Shop put WRONG muffler on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should post a vid of my dakota with a thrush turbo muffler, the cheapest ($18) thing that looks like a legal muffler. It's under the cab and bed and exits straight rearward so it resonates off both the floor and the road.

My's a stick so when it's cold and I decellerate in gear it pops and sounds positively pimpin.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Sounds like the muffler fell off.

Exactly!

I don't know about the Thrush, but I put a Flowtech Raptor $25 muffler on my F150 4.9L and that sounded very good, no resonance and not too loud but you could hear it and it had a quiet but authoritative growl. Also I had mine exit out the side. Under the bed is going to resonate.

to me it sounds like a brave honda civic with a [censored] can . i like the loud v8 rumble sound 4 bangers should just be quiet. you can put a 12yr old in a power ranger suite but it doesn't make him a bad [censored]. lol that's how i see it a little kid who thinks he is tough and a v8 a grown man who knows he can hold his own. whenever i think of a loud 4 cylinder i picture the kids on talladega nights. "i'm onnly ten yrs old but ill beat your a**!! lol

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
you can put a 12yr old in a power ranger suite but it doesn't make him a bad [censored].

OMG dude, I'm in tears here, even got my wife laughing with this one!

The Dynomax Super Turbo is my favorite muffler. Nice mellow tone on a V-8. Never used one on anything smaller though. I might try one on my 4.0 Ranger one of these days. Flowmaster = To loud for me.

Yes the Dynomax super turbo is the way to go. Have one on the Aerostar for last 7 years and it's still in good condition. Definitely the FM40 makes the Ranger sound like it needs about 200 more horsepower and 4 more cylinders.

I've got a Dynomax setup w/ stainless tips on my Silverado and IMO the sound is great, never a drone. My 57 has Flowmaster 40's on 3" pipes and is LOUD lol, but for a hobby car it's fine. I would never use them on a daily driver.

404391005.jpg

It sounds like an awful lot of work and headaches for an old pickup, just to sound noisy. Why not just put a regular (quiet) muffler on it and be done? The noisy mufflers come across as juvenile-I'd expect it from a high school kid but not a mature adult.

Quite bluntly, particularly when it's on a pickup, noisy mufflers just seem silly and immature.

The Dynomax Super Turbo is the answer including to the last three posts. I have it on the Aerostar and it is by no means loud. I can hear the intake more on that car. But it has a long tailpipe. I am hoping with the side exit to get a nice note and be able to hear it. Nothing wrong with a nice sounding but reasonably quiet exhaust. They do not have to be stone quiet.

As for buying a cooler car, I would not put the Flowmaster 40 on a 70 Road Runner. Way too loud. Half as loud would be plenty on the Road Runner.

It's strange that this thread has turned into a thread bashing the OP's choice of vehicle as being not cool enough. Especially because it seems some people are bashing him over the sound of a muffler he didn't choose.

Anyway, I hope the OP can get this taken care of in a timely fashion. I wouldn't be happy in his situation. But, I think it could be difficult getting the shop to fix this. Hopefully it isn't, though.

Yeah, I noticed the bashing, but took it lightly. It's rice insofar as it is way too loud for a 4-banger. But the FM does not really exhibit any rice quality in the sound. I may have someone who wants the muffler and if he removes it and slaps on the Dynomax as part of the deal I'll be happy. I really don't like the idea of going back to the bad shop even for the R&R and it's like, why am I going back? He isn't going to give me jack, if he replaces it I am still stuck with the FM. I can't see him refunding any cash. His loss is my business goes elsewhere from now on. With 5 vehicles in my driveway, that is a lot of business. I called today and offered to make it simple, I stop in monday later afternoon, he hoist it, cut the FM off, clamp on the Dynomax and one hanger and we're done. No welding, no tailpipe (I can do that easy enough), 20 minute job. Still put off to a week from Monday. What carp!

Originally Posted By: Mud
I've got a Dynomax setup w/ stainless tips on my Silverado and IMO the sound is great, never a drone. My 57 has Flowmaster 40's on 3" pipes and is LOUD lol, but for a hobby car it's fine. I would never use them on a daily driver.

Nice truck Mud. How about a sound clip of the Dynomax setup?

I'll be sure to put up a clip of mine once it's changed out.

I actually thought it sounded OK in the video...

But "sounds like a B52..."? You should be so lucky...the B-52 has 8 turbojet engines...and makes a sound like roaring thunder...everyone, and I mean everyone, would get out of your way with that sound...

Maybe you meant a B-17 (big radials...unmuffled...)...

The dynomax will sound much better. If you think the Flowmaster annoys you now, wait a week. I had one on my Jeep and thought it was cool when first installed. A month later I ripped it off and put on the Dynomax super turbo.

Cut a bit of a slash on the exit pipe. Angle it towards the ground. 45 degrees - but just a partial , not a sharp tip on top.
Do you have a resonator? If not, it will help a lot.
Drone is annoying.

There are two broad classes of muffler technology- absorptive and reactive. Reactive mufflers use baffles and multiple internal pathways to create resonances to cancel/reduce sound, absorptive use baffles and soft materials ("fiberglass" but tougher) to damp sound waves.

The sounds are inherently different. Flowmasters are reactive, Dynomax and Magnaflow are absorptive. I prefer absorptive mufflers because the final sound tends to be lower pitched and somehow more "mellow."

Originally Posted By: Astro14

But "sounds like a B52..."? You should be so lucky...the B-52 has 8 turbojet engines...and makes a sound like roaring thunder...everyone, and I mean everyone, would get out of your way with that sound...

As someone in the flightpath of the largest B-52 base (in the whole danged air force), I can testify that flowmasters don't do that noise justice.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: Astro14

As someone in the flightpath of the largest B-52 base (in the whole danged air force), I can testify that flowmasters don't do that noise justice.

Yes it sounds great in the video, brand new, not "seasoned" yet. Even now when seasoned it sounds good revving out.

Yep you got me. I don't know jack about airplaines. I'll take your advice and call it a B-17 from now on.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The dynomax will sound much better. If you think the Flowmaster annoys you now, wait a week. I had one on my Jeep and thought it was cool when first installed. A month later I ripped it off and put on the Dynomax super turbo.

Yep, it was about a week and 200-300 miles that it got much worse. It is definitely seasoned now.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Cut a bit of a slash on the exit pipe. Angle it towards the ground. 45 degrees - but just a partial , not a sharp tip on top. Do you have a resonator? If not, it will help a lot.
Drone is annoying.
I don't think it will help that much the resonation is in the muffler case, apparently designed that way. Need half inch of heat proof spray on insulation. No resonator, was removed with stock muffler. I don't plan on resonator with the Dynomax either.

I even had a 8.5" pipe of approx 1.4" diameter mounted inside the tailpipe, with the between area blocked--still way too loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back