seat belt retractor locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I failed inspection last week due to a frayed seat belt. Found one in a salvage yard in CA... just arrived by post today. I proceeded to take out the old belt, and started to install the replacement. The lock on the retractor of the replacement wont release, and as a result, I can't even get the belt far enough out of the retractor to bolt the top connector to the side of the truck. Is there a trick to get it to release? I've already tried retracting even more belt to see if it would let go... no dice. In fact, there is so much belt retracted now that no more can be accomodated in the retractor (the roll of belt is as big as the retractor can hold).

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extra Cab V6
Driver side belt
part number 73220-04090

PS - the old belt that I took out is showing the same behavior now that its out. It worked fine before. There must be a trick to get them to release?! Help me, I'm bleedin'!

Last edited:
Try holding the retractor in the same orientation as it would be mounted in the truck. The seatbelt isn't supposed to loosen up when you roll over upside down and bounce across an intersection...not that you would do that sort of thing but some people might.

Thanks for the suggestion. The new belt is currently mounted up in the truck in the correct orientation, and I can't get it to release. Odd that both new and old show the same behavior, where the old was working fine 20 minutes before dismantling. Its as if the retractor locks the belt when it gets retracted to a certain (far) that's only possible when dismounted. Not sure what to do...

Originally Posted By: KurtJ
Thanks for the suggestion. The new belt is currently mounted up in the truck in the correct orientation, and I can't get it to release. Odd that both new and old show the same behavior, where the old was working fine 20 minutes before dismantling. Its as if the retractor locks the belt when it gets retracted to a certain (far) that's only possible when dismounted. Not sure what to do...

When you fool with the belt that won't let-out are you sitting in the vehicle in the same position you would to put belt on and pulling in the same manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back