Seafoam in my Corvette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Brand new here. I took the valve covers off of my 78 Corvette and there was lots of sludge built up in there. There is a debate going on about whether I should use Seafoam or not. Some say that it may end up loosening too much sludge that would end up circulating through the engine and do damage. They say to leave it alone.

Others say that it would work great to clean it up. I put very few miles on the car so ARX wouldn't be practical. I'm leaning toward using the Seafoam, but now I'm confused!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Originally Posted By: hamsteria
Hello,

Brand new here. I took the valve covers off of my 78 Corvette and there was lots of sludge built up in there. There is a debate going on about whether I should use Seafoam or not. Some say that it may end up loosening too much sludge that would end up circulating through the engine and do damage. They say to leave it alone.

Others say that it would work great to clean it up. I put very few miles on the car so ARX wouldn't be practical. I'm leaning toward using the Seafoam, but now I'm confused!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian!

YOu have to tell us what you trying to achieve in this case? Combustion chamber cleanliness? or oil-related sludge?

For former, seafoam is a good bet; as for latter, AutoRx works beautifully.

Q.

I agree that arx would be the best, but you stated you don't drive alot. How long would it take you to drive 11,000 miles for the two cycles? If anything, it would be an excuse for you to drive your corvette.

As far as seafoam, most recommend against it, but I have never personally heard of an engine failure because of using seafoam. I have also read great successes with seafoam.

Me personally, I would use the arx if possible. It is just a safer route.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Frank
It makes no difference how long it takes if your oil is good so is Auto-Rx.

If a person is only driving a thousand or so miles a year is there anything they should do differently? Change the filter during the process? Run fewer miles on the ARx?

Seems like there would be some time component in the equation.

It would take me years to drive the car that many miles. That's why I thought Seafoam would be better than ARX. I'm looking for something that would not require me to put lots of miles on the car to work. ARX looks like a good product, but I wouldn't be able to use it because of that.

Any other suggestions to help clean that sludge?

Thanks.

Due to what sounds like large amounts of sludge and the very little driving done, I think I would take off the valve covers and oil pan and manually clean them. Also clean what you can on the oil pickup screen and whatever else there and in the valvetrain. The first oil change after that would happen sooner than later just to get out anything that may have broke loose into the oil system.

I'd say if it's a manual clean, he should drop the oil pan also and remove the intake manifold. Maybe even the exhaust manifold (not sure on that one).

Seafoam per MSDS states that it is 60-80% pale oil (a light 5W to 20w viscosity clear mineral oil), 20-15% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, and 20-5% naptha (Coleman camp stove fuel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back