Royal Purple??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its (RP current API cert oil) measured performance (see Virtus' link right above) is equivalent to the CHEAPEST BUILT store brand synthetics; by ex: Walmart Synthetic blows it out of the water on paper and in use.
I have a jug of "HPS" style RP I took out of my 2.3 Zuki years ago after 1 weeks disappointed use; it's still wasting in an emptied Valvoline gallon jug on my front porch; You are welcome to steal it
smile.gif

The 'proprietary' Synerlec additive loads the oil with a sulfur compound that's is evidenced by simple element analysis.
I would dare say "Used Up" RP will be eating your bearings and etching iron at an alarming rate.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Saying that SynPower and API Royal Purple are virtually the same thing based on a VOA ingredient's list isn't fair to either oil. Most of what goes into an oils formulation goes undetected and is 'proprietary'. The continual perpetuation of this myth is based on seeing only the tip of the iceberg per say.

Comparing oils based on standardized test results/certifications and approvals is one thing, on the ingredients is another.

That is correct. VOAs and UOAs detect only an atom inside a molecule.

The exact additive could be different and still give the same reading in ppm because you only measure one atom in that additive.

I'll give RP one thing. They must have a product placement budget almost as big as Audi's for placing product in movies. And they've been doing it for at least 20 years. That sort of promotion costs mucho bux. Always makes me wonder if the R&D/manufacturing budget goes crying a bit.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Does anybody know what the HTHS is for API Royal Purple 5W30?

Given that it's classified as energy conserving, it's got to be well below 3.5 cP, but other than that I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: swampy_swimmer
Is it really true what they say about it? Is this oil superior to everything on the market including M1 and Amsoil? Have anyone here had really dramatic changes by switching to RP from whatever?

I drive 2002 Toyota 4Runner 6 cylinder. Switch to M1 HM as soon as I bought it on 95K and it's been ok so far, it's 125K now. Recommended weight 5W-30.

What caused you to switch to an HM oil on a Toyota with 95k miles? Does it leak?

I would run a regular name brand synthetic... 0w30 or 5w30

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I'll give RP one thing. They must have a product placement budget almost as big as Audi's for placing product in movies. And they've been doing it for at least 20 years. That sort of promotion costs mucho bux. Always makes me wonder if the R&D/manufacturing budget goes crying a bit.

A great point. I was wondering how RP even gets a reputation of being good stuff? They do sponsor racing events, which plants an image in people's minds, yet are people really that easily fooled? Oh, wait, I think I know the answer to that question: Yes...

Another example: Red Bull has GREAT sponsorships in racing & sports, really the coolest (air races, rally-cross, etc.), and they now have me almost convinced their Red Bull products don't taste like sweat. But they do, and there's no denying it, the worst....

Last edited:
Short answer:

Is it better? I would say absolutely. It is the only oil I use in my escape (except for during the break in period.). It has been the best oil I have ever used. I have seen improvements in fuel economy, engine idle and noise.

Is it just rebranded valvoline? NO. I get really tired of this nonsense rumor floating around.

Is it a boutique oil? No. Just because it is made by a smaller refinery doesn't make it a boutique oil.

What about redline? If you want a true gimmick oil, go for redline. My two cents, YMMV.

Is it expensive? Price is relative. Go to Jegs.com. They have the best price on Royal Purple hands down and they provide free shipping.

Which oil should you use? Go with their HMX line. High mileage oil with synerlec additive technology. Outstanding stuff. Visit their website for more details. Awesome stuff I assure you and their customer service is second to none.

Anything else? Pair it with a RP oil filter. Possibly the best filter on the market. Outstanding efficiency and they are built like tanks. Makes other filters (I.E. Fram ultra) looks like children's play toys. I promise you won't be disappointed! Good luck!

P.S. I will be posting some pictures of a dissected RP filter with 8k miles on it soon. Stay tuned for details!

Last edited:
Anyone know without a doubt if api RP is a group III (as I've read here) or a pao like the Synerlec version was?

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Short answer:

Is it better? I would say absolutely. It is the only oil I use in my escape (except for during the break in period.). It has been the best oil I have ever used. I have seen improvements in fuel economy, engine idle and noise.

How can you say it's better if you haven't ran any other oil in this car? Comparison to oil ran at break-in is not valid. Fuel economy is usually worse during initial break-in.

Q
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Its (RP current API cert oil) measured performance (see Virtus' link right above) is equivalent to the CHEAPEST BUILT store brand synthetics; by ex: Walmart Synthetic blows it out of the water on paper and in use.
I have a jug of "HPS" style RP I took out of my 2.3 Zuki years ago after 1 weeks disappointed use; it's still wasting in an emptied Valvoline gallon jug on my front porch; You are welcome to steal it
smile.gif

The 'proprietary' Synerlec additive loads the oil with a sulfur compound that's is evidenced by simple element analysis.
I would dare say "Used Up" RP will be eating your bearings and etching iron at an alarming rate.

You have no evidence to support any of these absurd claims. Wal mart synthetic does not in any way "blow it out of the water" and it sure as [censored] won't be eating any bearings.

This is a common example of brand bashing based on nothing but the regurgitation of other rumors spread around the Internet. Why don't you try and ADD something productive to this conversation, not bring it down with Internet dribble

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Short answer:

How can you say it's better if you haven't ran any other oil in this car? Comparison to oil ran at break-in is not valid. Fuel economy is usually worse during initial break-in.

Perhaps I should have specified the situation a little better. It is the best oil I have used in multiple vehicles and as such that is why I only use it in my newest vehicle. It isn't the only oil I have ever used. I have tried every oil off the shelf at one time or another, and RP has consistently been the top performer IMO.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Does anybody know what the HTHS is for API Royal Purple 5W30?

Like Quattro Pete said, it will be under 3.5. I'd wager around 3.1, since most ILSAC rated 5w-30s are in that neighborhood, with a couple at 3.0 and 3.2.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Another example: Red Bull has GREAT sponsorships in racing & sports, really the coolest (air races, rally-cross, etc.), and they now have me almost convinced their Red Bull products don't taste like sweat. But they do, and there's no denying it, the worst....

The correct term is "used dishwater."

Originally Posted By: swampy_swimmer
Is it really true what they say about it? Is this oil superior to everything on the market including M1 and Amsoil? Have anyone here had really dramatic changes by switching to RP from whatever?

I drive 2002 Toyota 4Runner 6 cylinder. Switch to M1 HM as soon as I bought it on 95K and it's been ok so far, it's 125K now. Recommended weight 5W-30.

Would RP make a difference? Like changing it once a year, (now I do it twice, I don't drive that much).

Depends on how you define the term "superior".

Will RP make a difference? Short answer is maybe, maybe not. Depending on how much you drive and the ratio of highway versus in city stop-and-go, it is difficult to recommend the best course of action. I am surprised nobody asked what your planned OCI is. This is typical of RP threads where members on this board get too emotionally invested for and against RP.

Need more information from OP.

Glad I broke out my popcorn. The amount of unsubstantiated nonsense in this thread is very entertaining.

i use royal purple in both my vehicles ...and yes i can say it makes a difference. For some reason its the only oil my s13 dont burn and my sentra loves it. I guess both cars love the purple dye LOL

Used valvoline and mobil 1 before, RP was a step up. Dont hate... just my opinion:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back