Rubber Gasket Stuck to Filter Mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: rationull
I've had it happen twice in a row, with Wix filters on one particular car. It's pretty obvious as long as you check.

Same here. Happened with a Wix.

The gasket sticking to the mount has nothing to do with the filter or the brand. It is installation error (no oil on gasket or filter installed too tight) or the filter has been on the vehicle for a long period of time (longer than a normal OCI).

I'll throw my vote in with jegs. I also don't see anything wrong with wiping the mount down to remove any contaminants that may be there. Oiling the new gasket should prevent sticking.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: DinoOil
For me it happens more often than I'd like it to. The first time it happened I must have been distracted and DIDN'T wipe off the filter mount. Well, you know what happened after I put everything together and started the car, don't you?
blush.gif

It probably happens at least every 3rd or 4th oil change. I believe it's because I tend to want to over tighten it, and when I spin it off at change time it likes to stick to the filter mount.

Sure enough, I since then ALWAYS remember to visually check and wipe the area down.

Dont wipe it off. That just takes the oil off and makes it more app to stick. Just look at the filter when you take it off. If the ring is there you are good.

I think your assumption is that I wipe everything off and that's it. I always put some oil on the new gasket before spinning the new filter on. It happened to me once, but i swear never again.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back