Sandisk USB Stick Halts Internet on MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Odd problem... Got a new 16GB Sandisk memory stick to keep some files on. Stick it into my Macbook Pro (i7, 16GB, 512SSB, OSX 10.9.5), and the internet stops working, or works intermittently...

I thought it was because we were streaming a lot of HD/4K media on our FIOS connection (25MBPS up/down), but after trying various situations, it is the stick. For example, I'm typing this right now with the stick out. I couldn't load BITOG before I pulled the stick out. Now the stick is out. When I plug it back in, it will not load again...

There isn't any real indication of activity in/out on the wifi connection.

The stick is either from Amazon or Costco, FWIW.

Any ideas?

Defective stick causing the USB bus to reset a bunch of times? Or causing the USB bus to do a PCI reset killing the network card?

Can you read/write files to it?

Do other sticks exhibit the same behavior? I've tried some really sketchy stuff in my Macs and have yet to see this type of behavior.

I'd say if from Costco exchange it - if Amazon return it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Defective stick causing the USB bus to reset a bunch of times? Or causing the USB bus to do a PCI reset killing the network card?

Can you read/write files to it?

Do other sticks exhibit the same behavior? I've tried some really sketchy stuff in my Macs and have yet to see this type of behavior.

I'd say if from Costco exchange it - if Amazon return it.

I don't know what the error/issue is.

I can read/write files on it just fine. It is USB 3.0 so it is very fast.

My other USB sticks are USB 2.0, and no they work perfectly.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Is the socket USB 3.0?

These are usually have blue tongues...

Yes the stick and socket are USB 3.0. I've used the USB 3 for transfer of 36MP photos from my camera, as well as on to a HDD. Moth are exceptionally fast.

I'll have to see if I have another USB 3 stick someplace to try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back