royal purple xpr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering why rp xpr is not api certified, does it cause more wear? I would like to use it in my 1981 240 turbo but what are the benifits vs amsoil, redline, or regular royal purple? what are the positives and negatives to running xpr is there better performance/protection, but shorter oci? please explain I've been wanting to know for a while?

XPR is marketed as a racing oil. As such it would be good for extreme use but not so good at regular daily/long OCI use. Why would you want to use it in a 1981 Volvo? In order to get the API it has to have the right specs. I bet the ZDDP is too high in it to allow the API cert. This is good for antiwear protection but suppose to be bad for the Cat. (But I don't think your car has a Cat anyway)

The benefit of it is wear protection in extreme conditions. Negatives would be cost and not being a long OCI oil.

I would say the regular RP would be a good choice for you if that is what you want to run.

But Amsoil, Redline or Mobil 1 would be great choices also.

**Pennzoil Platinum is rated for turbo apps, gets great UOA's and is reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I'm confused. I though you wanted a conventional oil for your 24XTic?

I used Amsoil in my 1985 245Tic with upped boost and many mods. I drove it hard. Sold it with 285,000 miles in 2006 and it's still going. I did 10K mile oil changes.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
XPR is marketed as a racing oil. As such it would be good for extreme use but not so good at regular daily/long OCI use.

Actually, per RP it is very good for regular street use with long OCI usage. The only thing is it is overkill for normal street use and the price don't really justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back