Signs all over Southern Utah interstate expect delays during the solar eclipse 14 Oct 2023

Not surprising. When the last solar eclipse was here about 10 years ago. My home was in the zone of totality. My cul-de-sac was parked full of out of state plates for about an hour and a half. I think half of Iowa and Minnesota was in Kansas City that day. If you have never experienced a total eclipse. its worth the effort.

Delays in what?
The only thing I can think of is motorists pulling over to take a look, thus clogging the roads a bit.
Interstate 15 is just like many Interstates. During holiday weekends there are too many cars-and not enough pavement. Major slow crawling traffic. The Eclipse will bring in many people and major dollars to all the small towns between Nephi and St. George, UT. Farmers will rent out their pastures for camping, towns people will sell food, etc.

I hope the "major dollars" part comes true for the local coffers.

A local told me of the absolute debacle which accompanied Evil Kinevil's Sky Cycle jump over the Snake River Canyon.

Not surprised. As CKN points out, the Utah communities in the path of the 2023 lunar eclipse are, for the most part, very small towns, with populations of only a few hundred. I imagine that they will be overwhelmed with visitors. On a whim, my wife and I considered adding the solar eclipse to a vacation we have planned. I looked at RV parks in the small communities of Sevier, Monroe, and Marysvale. Nothing, except one RV park with had a large field that they were using to rent out spaces for dry camping.

My wife and I watched the 2017 solar eclipse in the small town of Victor, Idaho, which with a population of about 2300, is significantly larger than most of the Central Utah towns that the 2023 eclipse will pass over. Getting in was no problem, as we arrived a few hours before the event. But getting out took over 3 hours, for a section of highway that would normally take an hour. A friend who watched the eclipse from Rigby, Idaho, said it took 8 hours to get home to Ogden, Utah, a trip that would normally take about 2 1/2 hours.

The cool thing about the path of the 2023 eclipse, is it will be passing over some gorgeous remote areas of Utah. For those that planned in advance, and are camping out in South Eastern Utah, I suspect they will get a real treat.

Not surprising. When the last solar eclipse was here about 10 years ago. My home was in the zone of totality. My cul-de-sac was parked full of out of state plates for about an hour and a half. I think half of Iowa and Minnesota was in Kansas City that day. If you have never experienced a total eclipse. its worth the effort.
Granddaughter and I drove to a dirt road in Missouri to watch last eclipse. Took my small Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill and had a BBQ. No towns or other distracting lights in sight. We had a great time!

It seemed like the last one in IL had half the state going south towards Carbondale for the eclipse. I wasn't part of it but they clogged up i57 and i55.

I was in suburban St. Louis for that one. It was defintely worth the effort.

What should have been a 3 hour drive home, was more lieke 6. It was awful. Finally had to get off of I-55 and start using the secondary and county highways. I-55 (or any road that paralleled I-55) was bumper to bumper, even out in the middle of nowhere... 50 miles outside of St. Louis.

Last edited:
Delays in what?
The only thing I can think of is motorists pulling over to take a look, thus clogging the roads a bit.

I doubt the Highway Patrol will tolerate people pulling over on the side of I-15 or I-70 to view the eclipse.

Most will view the eclipse from every city park, RV park, campground and such, that is available under the path. The delays will be the amount of traffic on every highway, of all the people trying to go home after the eclipse is over. I imagine, with all the tourists that will gather under the path of the eclipse, that these little towns will have 2x - 3X, perhaps even 5x their population, in visitors. And most all of them are going to want to head home at the same time.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I doubt the Highway Patrol will tolerate people pulling over on the side of I-15 or I-70 to view the eclipse.

The delays will be the amount of traffic on every highway, of all the people trying to go home after the eclipse is over. I imagine, with all the tourists that will gather under the path of the eclipse, that these little towns will have 2x - 3X, perhaps even 5x their population, in visitors. And most all of them are going to want to head home at the same time.
They will have zero tolerance for it.

Got lucky during the last total eclipse that came through. Live in the path of totality (30 miles East of Nashville). Just went from the couch to the front yard. Lol.

Planning a trip to St Louis for the total eclipse in April 2024. Truly a spectacular phenomenon.

Throw a sheet down on the ground and you can see the sun's corona dancing on the ground. ;)

and here I thought this thread would have something to do with the tinfoil hat crowd.

They might not, but they'll probably be very busy with other stuff.

Bring your own gas and food, the local vendors will be overwhelmed. And the cell towers too.

I was told EK's Snake River jump attracted the "scum with campers and time on their hands" crowd.
They hung out and took a long time to leave the stupid event.
They littered a lot and used streets and private land to defecate and urinate.
At the time, the producers hadn't even removed the "gantry".

The reality of police is that once outnumbered and if something is done in bulk like that they chose their battles and work the situation. Thankfully our society is pretty compliant.

Back