Seeking advice on termite bait stations

I don't have any termite issues, but would like to install some stations around the home as we are in a wooded lot.

I don't know what is good or bad, products to avoid, etc.

Many people praise Sentricon, but I don't think that is DIY.

What is the average cost to have a company lay down stations? We have approx 250 linear feet around the home.

We pay about $200 (give or take) a year and a company comes by every year and looks at my house, crawl space and garage for any signs of termite activity. If they find any they treat everything at no additional.

One piece of advice....NEVER put mulch up against the house. Did that and it drew intermites that got into my house and did damage. Now I only (at the advice of a termite treatment professional) use gravel as mulch up against the house. Result: No more nasty termite issues!

One piece of advice....NEVER put mulch up against the house. Did that and it drew intermites that got into my house and did damage. Now I only (at the advice of a termite treatment professional) use gravel as mulch up against the house. Result: No more nasty termite issues!
Putting mulch up against a concrete or block foundation as long as there are several inches of concrete or block showing is not a problem.

Having mulch touch siding or framing would be bad.

Termites don't crawl up the foundation and start eating the wood. They need to build a tube and crawl inside a tube. Termite techs look for the mud tubes.

You are right if there are no entrances in the concrete. BUT....cracks in the mortar or block are enough to let termites enter and go up through the inside of the blocks and get into wood. Then you won't see the mud tunnels. And you would be surprised how common this is in foundation walls, particularly after a new house settles a bit.

There are quite a few products for someone to do it themself on the market.
Its an easy internet search - do it yourself termite control
Most all are from respected companies, BASF Advance Bait systems is well known
I never used them but here is a good site of professional grade products = https://www.domyown.com/termite-bait-systems-c-3_75.html
There is also the common department store item from Spectracide Termite Detection and Killing Stakes sold in all the major homes improvement stores as well as Walmart.
Amazon carries all brands I think.

Last edited:
Taurus SC is what the pest control companies use. Since termites are subterranean, they drill holes and dig a trench around the house, then inject the chemical under the ground.
you can do this your self, but need to make sure you have a continuous barrier around the house including anywhere with concrete asphalt, or other Hard surfaces, hence the drilling.
taurus sc is potent stuff, can’t get on flowers, as it will kill bee hives. Supposed to last up to 10 years with underground applications.
I used on the surface for carpenter ants and controlled them for 3 seasons so far with one application.

Back