Seat of the pants tire testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you ever do back to back tire testing? This means testing brand new tires for 100 miles and then putting different new tires for another 100 miles on the same car. This would at least get you in the ballpark of at least meager objectivity.

Otherwise, every time you put new tires, they are always going to be "great" as compared to your older worn out tires.

But that does not stop anybody from giving their expert opinion! And it shouldn't :)

You don't say...
smile.gif

For the record, I don't always say the new tires are "great" compared to the old ones.

New tires certainly are different than old ones, I don't have the time or energy to swap out tires to do an objective test. Honestly that's why figuring it out differentially via webforums is good, and also why I feel it's important to buy tires from tire rack, at least sometimes, to find their testing, which even if you don't like it, is better than anything else I've seen.

I'm not sure of the logistics of the seat of the pants test of which you speak but I can tell you at least once your conclusion about new always feeling great hasn't held for me. New Conti DWS on an Accord worst vibration after sitting over night I've ever experienced, more so the colder the ambient temp.

When I've offered an opinion on a tire, it's generally been after some substantial miles or the tires life. Or in comparison to another tire at the same point, ie., DWS vs Primacy MXV4.

My point was that we as consumers rarely get to do a true A/B test on tires. Our impression of the old tire when it was new has been already forgotten when it is time to put on the new tires.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
My point was that we as consumers rarely get to do a true A/B test on tires. Our impression of the old tire when it was new has been already forgotten when it is time to put on the new tires.

And tires get BETTER well after the 1st 100 miles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back