Running e85?

"Been running E85 in a 4G63 for 12 years plus. I cycle between periods of 91 & E85. The reason for the high carbon deposits on a E85 motor is that E85 is lacking, in percentage, the PIB cleaning solution found in regular high octane gas (PIB = Polyisobutylene). Injector gunk is very common on E85 run motors due to the low percentage of PIB. Learned this from a petroleum engineer."

Definitely noticed increased deposits in my E85 cars. Am i the only one?

"Been running E85 in a 4G63 for 12 years plus. I cycle between periods of 91 & E85. The reason for the high carbon deposits on a E85 motor is that E85 is lacking, in percentage, the PIB cleaning solution found in regular high octane gas (PIB = Polyisobutylene). Injector gunk is very common on E85 run motors due to the low percentage of PIB. Learned this from a petroleum engineer."

I've never ran E85 but all the 4G, 4B, and EJ series motors I've seen that ran E85 ended up cleaner than running 91/93; with oil changes around 3-5k and a catch can. I have heard of the injectors needing more frequent cleaning though.

E85 is not available here in Vermont, even though flex fuel vehicles are sold here. The only flex fuel station I have seen anywhere around here is in Tarrytown, New York, almost 200 miles away.

If E85 were available, and if Chevrolet made the Corvette a flex fuel vehicle (it isn't) I would try it for the higher octane. The idea of a high performance car being flex fuel and being able to take advantage of the higher octane interests me.

My Lexus runs on 87 octane, and is not flex fuel,

I mentioned this a few years ago in this thread but since it's back up again, aren't you supposed to change your oil more often when using E-85 and aren't you supposed to use non E-85 gasoline at least on a sometime (probably mentioned in your owners manual) basis???...I know that was mentioned in the owners manual of the only flex fuel vehicle I owned...

Good luck with yours

Bill

I mentioned this a few years ago in this thread but since it's back up again, aren't you supposed to change your oil more often when using E-85 and aren't you supposed to use non E-85 gasoline at least on a sometime (probably mentioned in your owners manual) basis???...I know that was mentioned in the owners manual of the only flex fuel vehicle I owned...

Good luck with yours

Bill

Yes, you need to change your oil more often on E85. You use 30% more fuel running ethanol than gasoline, so your oil is more susceptible to fuel dilution. Running a cheap oil not meant for alcohol fuels will make the issue worse.

There's nothing inherently harmful in ethanol, but not keeping up with maintenance and rubber fuel lines not meant for ethanol will eventually cause problems.

this was one of the conclusions saab/gm made in the mid 2000s when they started pushing it.

(BRZ forum, but links to study pdf)

The PEA in regular gas cleans out the PIB left behind from e85. They concluded the best way to clean it up was to run a tank of gasoline through with moderate load, no need for aftermarket additives. Been following this regimen and my injectors stay clean much longer.

I've decided to try e85 in my 2018 Taurus. It is flex fuel. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Does it effect engine life, motor oil, etc? I know you'll experience a drop in fuel economy. I have notice the engine seems quiter and smoother.
No pros to E85, Now Bio diesel has some pros if above 32 degrees

I would think it would be good to use for occasion fuel system cleaning. However I noticed around here the price isn't that much cheaper. For a while it was about a dollar cheaper a gallon.

E85 was proposed when Crude oil imports hit 10 million bbls per day around 2007. The Administration knew they had a problem on their hands and proposed E 85 as part of the solution. After that, horizontal fracking was introduced and US oil production went up and oil imports went down. E85 was no longer required but the farm lobby liked it so much it is still available particularly in certain States.

D2CCFE46-35B2-41BB-8DAA-DBD836AEC794.jpeg

Last edited:
E85 is the red headed child of solutions to gasoline shortages. It was brought in as a solution to an impending decline of oil production and for now it is not required. The next time oil production declines, it will be electric cars that will be relied on, getting power from nuclear, windmills and solar. The next decline in oil production may be natural ( we always drill the best stuff first) or political, but it will come.

Back