Selling used equipment and nasty/agressive buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I figure majority of folks who answer ads and place are dredge of earth...

Nice. Glass half-empty type then are ya?
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I think folks set expectations way too high for an absolutely free service that costs them zilch.

"The service" is irrelevant. It's the patrons of said service. Kinda like BITOG - just another web forum. What makes it different? The people.

Vast difference between CL and a forum. CL is interpersonal communication without moderation while BITOG or any forum involves the group and admin moderating the interaction where some users can sometimes take on different personas then real life. Forums are virtual play lands and CL is life.

My experience has been 50/50 positive and negative. I set expectations really low now so I can get pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Normally I would agree it would be a conspiracy nut job who thought of that but not about CL and the crazy things people there do. I think it is completely possible it actually happened.

Maybe if it was for more money, but for $25, it hardly seems worth it. People not showing up is pretty standard CL behavior, that's probably anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 that respond.

Calling people back is typically a waste of time, if they really want it, they will call. The only point to calling someone back is to find out why they didn't like your item.

LOL, at these stories. People haven't changed all that much.

It's why I have a warehouse full of junk I've owned over the years - don't want to send it to the landfill ( yet ), and don't want to hassle with selling it to people. Burglaries are starting to take a toll on the contents, unfortunately.

About once a week, someone will track me down and call about one of the old cars sitting out there. No one ever seems to steal them, darn it. Probably too much work and not easily swapped for meth.

A humorous anecdote totally OT, but thieves probably have a lot in common with CL low ballers: I had about three or four 2 cubic foot boxes of DVD's stored from a business I closed. Last break in, the thieves went through all of the boxes, took the DVD's from the cases, and then put the empty cases back in the boxes. WTH? How much trouble is that - just steal the boxes for crying out loud.

Originally Posted By: Win
A humorous anecdote totally OT, but thieves probably have a lot in common with CL low ballers: I had about three or four 2 cubic foot boxes of DVD's stored from a business I closed. Last break in, the thieves went through all of the boxes, took the DVD's from the cases, and then put the empty cases back in the boxes. WTH? How much trouble is that - just steal the boxes for crying out loud.

That is pretty funny. Sounds like you're complaining about the quality of thieves these days. Back in the old days they would have stolen everything. But it makes sense not to steal the cases, they could probably carry more without the cases. At least they did a little work for their thieving selves.

Put a dress on a pig and in the end it is still just a pig. I would not take your number as I would see through your flattery and recognize it for what it is - an attempt to haggle. Just a waste of my time. At best I would tell you if you ever get the money YOU can call me back. [/quote]

My response to: "take my number" would be: "Keeping checking my ad to see if I lower my "firm price" Bye, Bye!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Normally I would agree it would be a conspiracy nut job who thought of that but not about CL and the crazy things people there do. I think it is completely possible it actually happened.

Maybe if it was for more money, but for $25, it hardly seems worth it. People not showing up is pretty standard CL behavior, that's probably anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 that respond.

Calling people back is typically a waste of time, if they really want it, they will call. The only point to calling someone back is to find out why they didn't like your item.

To you $25 may not seem worth it but who knows about others? Again, I am not saying it did happen just that it is possible and to me is fishy.

I agree it is not uncommon for someone to be a no show. Not common though to have someone else call you while waiting, who is close bye, to buy it out of the blue though.

In the end it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

Put a dress on a pig and in the end it is still just a pig. I would not take your number as I would see through your flattery and recognize it for what it is - an attempt to haggle. Just a waste of my time. At best I would tell you if you ever get the money YOU can call me back.

My response to: "take my number" would be: "Keeping checking my ad to see if I lower my "firm price" Bye, Bye! [/quote]

So...you're the guy that has had the same ad up for the same motorcycle for a year, then? Yeah, figured.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

When I see firm and I am legitimately interested and I'm looking to make a deal, I'll say something like, yeah you know I am interested, and it's in good shape, and it's priced all right, but I just don't have the money in my budget, but if you like, take my number, and if it doesn't sell in a week or whatever, give me a call. Then of course I *have* exact change on me if they want to make a deal right then.

Flatters the seller and lets them think they're in control.

When I sell stuff, I don't put OBO. I don't put Firm. I put a price. The end. Up to them to think if they want to bargain. Then I can size them up in person when they try.

Put a dress on a pig and in the end it is still just a pig. I would not take your number as I would see through your flattery and recognize it for what it is - an attempt to haggle. Just a waste of my time. At best I would tell you if you ever get the money YOU can call me back.

And that's cool! I work my process so I'm denied about half the time. If I bought everything I looked at, I'm doing it wrong. It's the old sucker-in-the-room bit. I've already driven out to look at the [whatever]; I could either leave or lowball at that point. The shots you never take, you never get, and what not. I'm not offended, and hope I'm not offensive-- it's a potential business transaction.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

To you $25 may not seem worth it but who knows about others? Again, I am not saying it did happen just that it is possible and to me is fishy.

I agree it is not uncommon for someone to be a no show. Not common though to have someone else call you while waiting, who is close bye, to buy it out of the blue though.

In the end it is what it is.

I list stuff for rent all the time and I also do the occasional item here and there. The initial response is always going to be when you first post it. It's why people are always trying to top post their listing. So it's really not unusual for someone to be in the area who wants to pick it up. Happens all the time. With rentals, the best ones are when they call and I'm already at the property and they can come right away. Not too uncommon. In a case like that, I don't see how someone could have set me up, make a time to see it and then have a buddy come right away to see it. There's usually multiple calls so it's very hard to pull any kind of scam. You're actually not scammed if you agree to it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: linkbelt

My response to: "take my number" would be: "Keeping checking my ad to see if I lower my "firm price" Bye, Bye!

So...you're the guy that has had the same ad up for the same motorcycle for a year, then? Yeah, figured. [/quote]

Never had an item on CL for more than 3-4 months even when holding out for my firm price. If an item was on CL a year without selling the price is either too high or the item is junk/no one wants it/etc...

Sorry but I am not "that guy". The stuff I sell is priced fairly and is in good shape and/or desirable. I don't try to sell my junk to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back