sealing a connection in a downspout

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I have two downspouts that I connected via a cut in one and insertion of the other into it.

It really works pretty great - its a space saving wye that lets me remove more water from one of our lower roofs that before only had a downspout on the complete opposite side.

Thing is, under heavy rains, some of the water, maybe 20% comes out of the hole. I cut the main downspout to as small of a hole as possible to accommodate the other angled downspout pipe entering into it. It fits tight without play, but water can slip out.

So what's the best product to seal this so that all the water goes out the bottom of the downspout and away from the house? I was thinking of some of that gutter sealant from OSI or something like that. Perhaps silicone caulk too.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

+1

I would disconnect them, silicone outside the smaller one and just inside the larger one and re join them. You can also add a little outside to be sure. Try to allow ,like, 16 hours to dry completely.

Are you saying that the last part of the downspout that extends out away from the house is leaking? Then it's probably because you inserted into the next piece rather than over.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Are you saying that the last part of the downspout that extends out away from the house is leaking? Then it's probably because you inserted into the next piece rather than over.

I cut a rectangle in the side of one downspout and inserted the end of another into it. It lets me drain two downspouts to one point. Works great, just dont want the fraction of water coming out to drip down there... Want it to all come out the bottom and into the pipe.

Sealing the splice point will fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back