2002 Chevy Silverado Scan tool recommendation

Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado (5.3L, LT) with 456k miles.

For a few years now, EVAP codes and Catalyst codes (P0430, etc.) have been popping up and causing issues with my SMOG checks (California). The old smog shop I went to would use a Snap-On Tool and they would show me data such as O2 sensor info, fuel trims, graphs, etc. They were honest and would tell me if I needed a Catalytic Converter (CAT) or not. The shop is long gone (closed down) and all of the smog shops that I have been taking our truck to seem to just take the easy way out and call out a bad CAT as soon as they see a P0430 pop up.

Looking to buy a scan tool that will accommodate my needs and provide good solid info (live data) on common codes that pop up for our Silverado. I don't want to replace a CAT if it's not needed. Willing to spend under 700$ but do not want to be paying for software updates. The Silverado is our only OBD 2 vehicle.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

P0420/P0430 usually does mean you need a cat. Just about every time those codes pop up, you need a cat.

Only once have I ever seen that code without the cat needing to be replaced, and that was due to rust, which doesn't happen where you are. But in that case, there was a hole on the pipe between the two oxygen sensors (upstream and downstream) that let extra air in to trigger the code. Theoretically it could be patched up, but you're better off replacing it anyway.

You can get a very good scan tool for less than half the cost of your price limit. A good choice is Innova 5512 which does OBD1 and 2. Here is a used one for $155 and a new one for $200

P0420/P0430 usually does mean you need a cat. Just about every time those codes pop up, you need a cat.

Only once have I ever seen that code without the cat needing to be replaced, and that was due to rust, which doesn't happen where you are. But in that case, there was a hole on the pipe between the two oxygen sensors (upstream and downstream) that let extra air in to trigger the code. Theoretically it could be patched up, but you're better off replacing it anyway.

You can get a very good scan tool for less than half the cost of your price limit. A good choice is Innova 5512 which does OBD1 and 2. Here is a used one for $155 and a new one for $200
Thanks,

How does the INNOVA 5610, OBD2 Bidirectional Scan Tool, compare to the Innova 5512? I keep reading that bidirectional scanning option on Innova scan tools, is not going to pop up for my 2002 Silverado. Willing to spend a little more money if I can get a good scanner that will run an evap test on my Silverado, has bidirectional capabilities, reads 02 sensor info (graph) and doesn't require more money to upgrade the software.

Last edited:
Thanks,

How does the INNOVA 5610, OBD2 Bidirectional Scan Tool, compare to the Innova 5512? I keep reading that bidirectional scanning using Innova scan tools on a 2002 Silverado, is not going to pop up. Willing to spend a little more money if I can get a good scanner that will run an evap test, has bidirectional capabilities, reads 02 sensor info (graph) and doesn't require more money to upgrade the software.

The difference seems to be that the 5610 is bidirectional while the 5510/5512 is not. I have never needed to use the bidirectional capability. Both 5510 and 5610 can use the OBD1 connectors (Innova sells the set as 3129). The 5512 is the same as 5510 but includes the OBD1 adapters (my 5512 didn't include them, as I bought it used)

Innova's site is very good and will inform you of the capabilities of each scan tool for your Silverado. All you have to do is enter the year/make/model and the Innova model number.

Try the OBDFusion app. You'll need either a WIFI or a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the obd2 port. While it won't display live data it will let you log data that can be analyzed in Excel.

I have the Innova 5610 and it's a decent scanner but it's bi-directional capabilities may be limited depending on the vehicle. It will accept Innova's OBD1 connectors which I have in my Innova 3140d scanner set.

The one big drawback for my 5610 and a few other people that I know is that it won't update using the updater program that you download onto your computer. I bought mine new in February of 2020 and it updated once after I got it and now it no longer will. Mine is stuck with 2018 software and information even though the new ones offer 2022 info. Innova tech support has not been able to help other than to tell me I have to send it back in to them to get updated.

I have the Innova 5610 and it's a decent scanner but it's bi-directional capabilities may be limited depending on the vehicle. It will accept Innova's OBD1 connectors which I have in my Innova 3140d scanner set.

The one big drawback for my 5610 and a few other people that I know is that it won't update using the updater program that you download onto your computer. I bought mine new in February of 2020 and it updated once after I got it and now it no longer will. Mine is stuck with 2018 software and information even though the new ones offer 2022 info. Innova tech support has not been able to help other than to tell me I have to send it back in to them to get updated.
Are you able to view short and long term fuel trims and can 02 sensor data be viewed thru graphs?

Reactions: wtd
When it was my money, I bought a used-on-eBay Snap-On Solus Pro scan tool kit with scan tool, cables, adapters for OBD-1, personality keys for OBD-2, a rechargeable battery with some life left in it, a charger, operator's manuals on DVDs, and a bigass suitcase to haul it around for $350 delivered to my door. Software good to '07 (version 8.2). Does everything I've asked of it except auto-bleed the ABS module on my '97 K2500. It'll auto-bleed the ABS of my '03 Trailblazer, though. Does all the other ABS functions, just not auto-bleed on the '97.

The auto-bleed problem is fixed on the 14.2 software for sure; and I've heard it got corrected for the Version 10.x, but don't have confirmation.

Bi-directional control is wonderful. I can force the AIR system to route the airflow where I want it to see if the valving works. I can swing the needles on the gauges in the instrument cluster from "0" to "full scale" to see if the stepper-motors work. I can adjust idle speed in 50 RPM increments to verify the IAC motor and wire harness, and the ability of the computer to send proper signals. There's no end to the utility of bi-directional control--IF (big IF) the computer has those functions as an option.

Far as I'm concerned, better to have a used-but-usable "Professional-grade" scan tool than a brand-new "consumer-grade" tool.

Snap-on software on GMT-800 trucks is really good, Even a MT2500 with let's say 2005 software will do most anything on a 2002 GMT-800.

Some of the Chinese Tech-2 clones aren't too bad, I know a shop/tech that gets 2-3 years out of them. There's also Tech2Win software that you can rent from GM/AC Delco TDS.....Not sure what OBD2 dongles work with this besides a J2534 or the GM MDI

Back