Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WillB
Now that Royal Purple High Performance oil is dexos certified, gonna give it a try.

Buying it buy the jug it costs no more than any other syn. Is it just as good?

Yes, RP API is very good oil. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
Grape flavored motor oil is my favorite.

My wife tasted the (Very bad) coffee I had just bought, and pronouced that it "Taste like motor oil!" I told her, "No, motor oil is much.....Fruitier!" Lord knows, I have inadvertantly tasted it, often enough.

After discussion, we decided that the coffee actually tasted like a tire store smells.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
RP is too smart to fall for stupid internet stunts.
thumbsup2.gif

Just think of what they missed out on. If I had liked the stuff, they would've had a windfall of free advertising! They missed the chance of a lifetime.

you'd have a rough time convincing most BITOG'ers to use RP anyway lol.

Advertising RP on this forum would be like tinkling in the wind..

Sad but true. I like the stuff I just can't justify 50 dollar jugs in Canada. Not when I find m1/PU/PP/Qsud for under 30 a jug.
I like RP and have 10 quarts left of synerlec Euro 5w-30 and euro 5w-40 that I'm saving for the Chargers next summer oil change.
For me cost is the driving metric and cost alone
When top quality syn's can be had for so little I just cannot convince myself that paying more gets me a better product. Not when the majors all are so close in quality we are splitting hairs.

RP API SN is probably as good as any other OTS synthetic oil.
It probably isn't any better, though.
If you want to try it and the price makes sense, then why not?
If I score some on clearance, I'll try it too.
There are a few self-appointed keepers of the RP faith on this site, and I don't understand the fervor with which they seek to marginalize any poster who questions the excellence of RP.
It's only a motor oil, after all, not a career, a marriage or a religon.

On the contrary, they marginalize us few the proud RP users. The difference is simple, the ones that marginalize us and RP are usually ones who have never used the product and are going by the numbers that are found on paper or found on the internet. I've not only used it but even torn apart 100s of engines run on RP exclusively and can say without a doubt that it's is one of the best if not the best in the business.

Last edited:
Your claim of RP being especially kind to racing engines was bebunked in another thread.
It's likely that I'll use some RP in the near future, since Walmart is sportingly offering it for the same price on clearance as the long discontinued G-Oil and RP is an itch I'd like to scratch. If it's all that you and some of the others claim it to be, I'll be sure to post my experiences here. Actually, I'll post what I observe either way. I'd expect it to be a good and serviceable oil. I don't expect it to do anyhting extraordinary. No oil does.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've run many engines for many miles on all sorts of oils and never had a problem with any of them, including those run on nothing more than the cheapest API spec 10W-40 conventional I could find way back in the eighties.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd expect it to be a good and serviceable oil. I don't expect it to do anything extraordinary. No oil does.

This is the most accurate statement that sums up RP.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd expect it to be a good and serviceable oil. I don't expect it to do anything extraordinary. No oil does.

This is the most accurate statement that sums up RP.

It's probably the most accurate statement one could make for any motor oil.
No mere oil will change an engine's life.

What is Synerlec, and why should I want it?
People talk about that stuff like it does something. What does it do that Pennz, M1, QuakerState, Valvoline, and Castrol aren't doing?
From RP's website, they could be describing some kind of Ester:

SYNERLEC®
Royal Purple’s proprietary, Synerlec additive lubricant technology is the cornerstone of the product line. Synerlec creates an ionic bond that adheres to metal parts to provide continuous protection even at start-up. This ionic bond keeps a lubricating film on the surface of metal long after ordinary lubricants would have been squeezed out by pressure and heat. Additionally, Synerlec-enhanced lubricants actually improve metal surfaces by responding to increased pressure with increased viscosity until the metal peaks (asperities) undergo deformation and flow into the low spots. Over time, the metal surface becomes extremely smooth and can even develop a mirror-like surface. Synerlec also increases the useful life of the oil with it oxidation resistance.

Now that Royal Purple High Performance oil is dexos certified, gonna give it a try.

Supertech synthetic is also Dexos certified and worth the consideration. It is all about personal preference. If spending $30-$35 on jug of oil that only meets API SN specs sounds like a good deal, then go for it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If spending $30-$35 on jug of oil that only meets API SN specs sounds like a good deal, then go for it.

That sums up the argument both for an against RP in a nutshell. If RP was going for $30 to $35 a jug up here, it would be the number one selling synthetic in Canada by a long shot. However, it isn't priced that way here, and is between M1 and M1 EP in pricing, which is fair, given that they warranty it for 12,500 miles.

If I wanted an SN/GF-5 synthetic at a decent price without chasing sales (i.e. going to one of my suppliers instead of waiting for rollbacks), RP is difficult to beat. If I want to get the best rollback that Walmart or Canadian Tire have to offer, well, it won't be RP, since the sales on RP are usually 15%, versus the up to 40% we see on other varieties. That also speaks to Walmart Canada's and CT's pricing philosophy. They obviously cannot mark the product up 100% like they do with other oils, or it would never leave the shelf in the first place.

Supertech synthetic is also Dexos certified and worth the consideration. It is all about personal preference. If spending $30-$35 on jug of oil that only meets API SN specs sounds like a good deal, then go for it.

I can not find Supertech on the Dexos license page. Are you sure?

I was mistaken. I guess I got it confused for Super S? I have no idea..

On a side note, look how many other house brand synthetics are on the approval. Meijer, Oreilly, AAP, Autozone. I was always under the impression Autozones and Meijer oil was identical to ST.

Supertech isn't on the official dexos1 list: http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands
Maybe they meet it, maybe they don't, who knows?

GM must be getting rich off all the ransom they charge for all the officially licensed dexos1 products. The list is huge now!!!! Remember, dexos1 is just a minimum set of performance tests, not an actual elixir of any kind, so GM has found a racket. Many people in the general public think dexos1 is a specific oil brand-forumulation, its not. Not sure how much $$$ GM gets off each quart, I thought I once heard around a nickel per quart. Smart business I guess, kind of onerous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
When my unicorn needs an enema....I go straight for the RP.

Does he cry much when you have to do that?

Maybe you can sell the tears back to RP.
smile.gif

It's like recycling in a fashion.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2204348

Some people want to hate it for the sake of hating it;

Maybe not the best value, but it certainly is up to the task.

I could not agree more. People have to hate it, perhaps because many cant stomach the fact that it is not a "boutique oil" but a superior grade oil that outperforms others "off the shelf."

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: gman2304
When my unicorn needs an enema....I go straight for the RP.

Does he cry much when you have to do that?

Maybe you can sell the tears back to RP.
smile.gif

It's like recycling in a fashion.

Silver Im dissapointed in you! You know RP is an oil that outperforms the rest, your just trying to stir the pot arent you!!!
grin.gif

My unicorn occassionally gets that 'not so fresh feeling' and says the Synerlec gives him that 'grapey' bouquet fragrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back