Shipping containers piling up at Chinese ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
God forbid that we spend our money on locally- or regionally-made products and keep our neighbors with solid, good-paying jobs! 🤬
Well said.
This is exactly why I bought a Tesla. There used to be 2 major car plants here: Milpitas Ford Plant, Mustangs baby! and Fremont GM, pickups, Olds Holiday (our 4-4-2), El Caminos and more. Ford left; it is now The Great Mall. GM became NUMMI with Toyota. My 1993 Toyota 4WD strippie was made there. At its peak NUMMI had almost 9,000 workers; when they shuttered the local community suffered. People lost houses, restaurants closed, etc. Local tax base was decimated. Musk chose NUMMI when Fremont offered him a sweet heart deal, he played his cards well. Today they employ more than 20,000 workers and Tesla is always hiring. Good jobs. Tesla is the biggest employer in the area. I salute that and will support that. By the way, Tesla's investment in Fremont continues. They are retooling now for the Highland and (some day) the new Roadster will be built there. The S and X lines are there as well.

I have not been a blue coat worker for many years but I support and honor labor. Not everyone will be a lowly programmer like me.

I have not been a blue coat worker for many years but I support and honor labor. Not everyone will be a lowly programmer like me.
A lowly programmer?? Surely you jest! I seem to remember someone who thought super highly of himself and all his crap ideas who told people that manufacturing jobs were “gone forever”, and people should “learn how to code”… and then somehow a whole bunch of manufacturing jobs were created around 6 years ago. Weird. 👍🏻

Ross Perot was right about NAFTA....it sent American jobs south of the border.....which is still better than sending them to our main global adversary.
In seventh grade I got to vote for Ross Perot but it was only a school event. What I learned was that you can pick whoever but have facts and solid beliefs on why we chose who we did.

A lowly programmer?? Surely you jest! I seem to remember someone who thought super highly of himself and all his crap ideas who told people that manufacturing jobs were “gone forever”, and people should “learn how to code”… and then somehow a whole bunch of manufacturing jobs were created around 6 years ago. Weird. 👍🏻
I remember that too. Ah the annoited one. I say believe in your countrymen even when the times are tough. Dad always told me if everyone was a genius then who would cook their breakfast,drive them to work,clean their house,etc. We don't get to do the job we sometimes want to, but dreams and believing in self can get us to places we never thought existed.

I remember that too. Ah the annoited one. I say believe in your countrymen even when the times are tough. Dad always told me if everyone was a genius then who would cook their breakfast,drive them to work,clean their house,etc. We don't get to do the job we sometimes want to, but dreams and believing in self can get us to places we never thought existed.
EBC4A3A4-D17E-4D0D-8B2F-027CB759BE56.jpeg

Hmm, shipping containers piling up in China? I remember thousands of flatcars parked on rail lines along the Missouri River prior to the 2009 recession. Later an article said shipments were down and BNSF needed a place for excess railcars.

Anyone driving along the Missouri? Report back. :)
They regularly park those baretables all over the place, we have unused branch lines where they will shove 30 miles of them into storage for months at a time, doesn't necessarily mean anything. The beginning of the year is always slower in the RR and when furloughs and rail car storage generally happen, volumes are not down drastically though this year from what I've seen over the last 20 yrs I've been in the industry.

I call myself "a lowly programmer" because I don't like people who flaunt their money. I am a hope-to-die alcoholic who got lucky. I got sober and things got better. But I know I am one of the lucky ones and I don't take it for gtanted. So yeah, I am "a lowly programmer".

Cost over 52,000 [some were my friends] lives for the priveledge of buying low cost stuff from Vietnam.
Yeah, rough time in the USA back then. Everyone knew someone who didnt come home. I have the highest respect for those who serve.
As far though as the rest of the post regarding Vietnam, just like our enemies of the past wars, including WWII where around 420,000 Americans died and one country, Japan a brutal horrible prime enemy even bombed us. We went on to do trade with them, doesnt make it better but its just a fact of life.

Of note on Vietnam, probably important to note who really is profiting from a Vietnamese manufacturing plant.

Huge issue in Vietnam over the past ten years, a Chinese male marries a Vietnamese female. The marriage allows the Chinese male to acquire land and the like in Vietnam, which he would not have been able to with Vietnamese land ownership laws. The marriage between the Chinese male and the Vietnamese female is typically to enable a financial transaction- not a love bond.

Reactions: 4WD
Found this article to discuss alleged slowdown in Chinese exports surprising. Something doesn't add up, not sure exactly what. But with Home Depot mixed earnings report earlier today, something seems askew.

I always put a * from anything being reported from or about China. China is a master at misinformation campaigns. None the less, if the information in this article happens to be accurate, could be a canary in the coalmine indicator about near term economic growth.

I never paid more than $1.70/gal for diesel in 2020. Today its $4+/gal.
2020 3.2 million gallons a day
2022 4.02 million gallions a day
Refinery capacity down 1m a day
Here some closings

Ross Perot was right about NAFTA....it sent American jobs south of the border.....which is still better than sending them to our main global adversary.

Without NAFTA, Mexico and maybe even Canada would have free trade deals with China.

When the US pulled out of the TPP, a trade deal which was meant to isolate China, Malaysia signed one with China instead.

If the US doesn't want to be a world leader because it's too expensive, China will take its place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back