Screwdrivers - which ones do you actually use?

My favorite is the #3 Phillips, but I don't run into very many 1/4 inch screws with a Phillips head; so I don't get to use it very often.

90% of my screwdriving is with a decent 4 in 1 screwdriver. The bits are decent and the handle is comfortable. Got a drawer of others if needed.

Side note: my dad didn't own a decent screwdriver. Every one was either a worn out Phillips or a straight blade that he'd tried to grind back into shape after he pried or chiseled with it. He wouldn't throw a screwdriver out no matter what. I gave him a 4 in1 and he didn't like it. Good old dad.

These are my favorite screwdrivers, hard to get in the US as they are PB Swiss made for Hoffman, the difference is the hard composite handles. The blades are hardened and do not make good pry bars.

IMG_0295.JPG

99% of the time I use an old 4-way Husky with an orange handle. General house and auto maintenance. Might buy a ratcheting one, next time, if this one ever wears out.
More and more screws seem to have random proprietary heads but thankfully they usually come with a bit. If so I try to leave it in the box with them.

These are my favorite screwdrivers, hard to get in the US as they are PB Swiss made for Hoffman, the difference is the hard composite handles. The blades are hardened and do not make good pry bars.
Those are my favorites too, but I prefer the soft grip which they call the "SwissGrip."

Lots of working on my Fifth wheel this winter so I have my Robertson #2 all shined up and in service.

BTW, "phillips" is a style of drive not a head style.

BTW, "phillips" is a style of drive not a head style.
If so is this category listing in Grainger correct or not?

Phillips Screwdrivers

140 products
Phillips screwdrivers have a Phillips-style tip at the end of the shaft that is cross shaped and is inserted into the Phillips indentation in the screwhead and the handle is turned to rotate the screw. Philips tips provide a more secure grip on the fastener head and are less likely to cam out (slip out of the head) and damage the screwhead and adjacent surfaces compared to a slotted head screwdriver.

My list is pretty much the same as yours. I used to use torx pretty frequently when I worked on everything now I rarely use those. Also my pocket screwdrivers get used a lot but not necessarily for screws haha. I don’t own any JIS drivers. It’s not as frequent that we use screwdrivers as we do other tools. I use my number 2s daily pretty much because I’m the designated license plate installer at work haha. You actually wouldn’t believe how many plates I put on because salesman don’t have the right tools or it’s a customer who I isn’t sure how so my selection of number 2 drivers gets rotated and occasionally you’ll run across one that isn’t number 2 so you have to go get something else. Usually the service advisors will borrow screwdrivers and use them more than we do because they have to tighten their desk screws or something or whatever they have to do. I also use my cabinet flat head a good bit for hose clamps that are hard to get too. That’s like the one flat head i actually use for turning something instead of prying lol.

Also JIS screwdrivers. Some of the new Phillips ISOs allow for use with JIS screws but a dedicated JIS driver works better. JIS is frequently used on Japanese bikes and cars, watches, and optical devices. Here are some small ones. If you need to loosen or tighten screws on your Japanese riflescope or similar, better use a JIS screwdriver, especially in a high-torque application with tiny screws. A JIS drive will bite whereas a Phillips may slip and strip. There are different types of crosshead designs. Phillips, Posidriv (developed from Phillips), JIS.

Last edited:
If so is this category listing in Grainger correct or not?

Phillips Screwdrivers

140 products
Phillips screwdrivers have a Phillips-style tip at the end of the shaft that is cross shaped and is inserted into the Phillips indentation in the screwhead and the handle is turned to rotate the screw. Philips tips provide a more secure grip on the fastener head and are less likely to cam out (slip out of the head) and damage the screwhead and adjacent surfaces compared to a slotted head screwdriver.
Yes, it refers to "phillips" as a drive type.

not sure if Im allowed to add wishlist sds, but I heard the philips head screws installed in specific Japanese built vehicles actually are a specific JIS standard. Would like to purchase a reasonable priced to add to the collection.

Yes, it refers to "phillips" as a drive type.
But, then they make the mistake at the end when they say "slotted head"

I just like to mess with people, especially ones that call hex keys "allen wrenches" or Socket head cap screws as "allen head bolts" when they arent allen heads or bolts. :cool:

I use some older Xcellite in #2 Phillips and Robertson, also some slightly newer Klein. The Robertson is pretty much for pocket screws.

This is an interesting thread. I never knew square-drive was called Robertson; just that they are annoying and cam-out easily. When buying screws I avoid them. Torx are almost as bad due to the fragility of the bits.

Also never knew of the Japanese "phillips" heads, I'm sure I've come across them but never have used a specialized bit. How are you supposed to tell whether it's Phillips or JIS?

Back