Share Your Thoughts On Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
specifically I am looking at Google Nexus 10 (32 GB) and the iPad3 (32 GB). Is the iPad worth the extra $100? I only need WiFi and plan to use it for browsing, email, the occasional movie /video, and editing docs while on the go.

It seems like all of the other tablets have some major fault (charging issues, freezing screens, lack of apps...) that I do not want to deal with.

TIA for your opinions and comments.

I love my iPad. I got a 64GB 3rd gen. I use mine for reading books, documents (via Pages), spreadsheets (via Numbers), Penultimate (for note taking), AVPlayerHD (plays all kinds of video formats and looks amazing!), iPhoto (load my pics right from my camera and do editing), Garageband (hooked up to my keyboard and record my songs), Etude and Forscore (for all my Sheet Music needs), and Sketchbook Express for doodling and drawing.
Basically I use my iPad a lot. I absolutely love it. I was looking into a Nexus tablet when I was looking, but I also own a Macbook Pro and an iPhone, and it was a no brainer for the awesome apps and syncing ability.
I played around with both before hand and the iPad just feels so much better quality and much smoother. Plus the screen on the iPad is just plain amazing!

I love my iPad, 2nd generation. It's easier to use than laptop and extremely portable around the house. I even cancelled my daily paper, now carry iPad to breakfast table. iPads are AMAZING !

Last edited:
I have a kindle Fire.

Just know right off that It isn't a Ipad where you can run a business off of it. I have several friends who do exactly that. Between their Iphone and Ipad they don't have another computer that they work off of. They own laptops, but they don't get the used as much as the Ipad.

However, my Kindle Fire is still pretty cool. I watch movies and TV shows (in HD quality) via my Amazon Prime account and I've read more in the past couple of years with my Kindles than I have since college. It makes carrying around a library easy.

It all depends on what you want, and how much you are willing to spend. Do you want a tablet that has the processing power of a laptop? Or is this for streaming movies and reading books?

Also, just playing with it the Ipad is faster for cruising the web. My Fire is kind of slow. However, I got one right when they first came out. The new ones probably have faster processors.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
I love my iPad. I got a 64GB 3rd gen. I use mine for reading books, documents (via Pages), spreadsheets (via Numbers), Penultimate (for note taking), AVPlayerHD (plays all kinds of video formats and looks amazing!), iPhoto (load my pics right from my camera and do editing), Garageband (hooked up to my keyboard and record my songs), Etude and Forscore (for all my Sheet Music needs), and Sketchbook Express for doodling and drawing.
Basically I use my iPad a lot. I absolutely love it. I was looking into a Nexus tablet when I was looking, but I also own a Macbook Pro and an iPhone, and it was a no brainer for the awesome apps and syncing ability.
I played around with both before hand and the iPad just feels so much better quality and much smoother. Plus the screen on the iPad is just plain amazing!

I have a 3rd gen with retina and would agree 100%. My only comment is that I actually like the form factor of the ipad mini much better, too bad it doesnt have a retina display and the A5x or A6 chip.

Go With the google. Apple can be limiting if a technology comes out they don't like. Take the Iphone and flash Steve Jobs hated it so iphone users weren't either. If you go with the Ipad be prepared for Apples way or no way.

You won't go wrong with the apple, but unless u already have other apple devices the nexus will serve u well. I have both and am on my nexus right now. Apple currently has over 80% of the market. They will lose some ground but still remain on top.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
You won't go wrong with the apple, but unless u already have other apple devices the nexus will serve u well. I have both and am on my nexus right now. Apple currently has over 80% of the market. They will lose some ground but still remain on top.

Could you expand on that? I doubt they have 80% of anything in the tablet market.

Their worldwide share of last quarter was 55%. Analysts state that in 2013 android tablets will take over the majority.

As someone who has both and uses both daily the user needs to decide what THEY want in a tablet instead of sheeple who push their bias.

Each platform and operating system works quite well. For the most part doing normal browsing and viewing of Internet content either works quite well.

Just my five cents.

bill

PS: The Nexus 10 does have the BEST display as of now.

Last edited:
its another reason to waste money

good for children to play games with and watch stuff instead of labtop

i can never see it replace labtop tho , its another catagorie for people spend moeny on

Apple sold 14 million tablets in one quarter. 3 million in 3 days at launch. Nexus has been selling a million a month although I expect that will be up sharply Nov and Dec. This info is from zd and wsj. Certainly there is suddenly a lot of competition but in corporate circles (sales, medical) I see only apple devices. Other consumer level is slightly different, but I almost never see anyone carrying non-apple.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Apple sold 14 million tablets in one quarter. 3 million in 3 days at launch. Nexus has been selling a million a month although I expect that will be up sharply Nov and Dec. This info is from zd and wsj. Certainly there is suddenly a lot of competition but in corporate circles (sales, medical) I see only apple devices. Other consumer level is slightly different, but I almost never see anyone carrying non-apple.

Android to take market share in 2013. Apple sold 55% of q3 2012 link.

Here is Apple with 50% of market.

Hardly 80%+ of the market.

See all sorts of tablets out there. Both Apple and Android.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Go With the google. Apple can be limiting if a technology comes out they don't like. Take the Iphone and flash Steve Jobs hated it so iphone users weren't either. If you go with the Ipad be prepared for Apples way or no way.

+1. iOS is closed source and once you get involved with some element of it that cannot operate elsewhere, you're stuck for good.

Don't buy the 3rd gen ipad, get the 4th. The speed difference is quite noticeable.

The Nexus is very nice! Problem is, tablet apps are nearly nonexistent for Android products. Without robust tablet apps, the experience is lacking. Apps are the important consideration when purchasing a full size tablet.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Google is no different than Apple in this respect, at least in my experience. We had Android phones before, and everything works great as long as you stay in the Google "ecosystem" (a word often applied to Apple). If you use Google mail, Google calendar, Google contacts, Google Drive, Picasa, you're fine. But if you want to mix-and-match providers for these types of services, it's not always very easy.

Google now is offering a Fiber service. They advertise it as the "Full Google Experience".

I'm not saying Google doesn't offer great products. Most every major company out there providing these types of products is making great products. But every one of them is vying for as much of the pie as they can get, and they're all becoming more proprietary in nature as time goes on.

Interesting article suggesting that Android really isn't "open" either:

http://www.wired.com/business/2010/10/is-android-open/

Both my wife and I have a new retina display iPad and we love them. They have been perfect.

I'm not so certain that "open" is a great thing... Open means that all kinds of junk can eventually worm their way into your system. I'm not saying that it's happening now, but if something is really "open", it's going to happen.

Apple didn't like Flash/Shockwave because it was slow and buggy on their systems. I can certainly see their reasoning in preventing it's use on the devices.

I guess, if you believe that Apple is just a bunch of greedy corporates who want to bleed you dry, go with something else. There are a lot of people who feel that way. On the other hand, if you want someone who will stand by and protect the user experience and the devices you bought, go with Apple.

I bought an iPod Touch five years ago. It is still used every day, works just like it did when it was new, battery is still original... it works.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, after owning both types of 10tablets, iPad & Android, I cannot recommend a 10" Anddroid tablet no matter how nice they are. The apps always leave me wanting to go back to the iPad's apps, they're much much better.

In the 7" space, that's different as the screen size is vastly smaller. For 10", there really is no reason to buy an Android one if you're considering purchasing a 10" iPad.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Forgot to mention, after owning both types of 10tablets, iPad & Android, I cannot recommend a 10" Anddroid tablet no matter how nice they are. The apps always leave me wanting to go back to the iPad's apps, they're much much better.

In the 7" space, that's different as the screen size is vastly smaller. For 10", there really is no reason to buy an Android one if you're considering purchasing a 10" iPad.

What apps are you talking about?

I've got both a 10 and 7 inch and every app I've tried /used work great.

Just wondering.

Take care, bill

Bill,
There are apps that work fine on either platform, such as PocketCloud, I use that for remote Windows server administration. Words with Friends works fine on both platforms.

Here's a few, I'm focused only on 10 inches tablets here...

Facebook, the app on Android is pathetic. Stretch-o-vision, clunkly, ugly, notifications rarely work. I settled on Friendcaster. It's decent, but not as quick nor polished as the iOS Facebook app.

Twitter. PHULGLY! Stretch-o-vision again, making swipes a awkward. And ugly. Did I mention ugly?

So I tried Slices instead of Twitter. It's great on iOS, but on a tablet, it's another stretched, awkward to use, program. Neither is enjoyable to use on a 10 inch droid tablet.

Tune-in Radio for droid doesn't offer custom URL's like the iOS version. Sure, there's other programs for this, but why?

The DrudgeReport app refuses to load anymore. It was slow when it did work, but now it won't get past the splash screen. iOS? No problems at all and it's noticeably quicker.

You like Zynga games? We do! The Matching With Friends is an addictingly fun game that takes little brain power and very little time. But if you own a Droid, you must put it down, then pickup your Apple device to play it as Zynga doesn't make a droid version. Gems is another fun Zynga game that's only available on iOS

Another oddity is playing videos. I like to watch WGN news, it's available over the 'net. It doesn't always work on the Droid, but works reliably on iOS.

Thus the reason why I don't suggest a 10 inch Android tablet.

If you can live w/o the games, a 7 inch droid tablet is a different game since the screen size is vastly smaller. But for 10 inch tablets, the king of the hill is the iPad and all the app goodness that goes with it.

Thanks for all the comments - unfortunately, you are not making this any easier. I will have to mull this over a bit longer.

I do know I want a 10 inch since my vision is not what it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back