Seen at pharmacy today

gulf.jpg

On back of bottle says "distributed by some company I never heard of" and "approved for all Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles". The pharmacy wanted over $10 for the quart.

It has an API starburst and isn't non-detergent 40 weight. Baby steps!

This is the first time I have seen the Gulf brand on any product in a long time. Did some other company buy or license the brand? I thought it was defunct a long time ago.

Google "Gulf Motor Oil" you will be amazed by the selection.
You will need to scroll down some.

Last edited:
The last time I saw any oil from Gulf it was their Trop/Artic brand of engine oil.Yes it's been that long ago_Oh well I googled Trop/Artic and it showed up as Phillips 66 brand.We only had two gas stations,one was an Exxon and a Gulf.But I do recall the Gulf had the Trop/Artic in their racks.

Last edited:
The last time I saw any oil from Gulf it was their Trop/Artic brand of engine oil.Yes it's been that long ago_Oh well I googled Trop/Artic and it showed up as Phillips 66 brand.We only had two gas stations,one was an Exxon and a Gulf.But I do recall the Gulf had the Trop/Artic in their racks.
Nu-Tier.
Looks like a distribution company HQ'd in NY. Underserved nich market; Low qty /high unit pricing to places like grocery stores and convenience marts.

They just pay GULF for the recognizable tm branding. Their house brand is ECOSE oddly also on the front label!

Likely serviceable oil and miles better than the uncertified line wash usually haunting these stores

Why I have an opened quart bottle in the trunk of my burners for top-off if required when away.

I posted the picture of the "GuLf" oil bottle because I figured it was "less than great" oil available in a pharmacy (CVS).
Back in the day my Dad ran a real Gulf station and he always said that Gulfpride was great oil at the time. I wouldn't put this stuff in my lawn mower. Maybe I'm too picky. :)

I posted the picture of the "GuLf" oil bottle because I figured it was "less than great" oil available in a pharmacy (CVS).
Back in the day my Dad ran a real Gulf station and he always said that Gulfpride was great oil at the time. I wouldn't put this stuff in my lawn mower. Maybe I'm too picky. :)
Could be blended by Omni (Shreveport) or Warren Oil/TCI or ??

It's got an API starbust on the front that ain't nuthin'; Boy gotta respect the badge!

I wouldn't put it in my lawnmower bc it's too many $$$ and its 5W20.

By the way lawnmowers need a quality, tuff oil, they have no oil pump (typically) and run less than a quart in an air-cooled engine.

I think the saying goes, "I wouldn't paint my old fence post with this stuff!"
-Arco

Back