Silicone on backside of brake pad?

I have a guy that does my brakes for me for like $80.00, but they always squeak bad afterwards. The auto parts stores always give you those green silicone brake grease packets. Do you use thst stuff on the backside and the ears of the pad to prevent this stealing? I'm pretty he never does and that's the issue.

I always put grease on the backing plates and clips. Seems to eliminate squeaking.

If your caliper pins have rubber boots, I would make sure to only use silicon grease as other types of grease may eat up the rubber.

Also I would also look into brake bedding. It may help.
Like regular wheel bearing grease?

Most of the pads I use have anti-squeal shims on the caliper piston side of the pads' backing plate, so never had such a problem. Shims are also available separately for many applications.

Also I would also look into brake bedding. It may help.

This is an astute point. Most people I know don't perform proper bedding, but it's an important step for many brake pad types. I've found good bedding can eliminate a lot annoying brake issues. Pad manufacturers normally include instructions in their packages.

Most of the pads I use have anti-squeal shims on the caliper piston side of the pads' backing plate, so never had such a problem. Shims are also available separately for many applications.

This is an astute point. Most people I know don't perform proper bedding, but it's an important step for many brake pad types. I've found good bedding can eliminate a lot annoying brake issues. Pad manufacturers normally include instructions in their packages.
There's plenty of idiots in my area I slam on the brakes for.

Not a fan of using any sort of grease/silicone there as it would attract dirt & debris that could wear out the caliper piston seals. That being said, if I had to use something, it would be an appropriate brake lube that's compatible with the seals.

I would NOT use anti seize because there's grease in there and who knows what kind it is. Generally a good idea to keep oils and greases away from seals unless you know what its made of.

Check your service manual. Some Toyota/Lexus specify putting disc brake grease on both sides of the inner shims that ride against the pads (some have two shims per pad).

Back