Selling car privately. required to check buyer DL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it could be legitimate. Case in point, one of my staff members is an intern from the Netherlands and he is going through the process of finding a car now (nothing expensive, just something to get him by for about 6 months). He has an International license (in TX if the person is in the US less than 1 year they do not have to have a US D/L) and is on C/L and Autotrader looking for a car. He has insurance (via Geico), but it would probably seem strange to some for a young guy with no US D/L and a small wad of cash looking for a car to buy in a hurry (Houston has no mass transit to speak of).

So your scenario sounds familiar
cheers3.gif

I have always pull the plates. That tends to force the buyer to go get plates and process the title change. Also print up an "as is" bill of sale - make 2 copies and have buyer and seller sign both copies - give one copy to buyer, and seller keeps the other signed copy. Then after you get paid in full, sign and date the title and make a copy of that also for seller to keep.

Do not accept a personal check. Accept only cash or a certified bank cashiers check but accept the cashiers check for payment ONLY while at that bank that the check is drawn from and only after verifying that it is good with the teller or manager...they can verify in 2 minutes by entering check serial number in the computer. So if buyer wants to pay with a Wells Fargo cashiers check ask them to meet you at the local Wells Fargo to sign the title and accept payment. Now a days anyone with a scanner, photoshop and a decent color inject can create an almost perfect fake cashiers check so don't get suckered.

Last edited:
For Minnesota registered vehicles:
Quote:
When the vehicle is sold, the seller should complete and remove the The Recorded Owner(s) Record of Sale stub from the title. The seller is required to report the sale of the vehicle by mailing the stub to DVS (see address above) or by filing a report of sale online.

From Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services Website. Go here and click on "Policies and Procedures."

The driver's license question is a good one. I have let people drive my for-sale vehicles without checking that they have a valid license. Probably should though.

I don't know about the rest of you but in Florida, there's a portion of the title which both the seller and buyer sign that I (the seller) rip out and send off to the DMV, indicating that I've sold the vehicle.

The buyer, along with the signed title and Bill of Sale then goes to the DMV to register the car under their name and get a new title.

I obviously keep the plates because its worth a good $200 in Florida. I can then reuse the plate on another vehicle I purchase.

The buyer drives off without any plates. If you get pulled over, he shows the bill of sale that he just bought the car and goes on their way. I've sold many cars this way.

I print an official BOS from the DMVs site based on my state. Easy as pie.

No DL no test drive, no cash, no car. I go one step further and make sure the person buying the car from me didn't pass funny money. I go with them to the bank and have the bills checked.

One last thing, make sure you cut the registration sticker off the window. A co-worker was pulled off a construction job we were working on years ago because a PU truck he sold to someone was sold shortly after to Joel Rifkin. The PU was traced to the co-worker via a registration sticker he didn't cut off the window before transferring the truck. IIRC the guy he sold it to never registered the truck. The co-worker was pulled off a job by the FBI and returned a few days later after it was determined he didn't commit the crimes.

I always make a copy of their license if they want to test drive a car of mine. i dont always go with them. i use discretion there. the last car i sold was to a man and his wife in their 60s and it was obvious they weren't there to kick the tires.

there have been some that i refused test drives to also.

i never leave titles open, i make them sign. also i get DMV bill of sales and fill them out. i also make a copy of their license with my printer/copier. and if they leave a vehicle i write down their license plate number down on the paper with their license.

if someone is going to steal your car they will not get far if you have a copy of their license. always always make sure the license is current and that it is actually their license. you can never be too careful dealing with people. especially if you deal on craigslist...ect.

i tend to like to meet at public settings as well. i don't really like people to come to my house. Many people want to start the car on a cold start, im one of those people when i shop for a car. In that case i park it at walmart over night and meet them there the next day. in these cases i cant make a copy of their license, but my iphone can take a great picture of it and be sent in and email as an attachment in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Check with your state DMV, because none of these answers are really true for where I live. I can sell my car to someone who doesn't even have a license, no problem--but no telling if that's the case where you are.

Holy cow, can't believe all the people who want to drag the seller to the DMV, a notary, the bank, etc. I've bought and sold dozens of vehicles and it was always a very simple process.

1) Write up a basic bill of sale with the buyer's signature as proof the car was sold to them. Include date, vin, sale price, printed names of buyer and seller.

2) Keep your plates, and any paperwork (insurance card and registration).

3) Get paid cash.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
In CT, I sign over the title, take the plates off the car and keep the registration. Also make an ad hoc bill of sale (which is legal in CT) saying you are selling the car to so and so, for x dollars, y miles on it, as is, no implied warranty. Do this at the buyers house, no issues.

That's the way to do it.

Then also notify DMV, whoever you pay taxes to on the vehicle, and your insurance company that the vehicle has been sold, and who the buyer was.

Edit: Oh and to answer initial question: wherever I've lived you don't have to have a driver's license to own a vehicle so checking for valid license was not required.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd personally be concerned. Id want I'd and proof of insurance from anyone. Just because someone dumped some cash on you and took your signed title doesn't mean that they won't keep driving it and them have "lost" the title and claim they were borrowing the car or something.

Some states the plates stay with the car, obviously it's easier to avoid this if you pull the plates.

Still. Worrisome.

We don't have "Bill Of Sale" here in NJ to cover transfer of ownership in lieu of or as an indefinite length of time answer to Title transfer, do we? Florida, Ohio do...

Theoretically the signature lines on the title serve as that. It is printed on the title back purposely for that.

I'd be afraid that someone get the car, just drive it, and at the time of accident say they had borrowed it, and the lender must have forgotten to put the docs into it, then it comes back to the PO.

Oh and one last tip I can offer that I received from my LE friend when I was in the process of selling my vehicle. You can't report the vehicle stolen if you gave them the keys for a test drive and they don't return and if you do(report it) it's not a stolen vehicle because you gave them the keys w/ permission so it's best to use your discretion or go with them on the test drive.

I had several parties test drive my vehicle and I allowed all of them their own private test drive. I simply had them meet me at a Staples where I made photo copies of their DL and insurance and asked that they leave me the keys to their car.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No DL no test drive, no cash, no car. I go one step further and make sure the person buying the car from me didn't pass funny money. I go with them to the bank and have the bills checked.

One last thing, make sure you cut the registration sticker off the window. A co-worker was pulled off a construction job we were working on years ago because a PU truck he sold to someone was sold shortly after to Joel Rifkin. The PU was traced to the co-worker via a registration sticker he didn't cut off the window before transferring the truck. IIRC the guy he sold it to never registered the truck. The co-worker was pulled off a job by the FBI and returned a few days later after it was determined he didn't commit the crimes.

I think NY must be the only state in the country that tapes the registration to the window. I never understood this... And it looks dumb!

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
Holy cow, can't believe all the people who want to drag the seller to the DMV, a notary, the bank, etc. I've bought and sold dozens of vehicles and it was always a very simple process.

1) Write up a basic bill of sale with the buyer's signature as proof the car was sold to them. Include date, vin, sale price, printed names of buyer and seller.

2) Keep your plates, and any paperwork (insurance card and registration).

3) Get paid cash.

Yeah this!!!

A private seller has never asked to see my license, nor have I towards a buyer. Comes across as impolite, and when trying to complete a purchase, I try to be easygoing.

I don't
27.gif
and assume the world is out to get me!

My state used to ask for the name and address of the person one sells a car to if the seller applies for excise tax credit, to transfer/ reuse a registration on another car. I use this as an excuse, sometimes, to get that info. Otherwise it looks creepy.

If I sell a car I let the buyer leave it in my driveway until they can register it. About half the time they throw illegal plates from another car on it and take off right away.

A car sale is a property deal. Would you sell your house to someone who looks like they can't afford it or you think they might turn it into an adult bookstore? Heck yeah, if their money's green!!!

I forgot to add, I write a bill of sale stating the car is sold as is, with no guarantee, and make sure the buyer signs it. He gets a copy I get a copy.

i always go to the title agency ,with the buyer, to watch the title transfered. that way i know it is out of my name.

Absolutely cash on the barrel head.

Get one of those cash pens that proves the money is real.

Sign the car over, hand them the title, and what they do with it after that is up to them, legally or otherwise.

Anything else is a scam. And it's probably a scam of some sort.
There can't be more than one "international" fellow calling or it sounds scammy.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Oh and one last tip I can offer that I received from my LE friend when I was in the process of selling my vehicle. You can't report the vehicle stolen if you gave them the keys for a test drive and they don't return and if you do(report it) it's not a stolen vehicle because you gave them the keys w/ permission[/b] so it's best to use your discretion or go with them on the test drive.

I had several parties test drive my vehicle and I allowed all of them their own private test drive. I simply had them meet me at a Staples where I made photo copies of their DL and insurance and asked that they leave me the keys to their car.

This is absolutely incorrect.

LE would not pursue a case where you handed a person your car keys and gave them permission to test drive your vehicle and they never returned it as 'vigorously' as a GTA. You would have to go through civil court system, per my LE friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back