RX7 Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a RX7 (second gen, 13b) SCCA race car and the PO used premix. I am wondering what my options are since the oil is burned and needed to lubricate the apex seals. Castor/synthetic/natural/blend? Thanks, Chuck

Idemitsu makes a premix specifically for these rotaries. They also produce engine oil specifically for rotaries too. It is a true group IV and V and is less than 10 bucks a quart. Idemitsu developed the oil for the LeMans winning 787b and is very knowledgeable in this field. I would recommend and trust them

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Idemitsu makes a premix specifically for these rotaries. They also produce engine oil specifically for rotaries too. It is a true group IV and V and is less than 10 bucks a quart. Idemitsu developed the oil for the LeMans winning 787b and is very knowledgeable in this field. I would recommend and trust them

Likewise.

It's always interesting how you hear constant advice to NOT use synth in a rotary. Yet the racing team does...

Bean oil will leave lot of deposits on the rotors which won't be a good thing. I have an FD that I autocross and I've searched for the best oil for my application and came across this stuff. Mine is bridge ported but nothing crazy just wakes it up a little bit. I run premix at 150:1

Amsoil Saber Pro has a good rep and is what I run. 4 oz per tank on the street and 16 on the track. I've talked to a tuner that used nothing but ghetto Super Tech in the gallon jug for years until he hit 500rwp. Then moved to Redline.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: quarterliter

Likewise.

It's always interesting how you hear constant advice to NOT use synth in a rotary. Yet the racing team does...

I don't think it is so much about telling people not to use synthetic as much as it is telling people not to use a synthetic that isn't specifically formulated for rotary engines.

Last edited:
Idemitsu is still the best IMO. Specific formulation for rotaries true synthetic and plenty of moly. And 4t oil mixed with gas is not intelligent

Originally Posted By: Chukc
Just bought a RX7 (second gen, 13b) SCCA race car and the PO used premix. I am wondering what my options are since the oil is burned and needed to lubricate the apex seals. Castor/synthetic/natural/blend? Thanks, Chuck

Valvoline site says

WHY WE RECOMMEND
MAXLIFE SYNTHETIC®
FOR YOUR RX-7

However I found this

Can I use synthetic oils in my Rotary engined car?

Yes and no. Mazda officially does not recommend the use of synthetic oils in rotary engines, however, long term and racing use has shown that the better synthetics (Redline, Amsoil, Neo, Royal Purple, Mobil1) are perfectly fine to use in a rotary engine, and will generally result in a 1 to 2% horsepower gain. However use of poor quality synthetics (like Valvoline, Castrol Syntec, Havoline, Etc) will result in build up due to high ash content left from these oils when they are burned. It is believed that is why Mazda did not recommend synthetics, because the couldn't pick favorites.

I didnt know that Castrol Syntec and Havoline and VALVOLINE Were poor quality synthetics

Also some people say to use thick oil.... 10W40 and one guy says b.c the weather 20W50

However Im not to sure,

Read

2cqfpfn.jpg

That info is from the late Icemark who while he meant well was speaking from very old tribology and from relatively unsubsustantiated opinions similar to the "true" synthetic versus group III discussions here. Times and oil have changed.

There is however as you have read lots of discussion in favor of heavier oils in the rotary. That being said if one scours the internet the best RX8 UOA comes from a factory fill 5w20 and the best FD UOAs I think are from 10w30 and specifically GTX. So who really knows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
That info is from the late Icemark who while he meant well was speaking from very old tribology and from relatively unsubsustantiated opinions similar to the "true" synthetic versus group III discussions here. Times and oil have changed.

There is however as you have read lots of discussion in favor of heavier oils in the rotary. That being said if one scours the internet the best RX8 UOA comes from a factory fill 5w20 and the best FD UOAs I think are from 10w30 and specifically GTX. So who really knows.

Okay, I was just trying to help.

Actually I also read on site that it said the nextgen full syn was not advisable b/c Rotory engines can be very picky with many oils and it was not fully tested yet with rotary...

However it could of been a older post.

Furthermore when I put in his info of what would be the best oil for that car it said
MaxLIFE FULL SYN
that was on the valvoline home page.
I think I pasted the info.

Oh no, sorry. I was only speaking to the brand preference discussion you noted. I expect what you got from Valvoline is good as its about the same as what I have seen previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back