Samsung getting thumped in court by Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jigen
Samsung is also not known for really being called "good guys" when it comes to business practices.

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/

And here come the links stating the same things from Apple...
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Samsung is also not known for really being called "good guys" when it comes to business practices.

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/

33.gif

Not saying there's not. They are two juggernauts. No such thing as being the good guys when you are that huge.

Copying technology or appearance is nothing new in the technology world. I don't understand the "fanboy" mentality of only buying from one company. I have always bought technology items from a research standpoint of which one does what I need the best at the most reasonable cost.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

33.gif

Not saying there's not. They are two juggernauts. No such thing as being the good guys when you are that huge.

But yet you only post a link from Samsung.
whistle.gif

And of course this info was part of the court process.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Copying technology or appearance is nothing new in the technology world. I don't understand the "fanboy" mentality of only buying from one company. I have always bought technology items from a research standpoint of which one does what I need the best at the most reasonable cost.

Agree 100%.

But things like this law suit will cause stories like this and this.

After dealing with how Apple does things in their iPhone I'd dump the smartphone before having to deal with a iPhone for MY use.

Bill

Anyone who's read my posts in the past knows how I feel about this. And all it's done is make me lose faith in our court system. Honestly, what do you think would be the situation today if a century ago a single company had patented "A motorized, self propelled coach with 4 wheels". This really is the same kind of things. The jury is also clearly ignoring abundant prior art. This whole thing makes me sick. Well I will never be buying an iphone. I'll keep my Galaxy S2 forever if that's what I have to do.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Honestly, what do you think would be the situation today if a century ago a single company had patented "A motorized, self propelled coach with 4 wheels". This really is the same kind of things.

In the late 1800s, George Seldon did patent the car. It eventually expired because his car never came to fruition. After a couple addendums, a new patent specifically identifying a 2-stroke engine was issued. It was challenged and overturned after a few years by the now established automakers.

To put it simply, when it comes to patents, this is all nothing new. Patents have always been issued for very general ideas. The ones that truly have no merit are challenged in a court of law and, if deemed inappropriate, revoked. This was the case in Sheldon's patents.

Anyone who's read my posts in the past knows how I feel about this. And all it's done is make me lose faith in our court system. Honestly, what do you think would be the situation today if a century ago a single company had patented "A motorized, self propelled coach with 4 wheels". This really is the same kind of things. The jury is also clearly ignoring abundant prior art. This whole thing makes me sick. Well I will never be buying an iphone. I'll keep my Galaxy S2 forever if that's what I have to do.

Cause Samsung is a great company?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/business/worldbusiness/06cnd-samsung.html

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20110610-283339.html

http://news.techeye.net/business/south-korea-makes-example-of-samsung-corruption

No billion dollar company is clean. Not even the Vatican!!!

Samsung went out of their way to make their phone look and act like the iPhone. That's a fact. That's why the jury ruled the way they did.

Your example of a company owning the rights of the car is not the same. Four wheels is NEEDED. A windshield is NEEDED. A motor is NEEDED.

Apple is not looking for compensation from Samsung because they used a touch screen. Because they used a CPU. Because they have a power button.

They sued Samsung because Samsung built their phone to look just like and act like the iPhone. Because Samsung incorporated pinch to zoom. Rubber banding. Those thing are not NEEDED to build a smart phone. They are features that apple spent time on polishing and incorporating into their product to set themselves apart from the competition. Only the have Samsung reverse engineer it and build a phone just like it.

Taking ideas and concepts is one thing. Making your phone look and work like just like your competion serves no use to the public.

This ruling is going to be good for consumers. It's going to push new and better innovation that sets every company apart from each other.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Cause Samsung is a great company?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/business/worldbusiness/06cnd-samsung.html

http://www.asiaone.com/Business/News/Story/A1Story20110610-283339.html

http://news.techeye.net/business/south-korea-makes-example-of-samsung-corruption

No billion dollar company is clean. Not even the Vatican!!!

Samsung went out of their way to make their phone look and act like the iPhone. That's a fact. That's why the jury ruled the way they did.

Your example of a company owning the rights of the car is not the same. Four wheels is NEEDED. A windshield is NEEDED. A motor is NEEDED.

Apple is not looking for compensation from Samsung because they used a touch screen. Because they used a CPU. Because they have a power button.

They sued Samsung because Samsung built their phone to look just like and act like the iPhone. Because Samsung incorporated pinch to zoom. Rubber banding. Those thing are not NEEDED to build a smart phone. They are features that apple spent time on polishing and incorporating into their product to set themselves apart from the competition. Only the have Samsung reverse engineer it and build a phone just like it.

Taking ideas and concepts is one thing. Making your phone look and work like just like your competion serves no use to the public.

This ruling is going to be good for consumers. It's going to push new and better innovation that sets every company apart from each other.

That's like saying that a car having a CD player/USB integration can be patented because it's "Not NEEEDED" The first company to put them in didn't try to patent them, and sue all other manufacturers that have since put it in. It's the same thing.

This ruling is NOT going to be good for the consumer. These patents are for things that just make sense on a smartphone. According to apple, swiping your finger on a screen to unlock it, no matter how it works, is stealing from them. Same thing for pinch to zoom. [censored], I had a samsung dumb phone with a touchscreen a few years before the iphone, that had pinch to zoom. So you are telling me that pinch to zoom should be allowed to be patented? Come on now.

All this is going to do is mean that Samsungs products in the US are going to be banned from sale. That is good for the consumer how? Less choice. Windows phone, blackberry, or iphone. Sounds like a plan to me.

Last edited:
Samsung deserved it.

First when Blackberry was the in-thing, they made "BlackJack" phones powered by Windows. Now the iphone. Serves them right.

But then I hate Steve Jobs for cheating and calling it innovation too.

Long live Windows Phone.

What's wrong with a little similarity between brands?

All cars have steering wheels, gas and brake pedals. Pretty sure the speedometers look about the same too.

The "rounded icon" patent kills me. .. Really?

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
What's wrong with a little similarity between brands?

All cars have steering wheels, gas and brake pedals. Pretty sure the speedometers look about the same too.

That's because eventually the patents expire. At that point, everyone starts using whatever works best, or whatever consumers think works best.

Rumor has it, an Apple lawyer held up a Nokia Lumia 900 in court and said, "see, you don't have to copy an iPhone to build a smart phone." I've used BlackBerrys, Androids, Windows phones, and now an iPhone. The Android environment is clearly intended to be an analog to the iOS environment. BlackBerry has an entirely different look and feel. Windows has an entirely different look and feel. And they both work well.

We might also assume that the chances of the jurors knowing a little bit about technology are good, as they're all from the silicon valley area of California. That they awarded Apple these damages, while at the same time awarding Samsung absolutely nothing, means one of two things:

1) It was evident that Samsung was willfully CASEing (Copy And Steal Everything) what Apple had done with iOS (and evidence was allegedly presented which demonstrated that).

2) Samsung has some very poor legal representation.

Apple is known for using the court to its benefit, but as others have pointed out, Samsung is no stranger to the courtrooms either, so I suspect that it's much more #1 than #2.

I am of the camp that consumers are the victors here. Not everybody likes the iOS look and feel. I love it, but not everybody does. And let's be honest: Android very much has an iOS look and feel. This will force other smart phone companies doing business here to come up with something new and something different. Who knows: the end result might be something that blows all current phone OSes out of the water.

All I can say is that I'm very happy with Samsung's/Google's "copy" of the iPhone which is the Galaxy S. Funny thing is, they "copied" it so well that it works much better than the standard they "copied" from.
Seemingly simple things like notifications, pul-down panel and app drawer are simply light years away from Apple's stuff.
So while Samsung "copied" the looks, Apple "innovated" things like pull-down panel, cloud storage and their bogus multitasking. Don't you love Steve's reality distortion filed?
lol.gif

Then you have little things like deleting pictures on the devise, in this case my wife's iPad2, ONE BY ONE, because apparently using iTtunes is more efficient than the actual device for such trivial things. Or when my kids play with the thing, apps simply disappear because Apple thought that they should make small things like deleting unwanted pictures really difficult to do, while important things, like your apps, dead easy to loose.

That's my point of view though, as my wife simply loves it and sees nothing wrong with disappearing apps or rigidity of the iOS.

That's like saying that a car having a CD player/USB integration can be patented because it's "Not NEEEDED" The first company to put them in didn't try to patent them, and sue all other manufacturers that have since put it in. It's the same thing.

This ruling is NOT going to be good for the consumer. These patents are for things that just make sense on a smartphone.

Putting a CD player and USB port in a car IS patented. Both the CD player and USB host adapter are patented by Sony/Philips and IBM, respectively. To put them in a car, the device manufacturer (supplier providing the part) must license the technology.

Simply because something "just makes sense" doesn't make it public domain, able to be used anywhere, by anyone. You want to talk about stifling innovation. Imagine a world where anybody who develops anything has no way to protect all that work and it will immediately be stolen and produced by a competitor. What incentive is there to invent anymore?

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Everyone's ripping on (or suing) Samsung for the OS; but it was Google that made it, weren't they?

Google released a statement recently that distanced themselves (Android) from Samsung. They noted that everything on trial was a result of Samsung's skin, not the base Android OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back