Seasoning for oil and vinegar salad dressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Table salt is processed bad to make it appealing and prevent from clumping. In simple terms it is 1/3 sodium,1/3 glass,and 1/3 sand. Not good for our health. Sea salt is preferred but Himalayan salt and Celtic is best due to the minerals that are with it. Hawaiin red or black is good too. Braggs apple cider is very beneficial alone or with extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy:)

ok so was that on DR OZ or something hahaha.

Not even going to point out how obviously wrong that is.

I know people who drank that bragg's apple cidar for various ailments.. It rots your teeth extremely fast.
of course it does its an acid. when you drink it its best to drink through a straw to avoid contact with your teeth.

Try and tell me you guys do not drink coffee, soda, tea and alcohol cause they are all acidic. Yes cider is acidic but taken diluted. What makes cider alkaline and some foods we consume is the (composition of the minerals they comprise of in the form of ash). You don't have to be afraid of organic salt or cider. You don't have to bash what you do not know. Just do your own research and be healthier for it. Further note, I visit the dentist every 6mo.(yesterday in fact) my choppers are fine.

What is amusing is you can take a product like Pink Salt 84. Table salt has all the minerals stripped; whereas Pink Salt has (wait for it)84 minerals and trace elements. Some of the reasons Table salt is so unhealthy is that it is treated with conditioning agents also treated with bleach(Yum). It is heated to 1,200 degrees F and promotes acidity in the body. The pink has its color due to the minerals it contains and balances the body's PH. Comes from the Himalayan mountains and provides a multitude of health benefits. I was just offering suggestions.
You started out suggesting we should believe that "regular" salt has glass and sand in it. DO you DENY that now? NaCl is NaCl, "sea salt" contains whatever impurities, dangerous or otherwise, which were contained in the salt water from which it is made.

Last edited:
Try and tell me you guys do not drink coffee, soda, tea and alcohol cause they are all acidic. Yes cider is acidic but taken diluted. What makes cider alkaline and some foods we consume is the (composition of the minerals they comprise of in the form of ash). You don't have to be afraid of organic salt or cider. You don't have to bash what you do not know. Just do your own research and be healthier for it. Further note, I visit the dentist every 6mo.(yesterday in fact) my choppers are fine.
You're daft, the cider I buy is not diluted with anything and the label says "100% pressed apple juice, no additives or preservatives". This is not the forum to be trying to sell your snake oil theories. .

Every day for lunch, I go to the salad bar in the cafeteria at my job and get a serving of raw spinach, toss in a couple olives, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes and shaved carrots. I hit it with a few turns of the pepper mill and top it off with olive oil and a few shakes of balsamic vinegar.

Gets the job done.

A reputable company will send you a mineral breakdown. This company is certified by at least 8 classifications. @salt84.com 866-802-9366 Look it up, check it out.
A fool and his money.

So since we're talking salt, what's the deal with iodine in table salt? I thought that was necessary for your thyroid and one of the only sources for it.

When I buy regular salt I look for one that does not contain aluminum additives. The other ingredients don't look harmful, and iodide is good. All in moderation, of course.

Blue cheese was mentioned above. It is great for flavor, and you don't need a lot of it. French Brie is not as strong as blue, but very nice with some foods. American Brie is fine but not as flavorful. I find Brie tastier at room temperature than cold. And I like the rind too.

Back to the original topic, I would simply try various dried herbs that are easy to find and keep on hand. Oregano, thyme, etc. Fresh ground black pepper is very nice too.

If anyone is interested; one can eat kelp or kelp tabs. The Iodine we need is potassium,sodium iodide and molecular iodine.
I'm not interested. What are you, stock boy at a "health" food store selling all manor of "herbal" snake oil.

You can get some decent balsamic and olive oil at Aldi's for a reasonable price. Also check out Penzey's for some great spices. Esp, their chili powders. Plus they have white pepper. You can ride your new bike to the store.
smile.gif

If you feel table salt is good for you than use it. Processed salt is in simple terms (unhealthy). In simple terms table salt is 1/3 sodium. If you would like to complicate it's composition than do your own research. Again I was trying to suggest and keep it simple. IMO
One, table salt is NOT just sodium. Sodium in its pure form, is a very reactive metal. It will spontaneously burst into flame upon contact with water.

Two, table salt or any editable salt, including your pink version, is a compound of Sodium and Chlorine. The former has a positive charge, the later a negative charge. Thus Na+Cl- is the compound being discussed. It's very, very stable and safe to consume. However, the two elements that make it up are very dangerous and toxic to all life and quite volatile. However, together, they perk up the flavor of all foods.

Inorganic Chemistry is like that. Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride. Your Pink84 brand may well have sand and glass in it. Does it completely dissolve in water? With no visible residue?

Chemistry: It's Not Just A Good Idea. It's The LAW!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
If you feel table salt is good for you than use it. Processed salt is in simple terms (unhealthy). In simple terms table salt is 1/3 sodium. If you would like to complicate it's composition than do your own research. Again I was trying to suggest and keep it simple. IMO
One, table salt is NOT just sodium. Sodium in its pure form, is a very reactive metal. It will spontaneously burst into flame upon contact with water.

Two, table salt or any editable salt, including your pink version, is a compound of Sodium and Chlorine. The former has a positive charge, the later a negative charge. Thus Na+Cl- is the compound being discussed. It's very, very stable and safe to consume. However, the two elements that make it up are very dangerous and toxic to all life and quite volatile. However, together, they perk up the flavor of all foods.

Inorganic Chemistry is like that. Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride is Sodium Chloride. Your Pink84 brand may well have sand and glass in it. Does it completely dissolve in water? With no visible residue?

Chemistry: It's Not Just A Good Idea. It's The LAW!

Agreed. What is our union dominated educational system getting to? Water is two thirds O2 by "health boy's 'calculation' - a combination of two gasses, I don't hear anyone saying that the two gasses in combination are "bad for ya".

I think Toaster_Jer has this in mind -- the ingredients in Morton's table salt. While NaCl is the first ingredient, there are other additives. For example, calcium silicate is derived from limestone (hence his assertion about having sand in table salt).

Similarly, magnesium carbonate is chalk.

If one assumes that there are useful components in sea salt then table salt would be considered inferior because all these components are stripped off and then sold as dietary supplements.

FVBVGK8FYTCLC4F.MEDIUM.jpg

I don't see " a third sand and glass" in the Morton. That statement has NOT been retracted. He has a little trouble with percentages and fractions, at the very least.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Well first off, heating an inorganic compound like sodium chloride to any temperature below its decomposition temperature won't do a thing to it chemically (and NaCl has a very high decomposition temperature). Sodium chloride is also a neutral salt, it can't "promote acidity" in the body.

What kind of bleach do they use? What kind of conditioning agents? Do you mean anti-caking agents?

And those minerals that color the Himalayan salt, do you know what they are? How is it that you aren't worried about them yet you are worried about the non-existent things in common table salt? How do you know what it does to the pH of the body, is that something you read online? How do you know what you are reading is accurate and not just a puff piece to sell more salt?

Those 84 mysterious and unknown minerals scare me more than the one mineral in table salt. You really have no idea what they are and what they might do.

In terms of being "salt" that Himalayan salt is gram for gram just as unhealthy as regular table salt.
Back when chemistry was taught in the public schools we learned that there were acids, bases, and salts. Salts are a combination of acids and bases and have a neutral PH. Perhaps there are some "acidic" bases which have been created in the lab, but that would be like making "dry water".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I don't see " a third sand and glass" in the Morton. That statement has NOT been retracted. He has a little trouble with percentages and fractions, at the very least.

Yes, you can't tell from the nutrition information how much the silica or calcium are. Out of 1,400 mg, Na is 290 mg and K is 350 mg. That leaves 760 mg for Cl and the other components.

More info on nutrition labels according to health.gov... [Food labels list sodium rather than salt content. When reading a Nutrition Facts Panel on a food product, look for the sodium content. Foods that are low in sodium (less than 140 mg or 5 percent of the Daily Value [DV]) are low in salt.]

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/pass-the-salt-but-not-that-pink-himalayan-stuff/

Quote:
I found a website that reports the results of a spectral analysis of Himalayan salt. I think this is where the claim comes from. Even if this analysis is accurate, it is meaningless for health and if anything is worrisome. The amount of minerals in it is too minuscule to make any difference, and we already get plenty of the same trace minerals from other foods. They claim that two double-blind studies were done, but no such studies are listed in PubMed. There is no evidence published in peer-reviewed journals that replacing white salt with pink salt makes a shred of difference or leads to any improvement in health.

If you read down the list of minerals, you will notice that it includes a number of radioactive substances like radium, uranium, and polonium. It also includes substances that act as poisons, like thallium. I wouldn’t be worried, since the amounts are so small; but if anyone believes the trace amounts of “good” minerals in Himalayan sea salt are good for you, why not believe the trace amounts of poisons and radioactive elements are bad for you?

The claim that pink Himalayan salt contains 84 trace minerals may be true, but the claim that it “promotes health and wellness” is false until proven otherwise by legitimate clinical studies. While waiting for evidence, I’d just as soon my salt didn’t contain uranium.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Yes, you can't tell from the nutrition information how much the silica or calcium are. Out of 1,400 mg, Na is 290 mg and K is 350 mg. That leaves 760 mg for Cl and the other components.

More info on nutrition labels according to health.gov... [Food labels list sodium rather than salt content. When reading a Nutrition Facts Panel on a food product, look for the sodium content. Foods that are low in sodium (less than 140 mg or 5 percent of the Daily Value [DV]) are low in salt.]

Rather eat wholesome food where you can take control the amount of sea salt to add. Less can food which need preservative the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back