Shop overfilled the oil in my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone i noticed when i got home from getting the oil changed few hours later i went to check the oil and it was past the full mark is this ok or should i drain some out? Its about an inch past the full mark.

Its a 1995 buick century 3.1 v6.

Last edited:
Unless its WAY over the full mark, just ignore it. Dipsticks aren't precision instruments and engines aren't that sensitive to oil level anyway.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Unless its WAY over the full mark, just ignore it. Dipsticks aren't precision instruments and engines aren't that sensitive to oil level anyway.

Usually up to about 3/8" over maximum is fine.

An inch past the full mark sounds a bit too much, so I would just remove the oil filter and drain that.
I just changed oil in my Focus for the first time and not knowing exactly home much oil to put in, I poured too much. its less than half an inch after the full mark and I don't see any bubbles on the dipstic after I shut the engine down, so I just left it alone.

I like to keep mine always touching the top FULL line. Too much ain't good. Not enough ain't good either.

A '95 Century? There isn't much that can hurt these cars. I can't believe how littered the roads are with these cars 16 years after they quit making them. (Ciera too!)

See what your owner's manual says. Some of my older Fords allowed about half inch over. But an inch does seem too high.

The difference between min and max is often 1 quart and it's often about an inch on the dipstick. So this is quite possibly an overfill that needs to be corrected.

If you can't find reference information to establish how bad it is, the safe thing will be to drain it. The filter removal is a good way of doing that. Gives you a chance to check the filter too!

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
Hey everyone i noticed when i got home from getting the oil changed few hours later i went to check the oil and it was past the full mark is this ok or should i drain some out? Its about an inch past the full mark.

Its a 1995 buick century 3.1 v6.

That's WAY too much. Don't drive it like this, as the oil may end up being whipped into foam by the crankshaft, leading to momentary oil-starvation.

Do drive it directly back to the oil-change place, and have THEM drain off what's needed to make the level correct. With the car over the pit, it will be simple and quick for them to do this.

The very least you should expect when you pay for work to be done is for it to be done correctly. An inch over is NOT "correct".

Many engines' dipsticks span abut a quart from upper to lower marks. Get the shop to drain off a quart. Then let the car sit for at least overnight, then measure the level again. If it is now between the marks, then you're fine.

im gonna check it out tomorrow as the car will be sitting a whole day then see whats the level looking like if its an inch still i will go to the shop to have them drain some.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
im gonna check it out tomorrow as the car will be sitting a whole day then see whats the level looking like if its an inch still i will go to the shop to have them drain some.
My experience is if the car sits that long if anything it will show higher. You would think the shop would be more inclined to short you a complete fill to save money, but the dummies must just put what the book says, and if it is coming out a hose from a drum, who knows if it is properly calibrated.

I'd just use my Amsoil Extractor pump which is screwed onto an old 1 gallon apple cider vinegar bottle and pull about a pint of the excess out the dipstick tube. I have the vinegar bottle marked at 1, 2, 3 and 4 gal levels with masking tape. Old school.....
whistle.gif

Let it set and then check again. Me thinks an inch is a little much.

Last edited:
you guys are all making me worried now
frown.gif
i hope its gonna be fine i just bought this car 2 days ago and trying to do everything i can to keep it in good shape.

Im not gonna drain my filter like i said i just got a oil change and new oil filter done today and came home and realized its a lil past the full mark.

Draining the filter can be messy but should limit the quantity removed. Unless a big filter you won't get more than 1/3 to 1/2 quart out. OTOH, draining some off at the plug can be a disaster if you drop the plug.

I really like my Fumoto drain valve, but would never ask a shop to work it. Just don't trust them. Some shops might remove the valve.

Can one just pull the dipstick while the engine is running to see if it is foaming? If it's not foaming why worry?

And if this is a "new to me" car with an unknown history, it might well correct itself in time...

Originally Posted By: supton
Can one just pull the dipstick while the engine is running to see if it is foaming? If it's not foaming why worry?

And if this is a "new to me" car with an unknown history, it might well correct itself in time...

The car doesn't have to be running. Just shut off the car after your commute and immediately pull the dipstick. If there are a lot of bubbles on it, the level is too high, if there is clean oil on it with one or two bubbles, you're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back