Shop put WRONG muffler on

Status
Not open for further replies.
granted it took me 2 fittings, but my 94 Ranger got about 75$ worth of Auto Zone parts. It needed a cat and a new muffler. I re-used as much of the existing hack job as I could. It is a 4.0 V6 I had the wye pipe off to do the clutch. Where I'm guessing the cat was was 3 " pipe welded onto the wye. I grafted in the 2 1/2" in and out OEM cat from old Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I used adapters and clamps and hitched it to the bodged intermediate pipe into a stock size Walker muffler. The muffler ends half way back under the bed. Not even a down turn. Amazingly quiet and no drone. It is still quiet after a year, so I'm happy

Seems I recall about 10 years ago they had a Walker Quiet Flow that was supposed to be freer flowing yet quiet. Interesting thing, when I call Dynomax customer service they answer Walker.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Seems I recall about 10 years ago they had a Walker Quiet Flow that was supposed to be freer flowing yet quiet. Interesting thing, when I call Dynomax customer service they answer Walker.

Dynomax is Walker's performance line of exhaust. They still make the Quiet flow muffler. I believe now it is called the quiet flow III. I've seen it on RockAuto. Many Autoparts stores don't carry the Flowmaster 60 and 70 series because they wouldn't sell many of them. They are much more expensive then the FM40 and only a bit quieter. Most people looking for a flowmaster want loud. I think the Super Turbo is the way to go for your truck.
thumbsup2.gif

Super Turbo is on the truck now. My son listened from inside the house when I took off this morning. He said: "It was MUCH quieter. To me it was no louder than the F-150 was. I think it's half as loud as the Flowmaster 40." (My son already has a Dynomax Super Turbo ordered for his 2001 4-banger S10.) The F-150 was a 4.9L with a Flowtech Raptor turbo muffler (same as the Dynomax but no sound absorption material and no flow directors) with a side exit.

I put the Dynomax on Monday night and finished the side pipe yesterday. Definintely a lot quieter, the gentleman's muffler vs the redneck sound of the Flowmaster 40. We are going to do a freeway ramp video clip tonight and I hope to post it tomorrow.

Super Turbo is on the truck now. My son listened from inside the house when I took off this morning. He said: "It was MUCH quieter. To me it was no louder than the F-150 was. I think it's half as loud as the Flowmaster 40." (My son already has a Dynomax Super Turbo ordered for his 2001 4-banger S10.) The F-150 was a 4.9L with a Flowtech Raptor turbo muffler (same as the Dynomax but no sound absorption material and no flow directors) with a side exit.

I put the Dynomax on Monday night and finished the side pipe yesterday. Definintely a lot quieter, the gentleman's muffler vs the redneck sound of the Flowmaster 40. We are going to do a freeway ramp video clip tonight and I hope to post it tomorrow.

Sounds good! Do a drive-by clip as well if you could. I feel those are a better gauge as to how your exhaust sounds to bystanders.

Here is the Dynomax Super Turbo on the Ranger:

For comparison, here was the Flowmaster 40:

Sorry no drive by on the Flowmaster, but will try to get one on the Dynomax this weekend. It is a lot quieter but close on when your run it out to high rpm, which is nice, that is when you want it louder.

Dynomax win. I bought a super turbo to replace the Flowmaster 80 on my Grand Am. I like loud, just not on a six or a four banger!

Flomaster 40 vs Dynomax turbo is apples to oranges. They should both reduce backpressure fine but the shop should have known that the noise level would be very different.

Last edited:
The Dynomax definitely sounds better on your truck. Dynomax and Gibson are really all you should ever mess with on I4 Rangers. FM 40 is a no go with those little engines, too much racket.

I have it the stock 2.5 inch from the Cat, stepping down to 2.25 inch to the muffler which is also 2.25 inch, then same 90 degree turn out the muffler, stepping down to 2 inch, followed by a 135 degree for the outlet, which stops an inch inside the fender. Given that exhaust gas cools, I figure the pipes stepping down is a good idea to maintain flow. The original system was 2.5" from the cat, jointed to 2" for the rest, so I have opened it up some.

After the video I added a short tip with a incurved edge to bring it to just outside the lower fender line. It is at the wheel well too. The incurved tip disrupts the flow at the edge for sound control, and it seemed to make it a little quieter on the freeway.

When I first installed it Monday night I didn't have a clamp for the tailpipe, so did a run to the parts store with the outlet of the muffler under the bed. That was terribly loud!

At any rate I really like this Dynomax setup.

Here is a comparison at idle. I stood about 5 feet from the tail pipe, which exits in front of the rear tire. First 12 seconds is the Dynomax Super Turbo at idle. Next 12 seconds is the Flowmaster Original 40 Series at idle. The last part is back to the Dynomax, but I rev it twice. You can see how obnoxiously loud the Flowmaster is at idle.

Speaking of which, here's a nightmare for anyone familiar with exhaust systems: try putting a pair of duals on a V8 Chevy Vega!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
followed by a 135 degree for the outlet,
confused2.gif
21.gif

Yeah, I figured that would quiet it down if it bent back on itself. Actually it would be 135 degree as the actual angle of the bend, but is 45 degrees off from a straight pipe. We are just looking at it from different angles.

Here it is:
Ranger.jpg

Center exit muffler would have worked better clearing the leaf spring. That's not a flexible pipe, but the inside of a bend.

That's one advantage of getting the kit...mandrel bends and exact fit. I put the Dynomax kit on my old truck in my driveway without even lifting it up. I just chopped up the old exhaust with a Sawzall and took it off, then bolted up the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back