Ruger .45 semi's - any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a p-90 i bought in 1995. It has never failed on any round !!! It is absolutely reliable and its overbuilt. The gun was built with 10mm in mind , so if 10mm became a hit, minimal changes would be made on the assembly line to make it 10mm. Its overbuilt and will shoot +p+ all day long.
The downsides? its big, its heavy!

Last edited:
I held the 6603...nice grip kind of like a Hogue built in. The downside to me was the capacity 8+1. That would be the only thing that would deter me. (I just don't think they look pretty either, Ruger is awesome but makes some ugly suckers)
27.gif

P90 is a great weapon! Very under rated IMB. The P345 is also a nice gun with poly frame and takes the P90 mags.

The P345 does have a mag safety. The P90 does not.

Bill

What 1911's were you looking at? Will this be a carry gun? I prefer to carry my TRP 1911 full frame as opposed to my Glock 26 just for feel alone, although quite impractical with shorts in the summer.

I've looked at a variety of 1911's. Springfield, Colt, Remington, Charles Daly, RIA, Kimber, etc...seems like $600 just to get in the game.

The Rugers can be had for $415.

When Ruger designed the P90 they brought in an outside master barrel maker to make sure it had great accuracy to address criticism about the P85. The P90 is pretty well recognized as the most accurate of the P series pistols. Never heard the 10mm angle, have to check that out.

You can't choke one and they won't break. Not the sleekest 45 out there but you're talking a full size cast alloy frame pistol. Price is around the 4506 being discussed, $400 +/-. Can't go wrong if you like how it feels and want a full size 45.

The P345s have a real design problem, if you dry fire them with the mag out you stand a real good chance of damaging the firing pin and you get a "click no bang" problem.

The P90-TH has the hogue grips standard. And I agree that having the wrap around grip is a nice thing to have with the P series that are not poly.
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

I have always thought Ruger to be an under rated handgun. I have a p95 9mm that has been flawless. However, for a .45, I have a Springfield XD that is perfect. High capacity, grip and trigger safety, and always goes bang when I pull the trigger. It can also handle +p ammo with no problem. You can find one for a little more than a Ruger.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=1

But Ruger is fine too. I have an old Security Six and a Mini 14 that will never be sold.

Dont get me wrong but if I was going to buy a 1911 it wouldnt be a Ruger. Nothing wrong with Ruger, they are excellent!! But if I was to buy a 1911 I would definately get something like an Auto-Ordnance 1911 replica. It looks exactly like a WWII service pistol thats not only new but cost about $500. Which is fantastic for a 1911 style pistol.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Dont get me wrong but if I was going to buy a 1911 it wouldnt be a Ruger. Nothing wrong with Ruger, they are excellent!! But if I was to buy a 1911 I would definately get something like an Auto-Ordnance 1911 replica. It looks exactly like a WWII service pistol thats not only new but cost about $500. Which is fantastic for a 1911 style pistol.

That is good since Ruger does NOT build any 1911-45acp weapons.

I had a Ruger P97. It was a great .45, fun to shoot, accurate and deadly reliable. I only sold it to get a small carry gun but in hind sight I should have kept it.

To quote **** Metcalf, the Technical Editor of Shooting Times: "It is also, I will tell you right up front, the most durably accurate service-grade .45 auto I've ever reviewed, delivering average 25-yard full-magazine groups under 2.5 inches at 25 yards, even after 5000 rounds of military-style hardball ammunition. It is a [censored] fine sidearm."

The rest of the review is here:
http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aastrugerp97a.htm

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've looked at a variety of 1911's. Springfield, Colt, Remington, Charles Daly, RIA, Kimber, etc...seems like $600 just to get in the game.

The Rugers can be had for $415.

Yeah, but you gotta pay to play. If you've got your $415 set aside, just let it marinate for awhile and add another $50 to the pile when you get a chance. You'll have enough for a 1911 in no time. You just can't beat the real deal.
MilSPec.jpg

Now THAT'S a gun!

How about you just get a military surplus pistol. You can get 2-3 pistols for the same price as one of these new ones. Heck you could pick up 4-5 CZ82's. Definately look better than these newer modern civilian pistols.

I've put over 3000 rounds through my P-90, and it doesn't skip a beat. Many of it was steel cased Wolf ammo. The thing is built like a tank.

Guys,

I'm in the market for a 45ACP. Remington has a newer 1911 45ACP out, model R1.

"The new Remington 1911 R1 pistol is a variant of the 1911A1 design. Remington has added a flared and lowered ejection port, beveled magazine well, loaded chamber indicator, high profile dovetailed single-dot front and two-dot rear sights, a crisp 3.5-5 lbs trigger and a match grade stainless steel barrel with barrel bushing.

The pistols are manufactured at the Remington factory in Ilion, New York.

Specifications
Action Single Action
Caliber .45 ACP
Magazine Capacity 7 rounds
Barrel Length 5"
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Finish Satin Black Oxide
Rifling Twist Rate 1:16 LH
Overall Length 8.5"
Overall Height 5.5"
Grip Material Walnut
Grip Design Checkered (Double Diamond)
Trigger Pull 3.5 - 5 lbs
Average Weight 38.5 oz
MSRP (Price) $699"

I held one yesterday, nice big sights & feels good. $699.00

Read a couple not-so-good reviews, shooting 3" low at 30 ', etc.

Colt may be the way to go, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back