scan tool recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bitogers:

Need to update my current scanner. Auto Xray 6000.
Budget: up to $1,000. Needed for advanced DIY.
Presently looking at:
Innova 3160b and a Maxidas 708 (slightly over budget).
What are you using? Like/dislike?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
(Topic probably should be in tool forum, but this subforum seems to get more hits).

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Working on all makes or just one?

Innova 3160 is great the "B" could only be better.

If just one make you can get a dongle for a laptop/ bluetooth and proprietary software.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Working on all makes or just one?

Innova 3160 is great the "B" could only be better.

If just one make you can get a dongle for a laptop/ bluetooth and proprietary software.

Hi eljefino:
All makes/models. Do a lot of work for friends/family. Mostly domestic/Asian.
thx for the quick reply,
Joe

Joe,
I have the innova 3160b. It' a pretty versatile scan too but I am not very happy with its performance actually. I got it mainly for streaming live data and from the ECM and it freezes sometimes or it takes a while to switch from one sensor to another.

That's my only qualm with it. Once it switches to the sensor of interest, it's usually pretty good.

thx for the reply saw;

I emailed Innova about software updates and they never responded. Have you ever tried to update?
Scanner gets good reviews on Amazon. Just wonder about customer support. If they can't bother to answer a few questions from a potential buyer, sorta leaves me wondering....

I was hoping my 3160 would turn into a 3160b with an internet upgrade. No such luck.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I am a scan tool junkie..got 17 of them from several OTC models, a GM Tech 2 and new MDI, Innova and others.

With that, I think this one is a great new option for us and I will be getting one soon. You should really consider it. eBay has them for A LOT less too!

http://www.pro.innova.com/Product/FullDetail/aa00a079-1a92-43e6-81f9-56689f996baa

I was hoping to hear from you GMBoy. Lordstown here. Love to have a Tech 2 but pricing and updates a little high. Snap On same reason. Will definitely look into the scanner you linked to. I'd prefer to work on only GM cars, but whatever rolls into my driveway, I try to fix.

Do you trust ebay for scanners? Some of the scanners are Chinese knock-offs. Especially the Maxidas 708's. (Ironic: Maxidas "reverse engineers" their scanners, then they in turn get cloned by other Chinese manufacturers.)
thx for the reply, I value your opinion.
Joe

I've been waiting for the autel 609 to truly become available.

Problem with most tools is hat they don't cover euro brands and other stuff.

Isn't autoengenuity like $10k?

Originally Posted By: Donald
A few of on the forum have this one, its PC based. http://www.autoenginuity.com/

thx for the reply Donald,

I have looked at AE laptop based scanners. However, for their enhanced packages, it gets expensive fast.
Not sure what they charge for yearly update subscriptions either.
thx for the suggestion,
Joe

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Hi JHZR2:

Maybe with all the options the AE would be around 3k (just a guess). I seldom work on euro brands, so not much of an issue there. I live near a GM plant and mostly work on domestics (majority GM) with a few Asians sprinkled in.

Know anything about Autel's Maxidas 708? Came out a few years ago with lots of bugs and holes in coverage. Seem to be really trying to improve the product with numerous free upgrades (one year free). One of the few affordable scanners that offer some bi-directional options.
thx for the reply
Joe

Originally Posted By: Joe72Mart
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Hi JHZR2:

Maybe with all the options the AE would be around 3k (just a guess). I seldom work on euro brands, so not much of an issue there. I live near a GM plant and mostly work on domestics (majority GM) with a few Asians sprinkled in.

Know anything about Autel's Maxidas 708? Came out a few years ago with lots of bugs and holes in coverage. Seem to be really trying to improve the product with numerous free upgrades (one year free). One of the few affordable scanners that offer some bi-directional options.
thx for the reply
Joe

I had the opportunity to demo a Maxidas DS 708 a while back - I was in the market for the same reasons you are, so the Cornewell rep loaned me one.

I liked that it's VERY fast. It has bidirectional controls and can access all menus of the vehicles I tried it on (p-train, body, chassis, abs and srs). It seemed to offer a wide coverage of manufacturers too.

Also was wifi capable and could run a web browser for tech support of codes.

Instead of updates, you "subscribe" to it and are issued running changes over the course of a year. Through Cornwell it would have been ~900.00/year. That's not to say that it's required to run though. When it's sold, it's capable of running right out of the box and (at least with me) the first subscription came with the scan tool. I was also told that there is no back charging for waiting 2 or 3 years to renew your subscription.

What I didn't like about it was that even though it came with the GM 12 pin OBD 1 connector, it wouldn't communicate with my wife's 1995 Grand Am. Also didn't like that it had no on board battery. So if you wanted to take it to the bench, you needed to use the accessory power cable, or if you happened to yank the cable out of the data port with your leg or foot, you have to start over again.

In the end, I ended up with a Snap On Solus Ultra because it WOULD communicate with the older stuff that I see and would run on it's own without being plugged in.

To summarize, the Maxidas is a good "bang for the buck" scan tool that has a few quirks and no OBD 1 coverage.

Hope this helps!

Wow, not having internal battery on DAS708? I thought it would have built-in lithium rather than a 9V alkaline.

See, this is the problem with the far east companies; they never actually have usability tests before releasing a product. I can't think of any recent electronic device without having some kind of battery and non-volatile storage. Even throw-away GPS have battery in it.

Autel OBD code readers costing more than $50 have ability to install 9V battery. How in the world that feature was de-content?

Well, at least now I no longer will be lusting after it any more.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
Joe,
I have the innova 3160b. It' a pretty versatile scan too but I am not very happy with its performance actually. I got it mainly for streaming live data and from the ECM and it freezes sometimes or it takes a while to switch from one sensor to another.

That's my only qualm with it. Once it switches to the sensor of interest, it's usually pretty good.

Try using the custom live data feature to limit it to just the sensors that you want to see. This might help with the refresh slowdowns and freezes. Some OBDII protocols refresh slower than others, which would be a function of the vehicle's ECM rather than the scan tool.

To access Custom Live data, hold down the LD button from the Live Data screen, go into the Live Data menu, and there will be an option to customize it.

I think autoenginuity w/OE enhanced coverage will be your best bet. The interface is a bit slow, and they do lack some features for certain makes, but their coverage for domestics is quite good.

Originally Posted By: Joe72Mart
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I am a scan tool junkie..got 17 of them from several OTC models, a GM Tech 2 and new MDI, Innova and others.

With that, I think this one is a great new option for us and I will be getting one soon. You should really consider it. eBay has them for A LOT less too!

http://www.pro.innova.com/Product/FullDetail/aa00a079-1a92-43e6-81f9-56689f996baa

I was hoping to hear from you GMBoy. Lordstown here. Love to have a Tech 2 but pricing and updates a little high. Snap On same reason. Will definitely look into the scanner you linked to. I'd prefer to work on only GM cars, but whatever rolls into my driveway, I try to fix.

Do you trust ebay for scanners? Some of the scanners are Chinese knock-offs. Especially the Maxidas 708's. (Ironic: Maxidas "reverse engineers" their scanners, then they in turn get cloned by other Chinese manufacturers.)
thx for the reply, I value your opinion.
Joe

Thanks for the complement. As for the Tech 2...the last release for it was December 2012. No more coming as we are into the new MDI system so you won't have to worry about costly updates and it will cover most of what you will see. If you buy an Innova or other brand scanner off ebay by a reputable seller, you're ok. Tech 2's are harder to be certain due to the Chinese knock offs out there but usually if you're paying $800 and above on a used one it's okay.

Here is another great choice, and I have one. It will do all OBD2 , SRS and ABS on most models too. No OBD1, however.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-9450-Bilingu...e4e&vxp=mtr

It's a heck of a deal and shows A LOT of live data!
and for OBD 1 and 2 I have the older non color version but the color is even nicer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-Tools-3499N-...98f&vxp=mtr

If you go to OTC's website you can review literature online about these tools and be more informed to see if they fit your needs. But I think they will - OTC is top quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the above advice. Leaning toward the Innova.

AE with the enhanced packages would fit my needs, can't justify the price. Most of the work I do is on friends/family vehicles, so my labor is donated. Hard to recoup my scanner costs when my revenue is zero.

Will be keeping an eye on Ebay to perhaps pick up a used Tech 2 to complement my scanners. I do work mostly on GM products. If the Tech 2 is being phased out, they should start popping up on ebay-thx GMBoy.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back