Shell Rotella-T 15W40 or Chevron Delo400 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Shell Rotella-T 15W40.How does Delo 400 compare to Rotella-T ? Is it any better?Thanks Joe.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Why not give Delo400 a try and see for yourself, there are many out here in the forum using both Shell as well a Delo so in the end, it is up to your vehicle and driving that would determine which one is best for your application.

quote:

Originally posted by Dually:
I'm using Shell Rotella-T 15W40.How does Delo 400 compare to Rotella-T ? Is it any better?Thanks Joe.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

It is of my opinion that Delo400 is better than Shell Rotella-T.

Hammer

Actually of all the oils I have used barring Delvac-I, Delo 400 is the most stable oil, performs truly well in super hot conditions and is extremely good with sooty engines like the OM 616/617.

Where I live Delo 400 15w-40 is for sale at Costco for $37/case, that's 6 one gallon containers, makes a good buy. Pep Boys and other are $44/case.

From what I see Rotella has started to use primarly groupe 3 and a bit of 2 in the 15w-40 ,look for $ to go up,,,,not a bad oil at all ,their adds are good,and improved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

[/QUOTE]It is of my opinion that Delo400 is better than Shell Rotella-T.

Hammer [/QB][/QUOTE]

Agreed. I have used Rotella and liked it, but I consider the newer CI4+ Delo 400 with (healthy doses of moly and boron) to be superior.
Check-out the VOA

the delo bottle looks cooler.

the delvac 1300 bottle has an awsom spout.

the rotella bottle needs work before i'll consider it

just jokin. i have no opinion on this matter as i just recently started using diesel oils.

mdocod - read on another thread that you were attempting Delo 400 in your 3.2L - have you tried that yet?

How's the engine running/sounding?

I really like the add pac on the Delo better, but I use Rotella because I have a gearbox and wet clutch attached to my sump (motorcycle GL 1530. My primary interest is that the Rotella has no moly and yes most of the Rotella I have bought in the last 10 years was $.99 or less! My first post. I've learned most of what I know about oil right here. Thanx tou

quote:

Originally posted by brian fix:
From what I see Rotella has started to use primarly groupe 3 and a bit of 2 in the 15w-40 ,look for $ to go up,,,,not a bad oil at all ,their adds are good,and improved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

What is your source of this info?

Hammer

I have used Rotella in two diesels, both idi, with 225,000 miles on one and 165,000 on the other. Some friends have used Delo in theirs for 200,000 miles too. Unfortunately we do not have analysis just anecdotal evidence that both oils can go a long distance without causing any oil related problems. My change interval was 4,000 to 5,000 miles (about every 6-8 weeks or so)

What about using Delo in a gasoline engine? Seems the extra cleaning properties might be good now and then, especially for an old Volvo engine like mine.

There is an Orbahn (sp?) shear test chart on the CastrolUSA website comparing their Tection Extra with "Competitor S" in yellow, "Competitor M" in purple(?), and "Competitor C" in blue. Now, "S" could be Schaeffer, but somehow I think it's Shell. In any case, "Competitor S" performed much better than either "C" or "M," and the same as Tection Extra. Now maybe it's just me, but I think that's a comparison with Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, and Shell Rotella.

The Orbahn test result there for Delo 15W40 was nearly identical to what Salesrep has posted here recently for Delo from their testing. That result alone does not make Rotella better than Delo, of course, but it seems that if you have an engine which shears your oil hard/fast, you'd want Rotella over Delo.

I like to use Delo 400 CI+ in my 7.3L PSD. I like it because of the large dose of moly compared to rotella conventional.

I've tried 5w40 Rotella synthetic, but I wasn't please with the amount of consumption that was taking place. I may use this oil in the winter, but I'm not sure.

Allen820, I used Delo 400 and Rotella 15W40 in my 78 Dodge Little Red's 360 up till 208K miles with no sludge inside. My son raced a Vtec Honda and kept the RPM over 6500 for over 1.5 miles and spun a rod bearing. This was a stock long stroke 5500 RPM engine so I would say not an oil falure. DaveJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back