sdf-15 vs sdf-10, sdf-57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be replacing the sdf-10 on my wifes 93 Corolla 1.8 & the sdf-57 on my geo 1.3 with sdf-15's. Both cars are running amsoil s2000 0w-30. How much additional oil will this add to the system?
Does anyone have the flow rate/ contaminate holding capacity numbers on these filters? Reasons for going to larger filters are 1. easier cold weather flow. 2. more filtration area/higher filter capacity. 3.Increased oil capacity. 4. better filtration since the same volume of oil will be spread out over several times the area of media. 5. filters cost less. 6. I can use a real filter wrench
smile.gif
Does this sound like I'm on the right track or am I missing something? Is there any negative aspects to doing this other than the additional cost of makeup oil? Both cars have room to run this filter, could even run the sdf-26 but don't think it would be cost effective over the sdf-15. What do you think?
Thanks,
Steve

There really is no downside to running a larger filter. More flow, more media, more dirt trapping ability, etc. You'll gain about 1 quart in total oil capacity by stepping up to the SDF15. When I added a SDF15 and BE90 bypass filter to my Vibe, the capacity went from 4 quarts to over 6!
shocked.gif

Be careful, the sdf-10 has a gasket that is about .27" smaller than the other two. Might try the sdf-84 to replace the sdf-10.

My Vibe uses the SDF-10 as OEM replacement. When I installed the BMK-13 I noticed that the gasket on the spin-on adapter stuck out past the edge of the filter mount by a very small fraction. No leaks so far but is this something I should be concerned about? The gasket sits in a fairly large groove so it shouldn't blow out easily.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Be careful, the sdf-10 has a gasket that is about .27" smaller than the other two. Might try the sdf-84 to replace the sdf-10.

Also the bypass pressure is noticeably higher with the SDF10-
12-16 PSI vs 7-9 PSI.
As per volume increas-
SDF10 about 23 oz.
SDF57 about 18 oz.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Kapaun:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

Also the bypass pressure is noticeably higher with the SDF10-
12-16 PSI vs 7-9 PSI.
As per volume increas-
SDF10 about 23 oz.
SDF57 about 18 oz.

Since he's going to a larger filter with a lower bypass setting, I wouldn't be to concerned. Going the other way would give me pause.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
My Vibe uses the SDF-10 as OEM replacement. When I installed the BMK-13 I noticed that the gasket on the spin-on adapter stuck out past the edge of the filter mount by a very small fraction. No leaks so far but is this something I should be concerned about? The gasket sits in a fairly large groove so it shouldn't blow out easily.

Without actually looking at it, it's hard to make a judgement call on this. Maybe someone with an identical setup could give better advice. Just remember, if it lets go at speed, it'll probably empty the pan in about 10 seconds or less.
shocked.gif

Amsoil Filter Substitutions - in most cases, the substitute is simply a longer version of the same filter. Make sure there is enough clearance to use it and remember that the engine can rock back and forth on its' mounts!

SDF34 in place of SDF57 - Toyotas
SDF96 in place of SDF57 - Toyota Tacoma/2.4L
SDF23 in place of SDF29 - GM V-6's
SDF24 in place of SDF25 - Mercruisers
SDF36 in place of SDF20 - Honda/Acura
SDF26 in place of SDF15 - Ford V-8's
SDF15 in place of SDF96 - Old Toyota pickups
SDF99 in place of SDF41 - Ford PSD's
SDF20 in place of SDF13 - Mazda, Nissan

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

Status