S & W Bodyguard .380 with integrated laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just got her CC permit and is looking for a lightweight handgun. I really like the S&W Bodyguard .380 with the laser sight. I saw an online dealer selling new ones @ $399 a pop which seems like a smokin' deal. Anyone have any experience with this firearm?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I just saw that S&W is coming out with a 9mm version later this year. Might be worth the wait.

I agree. .380 is not the best carry option.

Modern .380 ammunition will serve fine in a carry. A pistol rated for .380 +p or +p+ will pack quite a hefty punch.
If you can get 9, and are willing to wait for it, 9 is even better, and cheaper to shoot.

Here in Massachusetts, there is a waiting list for the Bodyguard 380 at every gun store- about one month. Demand is greater than the supply.
The list price is 399.00.
A good deal is 350.00.
I put down my 350.00 and now I wait.
It's the hot thing, but the S&W Air Lites are just as small and light revolvers with an equally heavy trigger pull. They're all double action- even the Bodyguard.

SAAMI has no specification for +P or +P+ in .380 Auto. Since there is no standard, there is little likelihood that any pistol manufacturer will rate their pistol for an undefined product. Can you provide a citation for a pistol manufacturer stating that +P or +P+ are ok in their .380?

KelTec recommends that +P is not recommended on a 'regular basis' whatever that means. 380's aren't typical plinking guns anyway. Break 'em in 100-300rds, clean/lube 'em, keep them loaded, and test them a couple times a year. Some guns are picky and a fluff&buff&polish helps. But, its best to know that none of the ammo in your defense weapon has a too long or too short round. Learn what your weapon likes, or get a good gunsmith!

And, for .32/.380 ammo, I recommend that you buy a micrometer and measure ALL your ammo's length and sort from short to tall. My Seecamp likes short ammo. The Keltec likes longer ammo. I grab 100 rounds and the shortest 50 go to Seecamp, and the longest 50 go to Keltec. If I swap the ammo, I see good ol' jamming and misloads, stovepiping, and failures to feed.

BuffaloBore, Magtech, Magsafe, Corbon... have hot 380's if you don't like the +P+P+P+ terminology.

If you compare the KelTech, Ruger, and S&W at the shop, which do you think is the best made weapon? I've bought the Ruger and Keltech even though I wanted the S&W.

Quoting SAAMI is like an oil that isn't certified but meets or exceeds the spec.

My favorite 380 is my NAA Guardian. I prefer all metal over plastic(heirloom potential). But, plastic is easier to carry in the pocket and no one will usually notice. This is probably the issue between 32 and 380, or 380 and 9mm.... you have to be able to carry it and shoot it. 500 S&W makes a great argument. But, where do you hide it? and how often do you take steroids at the gym?

Don't wait for future releases, usually plagued by low serial number issues. Don't wait for the biggest caliper smallest gun, or the most expensive one. Get that 380 now, or other quality reputable weapon in your price range, and learn to use it!

Since its for your wife, let her decide. Now that she's carrying, don't aggravate her anymore ;-)

And as an aside:

The pk380 is worth a look.
P99 meets ppk.
NOt as tiny as the lcp and whatnot, though.

My friend likes his S&W BG.380. To me I'd just rather have it in 9mm. It's not like 9mm is that much bigger that they can't make a BG similiarly sized for 9mm. Like the LC9. Almost an 1" in bigger than the LCP.. No longer a pocket pistol.

Good price on a S&W BG is $350-$375..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back