Sedan or SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few people, (with the exception of us highly intelligent BITOG members), buy only the vehicle they need. Most buy the vehicle they want. This for/against argument can extend to luxury class vehicles, performance vehicles, 2nd/3rd/4th vehicles, etc. The point of the article that people buy SUVs to impress others is a little far fetched, sure some probably do but not many.

Most CUV's are based on car platforms. My Wifes Santa Fe is based on the Sonata. Exterior measurements almost the same. Has a lot more cargo room than it's car based sibling. Where we live a winter storm might mean you are stuck at home without atleast AWD.

My job dictates that it is mandatory to get to work as a matter of public safety. That is why I got a 4x4. One snow storm last year was to much for even the Santa Fe, it didn't have the ground clearance. My truck didn't have a problem running along in 4 hi just to work an 18 hour shift!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wagons FTW

I agree. I wish there were more wagon options in the US, alas, I know I'm in the minority here. Most people would rather sit higher up instead, despite the fact that it negatively impacts handling as well as aerodynamics and fuel economy.

It would be nice if you could get a 3-series wagon with a 6-cyl engine and not be forced into AWD and auto trans. Actually, I'd be willing to accept auto trans if I could get the other two.
smile.gif

The primary reason we own taller vehicles, and don't own sedans, is due to the seating position. The roofs of "cars" are typically raked pretty steeply at the A-piller, which reduces headroom. As a result, the seats are often mounted lower to the floor, which reduces legroom and makes the knee angle uncomfortable. As they try to keep the steering wheel further from the occupant for airbag space, you have the desire to move the seat forward or angle it forward, further exacerbating the legroom/headroom issue. In cars, I feel like I'm laid back and not really in control of the vehicle...like the vehicle is driving me instead of the other way around.

All of this is avoided with a taller vehicle. I like vans/SUVs/trucks for that reason. I don't care what it's called, or what the acronym-du-jour is. We cheerfully accept the handling and economy penalty for greater comfort.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
In cars, I feel like I'm laid back and not really in control of the vehicle...like the vehicle is driving me instead of the other way around.

Sitting 'in' the vehicle as opposed to 'on' the vehicle kind of a thing?

Personally, I'm comfortable in either, but I can see how this could easily be personal preference.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
In cars, I feel like I'm laid back and not really in control of the vehicle...like the vehicle is driving me instead of the other way around.

Personally, I'm comfortable in either, but I can see how this could easily be personal preference.

Pretty hard to find fault with a Q5 Pete, a guy at work has a diesel and it's sweet.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Pretty hard to find fault with a Q5 Pete, a guy at work has a diesel and it's sweet.

Yeah, this is wife's vehicle and she likes it. I tried to steer her toward a wagon, but it wasn't 'cool' enough for her.
smile.gif

It handles decently for an SUV, but you can certainly notice the high center of gravity if you try to push it in corners.

Fuel economy is horrid. I know the TDI gets much better MPG, but given her very short commute, I didn't think diesel was a good fit.

Precisely. I didn't want to use that terminology for fear of it being misunderstood, but that's it exactly. Lower seating positions, both in relation to the floor and to the door sills, are not as comfortable to me. My personal gauge is this: the door sill shouldn't be any higher than the top of the airbag crown on the steering wheel, and preferably no higher than the steering wheel's center axis.

Our MDX, for example...not my pic, but you can see how relatively low the door sill is against the steering wheel. Excellent.

3877d1034362130-yahoo-auto-webpage-showcasing-2003-mdx-includes-sage-brush-pearl-color-2002mdxinterior2.jpg

And here's a 2011 Camry interior for comparison. The door sill is higher relative to the steering wheel (almost 2/3rds of the way up the steering wheel), and also MUCH higher relative to the seat cushion. I use this as an example, having owned a 2011 Camry before (and this type of comfort becoming an issue over time).

2011-Toyota-Camry-SE-Interior.jpg

In human ergonomics, even fractions of an inch are a big deal. We're talking multiple inches in cases like this. The recent trend of ever-higher door sills, especially on "cars", is discouraging to me and it keeps our vehicle list focused on vans and SUVs and trucks.

Very true Hokiefyd. I have that 2011 Camry, and I've always disliked how how the door sill is. Cannot rest the elbow on it. My truck is more comfortable to drive as a result (ride quality aside).

Being higher up helps too--when I had my Jetta there many times I was simply overshadowed by, well it seemed every other vehicle on the road. Usually I didn't care, unless stopped at an intersection where I wanted to go right, and the SUV to my left pulls all the way forward. And stops. Blocking my view for my right hand turn.

I used to have a wagon, wouldn't mind another; but as long as I have the truck around I don't plan to spend extra for one. I ran into a couple of problems with my wagon: it was louder, as the rear axle is more exposed to the interior. It was also slower to cool down in hot weather, more interior space. The rear of the car was always dirty too, it just kicked up all sorts of dirt. And as time went on the rear window slowly got scratched from it.

Very utilitarian, and I loved having it. If I had to downsize and only have one vehicle, a FWD wagon it would likely be. Although the CUV's might come close enough (add a small trailer & AWD and I'd be ok with it, although I know there would be an mpg penalty).

I have never bought a vehicle to impress others. My Jetta came close, as I was very proud of its balance of features and abilities; but in the end, I bought it to please myself.

To me, I think the leading determinant is where you drive and how often vs. the particular ergonomics of the vehicles. Weather, population density, roads ( both size and quality ) will determine it more than esthetics. If I drive in a inner city environment 51% or greater of the time, the SUV and lift-kit pickup is gonna be left at home or sold. For all the "elevated driving position" and sense of controlling versus being a passenger with the SUV, you're gonna find a parking space and typically get around A LOT easier than fighting the daily battle of dealing with a vehicle that's 200" or longer and not fitting in a majority of street parking spaces. That example, like weather-related ones, will likely become a quality of life issue that trumps any preferences concerning perceived swagger or if your torso comes to where in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: sciphi
For #3, snow tires do wonders for sedans. They do wonders for AWD SUV's/CUV's too. For somebody in a suburb or urban environment with decent snow removal, snow tires make the sedan get by just fine.

For #2, not everybody needs a ton of space to haul stuff. Most SUV's are hauling air most days, including ours. For a weekend trip for two, a sedan has more than enough space.

For #1, SUV's/CUV's are everywhere around me. There's precisely zero swagger left since they're so ubiquitous.

We have one of each for different reasons.

This is true. The "wow that guy is super cool for driving a full size SUV" thing was never REALLY real, but even less so now that you can't go a block without seeing a tahoe or yukon or whatever.

When I see an SUV I'm always expecting to see a woman driving around a load of rugrats. SUV's are soccermom mobiles.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
"1* Sedans, with the exception of a few high end makes, lack the swagger of an SUV, for those of us who wish our vehicles to make a statement about ourselves – and doesn’t that include everyone who buys a new car?"

Not Everyone.....Just the D-Bags!

I never did get the whole "SUVs are cool" thing...to me they're nothing more than a minivan with less room and worse fuel economy...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wagons FTW

I agree. I wish there were more wagon options in the US, alas, I know I'm in the minority here. Most people would rather sit higher up instead, despite the fact that it negatively impacts handling as well as aerodynamics and fuel economy.

It would be nice if you could get a 3-series wagon with a 6-cyl engine and not be forced into AWD and auto trans. Actually, I'd be willing to accept auto trans if I could get the other two.
smile.gif

A rwd wagon is the ultimate SUV IMO. I think the SUV term should be reserved for any vehicle than can carry its own set of race tires in the cargo space, to the track.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
"1* Sedans, with the exception of a few high end makes, lack the swagger of an SUV, for those of us who wish our vehicles to make a statement about ourselves – and doesn’t that include everyone who buys a new car?"

Not Everyone.....Just the D-Bags!

I never did get the whole "SUVs are cool" thing...to me they're nothing more than a minivan with less room and worse fuel economy...

I think CUV bridges the gap between econobox/small sedan and minivan while gaining snow traction. That would be my attraction to them, along with sitting up higher. A compromise on all fronts, but most vehicles are compromises in the end.

Have to say, I'm driving my Camry this week, and I forgot how nice it is to drive a car instead of a truck. It's so bad that I'm actually feeling as if this car was sporty!

I would by an RX in a heartbeat vs a ES.
Once you drive an SUV there is no going back to sedans, I prefer to drive my Highlander compared to Lexus (the $3K extra cost and 3MPG less is well worth an RX compared to an ES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back