Share Your Thoughts On Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
Thanks for all the comments - unfortunately, you are not making this any easier. I will have to mull this over a bit longer.

I do know I want a 10 inch since my vision is not what it used to be.

Here is a poor photo. (My ASUS has a matte screen protector on it and it catched the over head lights)

dsc0353y.jpg

On the left is the iPad 2 16gig 3g, right ASUS Transformer Pad 32gig TF300T and bottom Nexus 7 32gig 3g.

If you'd like I'll take better photos of the same thing this weekend in better conditions.

But with the tablets you can zoom on whatever text you want to read. Of these 3 the Nexus has the best screen (there is a screen protector on it) then the Asus with the iPad VERY close behind. Apple bumps up their back lighting over the other 2 but if you bump theirs to the same they all look good.

I'm in the over 50 crowd and I've got to wear reading glasses with whatever I use unless I zoom to a point where its then a scroll session.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Forgot to mention, after owning both types of 10tablets, iPad & Android, I cannot recommend a 10" Anddroid tablet no matter how nice they are. The apps always leave me wanting to go back to the iPad's apps, they're much much better.

In the 7" space, that's different as the screen size is vastly smaller. For 10", there really is no reason to buy an Android one if you're considering purchasing a 10" iPad.

What apps are you talking about?

I've got both a 10 and 7 inch and every app I've tried /used work great.

Just wondering.

Take care, bill

Android apps are built for the OS. They have to work with 1000's of different devices. Different sizes, shapes, power, ect. . .

So a lot of the Android apps are generic.

Apple apps are built for a MUCH smaller ecosystem. You have the iphone and the ipad.

So app developers can REALLY invest time and energy into optimizing and perfecting each app they put out. It turns out better because they are building the app to work with an actual device.

Where as Android developers are building apps to work for an operating system that is run on countless different devices.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/23/phil-schiller-trash-talks-android-tablets-at-ipad-mini-event/

And there are plenty of apps on the Android that work PERFECTLY on the 4 inch phones, 7 inch and 10 inch tablets. (same app BTW)

The display is formatted correctly and looks just as good as a iPad "designed" apps.

I've got both platforms so I'm familiar with both systems.

I know what I use more and don't make blanket statements like all brand x stinks like others here.

Bill

Thanks Bill, the pics you already posted are fine. Count me in the 50+ reading glasses crown too. I am going to play around with a friend's iPad and a colleague's XYboard just to try and get a feel.

Work provides me with a MacBook, so I would be in the same ecosystem (new word for me, thanks for pulling me into 2012) and that might be a plus. But I'm not so much interested in it for work. What minimal Cloud work I do is on Google.

I am wondering if I can get content from Amazon Unbox on the iPad? After browsing movie titles for a bit today (almost streamed Expendables II) it appears as though Amazon is cheaper than iTunes. So where I can get content might also be an issue for me.

Why must decisions be so darn complicated?

Thanks again.

Agree on why must things be complicated...

Saw a Nexus 10 today at Walmart and its VERY impressive. There was a guy buying it and before he did he wanted to play with it so the sales rep was trying to get it on Walmarts wi-fi and we ended up using my phone for a hotspot so he could demo.

3 minutes with him surfing a few sites and it was sold. They had 2 others and I'll tell you I almost got one. But I'd have to sell the Asus 300 you see in the photo above before the other half would allow me to live to see another day...
grin2.gif

Let us know what you end up with and a review after the purchase!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
And there are plenty of apps on the Android that work PERFECTLY on the 4 inch phones, 7 inch and 10 inch tablets. (same app BTW)

The display is formatted correctly and looks just as good as a iPad "designed" apps.

I've got both platforms so I'm familiar with both systems.

I know what I use more and don't make blanket statements like all brand x stinks like others here.

Bill

I have had and used both platforms extensively as well.

And there are plenty of apps that work great for most android devices.

I know what I use more and I too do not make blanket statements like all brand x stinks like others here.

I DO however point out what I like better and the reason(s) why.

You state there are apps that work perfectly on the phones, 7inch and 10 inch tablets.

Im not disagreeing with that. What I stated was app developers cannot "optimize" an app for a device.

Out of the countless apps made for apple, lets just look at Ebay for one example. Ebay has an app for the iphone it is optimized to work GREAT for the iPhone and Ipod touch. It is simple and clear and to the point. Exactly what you want giving the screen size.

And a separate app for the iPad. The ipad has a big screen. Odds are, your not going to be as "on the move" on the iPad as you could be on the iPhone. So, with that nice extra space, they optimized a new app to utilize the actual device. You get more content in a very enjoyable to interact with interface.

Here is my ebay "home" screen in both apps.
SyM07.jpg

Here is a search for "apple posters".
04Bt0.jpg

Both apps work great. And you can use either app on either device. But ebay, like many apps, decided to optimize their app for each device.

On Android, you get one app. Most of the time it works perfect. But it is not tailored for your device. That's the difference.

The majority of android tablet apps are just android phone apps that are stretched to fit the screen.

Here is Yelp app. One for all android devices on the top.
And the ipad Yelp app on the bottom. Yelp optimized the app to make full use of the ipad.

IHTpq.png

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

On Android, you get one app. Most of the time it works perfect. But it is not tailored for your device. That's the difference.

48.gif

Okay. So they work perfect but are not "tailored" for my device?

If it works then it works. And most of the time it is perfect. I've had apps on both platforms not work.

Interesting thought process though....

Take care, Bill

PS: I do like your white units!
20.gif

This whole apps discussion raises another question I have for those of you who use tables. At work, I use Word, Excel, SPSS, and browse the web. At home it is about the same. I am not a gamer, but I do like some YouTube content.

My preference for movies is to rent the DVD (yes, DVD as we do not own a Blu-ray player). The reason I am looking at tablets is to break free from my desk a bit. Check my email or FB from wherever I am in the house, and to watch movies or read and not be tied to the TV.

How many of you went to tables for this same reason and now that you own them, do you use a lot of the available apps? What apps do you use the most? I just don't see myself becoming a tablet only guy, but I have made similar statements in the past about other technologies and was quickly proven wrong.

We have both the iPad and Android. I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and love it. Similar usage patterns. I read books using the Nook app. I also do email and even some work as there is a Cisco VPN app. What I like is you just turn on the tablet, no waiting to boot. If I am driving and get paged I can pull over, pull out my mifi card and deal with the newly assigned task.

It doesn't do everything but it is a fine tool that often replaces the bulk of a laptop for many everyday tasks. I don't need a full blown computer for every task and the tablet provides the additional screen real estate that my phone cannot offer.

This whole apps discussion raises another question I have for those of you who use tables. At work, I use Word, Excel, SPSS, and browse the web. At home it is about the same. I am not a gamer, but I do like some YouTube content.

My preference for movies is to rent the DVD (yes, DVD as we do not own a Blu-ray player). The reason I am looking at tablets is to break free from my desk a bit. Check my email or FB from wherever I am in the house, and to watch movies or read and not be tied to the TV.

How many of you went to tables for this same reason and now that you own them, do you use a lot of the available apps? What apps do you use the most? I just don't see myself becoming a tablet only guy, but I have made similar statements in the past about other technologies and was quickly proven wrong.

Tablets are very good for a lot of things.

It's a tool. Not needed, but if you can afford it, it's nice to have.

I mean, the easiest way I can explain my reason is to just layout what I do with my stuff.

I have a 27inch iMac desktop that I use for power hungry applications that I use to edit photos and video.

I have a 17 inch laptop (soon to be replaced with a 15inch Retina MacBook Pro) that I use for school work.

The iPad is what I use for EVERYTHING else.

The 27 inch iMac with 1440res screen is a great machine. The 17inch laptop works like a champ.

But The user experience on the tablet for doing everyday stuff like web surfing, online shopping, email, facebook, ect. . . is second to non.

Im sitting next to my iMac with my iPad RIGHT NOW. That's how much I prefer useing the iPad for this stuff.

SO, it comes down to picking a device that works best for the job your going to do with it.

It's not the best experience doing extensive work like editing on a budget laptop or ipad.

Just like it's not the best experience having to hammer rail road spikes with a drywall hammer.

At the same time however:

It may not be the greatest experience hammering in thumb tacks with a sledge hammer. . . . .

Ipad/tablets are fantastic devices for doing everyday stupid stuff IMHO.

I travel a LOT. I have a work computer that is limited in what I can run and do on it. I have my own laptop(s) as a result to take with me as well (mac).

Ive tried a few things in the interest of convenience, capabilityand mobility... I had originally a 15" laptop. Way too big for use on the road if trying to travel light, though the screen is great and the capabilty is awesome... Im tyiping from it right now.

I got a macbook air for the ultimate in portability. It is a 13" model and is great. In other threads, others have discussed the virtues of having a REAL computer with file system and ability to truly run real programs... I heavily use excel and word, but run a bunch of other specialty software for doing technical and mathematics-based stuff that a tablet couldnt touch.

I was toying with the thought of a tablet for an even thinner/smaller device, and something really purely for web browsing and email. Tablets are purely a luxury... If you dont have $3-500 to waste, then you should just go buy a loss leader laptop and have something that is truly functional. A tablet isnt. Sure, there are "lite" versions of a lot of software, but that to me is not a viable replacement in any meaningful way. I thought I wanted a tablet, toyed around with the idea last Christmas, and almost bought a Samsung galaxy tab 10". However it was within $100 of an ipad and just wasnt as polished, nor was the screen as good. The OS just didnt look all that great to me. I decided against it, and was happy with what I had.

My wife bought me an ipad 3 for my birthday this year. I have used it a lot, but again, it has neither the speed or the capability of my laptops, so I maybe split duties 50/50. Tablets really are a toy, IMO, though some of us road warriors can make do with limited email and other capability for a time, in the interest of lightness.

My biggest use is as you define - ease of carry of it through the house and before bed to read something or do some limited stuff. For that it's great. But for that duty, think long and hard about the size. Im a big guy, the 10" ipad idnt heavy, but the 7" just has a better form factor. Using the two-finger zoom, text can always be big. 7" tablets just feel more right to me... The exception being when you want to use it with a wireless keyboard to act like a macbook air or similar ultrathin/small laptops... But again, it doesnt have the full capability that a real computer does...

I understand that there will be a Windows 8 Pro line of tablets out soon with Intel processors where you can install any Windows software on the tablet. Office, GIS, Solitaire, etc. The line between "computer" and "tablet" is certainly getting fuzzier as time goes on.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I understand that there will be a Windows 8 Pro line of tablets out soon with Intel processors where you can install any Windows software on the tablet. Office, GIS, Solitaire, etc. The line between "computer" and "tablet" is certainly getting fuzzier as time goes on.

Yes, convergence is well under way.

Samsung has/will-have an Intel-powered model for about $100 more than it's WinRT model, opening up the desktop apps to this market space for around $599 or so. Not sure of the spec's, but why buy a WinRT version when the Intel version, that runs all the metro apps AND desktop apps on the same device, is within reach?

Thats excellent stuff. Kind of like the tablet PC laptops of a few years back... just more practical!

It is very helpful when i am not able to use a real computer (like baby sitting and sleeping on bed, sitting on a couch) for quick task like email, craigslist, shopping list, etc.

I still keep my PC up to date and use it daily. There are enough stuff I don't want to do on a tablet like typing or browse web extensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back