filter will cause cylinder wall and ring wear metals to accelerate, and we're not seeing that here. Aluminum and Chromium really hasn't jumped exponentially like the lead and copper have. Lead and copper usually come from bearings, which is why I think it's the thinning of the oil that has run those numbers up.

Rotella 15W40 would do much better.
25.gif

fyi,
there is another zook 650 uoa that was just done.
had almost 1100 more miles on the uoa and had more susvis.
oh yeah, and it was SuperTech walmart oil. $9 a GALLON!!!!

HA HA HA!

sorry if that sounds like sarcasm. oh, wait, it is!

$60 a gal vs $9 a gal. hmmmmmmm
6x plus
wow

I've used Silkolene Pro 4 in several bikes with no problems...but of course never did a UOA.I started using it in a Honda XLV750 because of a heat issue (caused by another fault) and found the shifting better than previous oils.I have Pro4 15/50 in my Honda TLR200,and found the clutch and shifting better than the 15/40 HDEO I had used previous.But the same oil in my XT600 gave very bad shifting....moving to Gulf Western Top Dog 15/40 improved the gearchange dramatically.

Silkolene was the cheapest synthetic motorcycle oil available to me - but I'm in a different part of the world.

well... it's labeled as a 40 weight... so it's either sheared considerably or they outright lied on the label. This oil is fast on it's way to a TWENTY weight.

Looks like it sheared to a 30wt to me
54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back