Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
But they weren't driven in a similar fashion. The OP said the M1 cam saw redline a lot more.

True, but you're only at redline for a very brief period of time, I doubt he drove around with it pegged there.

Last edited:
Well, okay. Let's start over.

We have two cams, each using a different oil. One is scored, the other is not.

There are several possible reasons why one cam would be scored and not the other:

1. Mileage
2. Materials differences in the cams
3. Oil
4. Driving style
5. Break-in

We can rule out #1 since the mileage difference points in the opposite direction. We can rule out #2 because it is highly unlikely. But to blame the oil, we still have to rule out the other two possibilities (#4 and #5).

We know the cars were not driven the same, so we can't rule out #4. Since neither car saw proper warm-ups, it's also possible that the differences in driving styles were magnified.

We also have no idea if the engine with the scored cam was properly broken in, so we can't rule out #5.

So, in a nutshell: could it be the oil? Sure. Or it could be the result of a difference in driving style. Or it could be improper break-in. We can speculate all we want, but unless we can rule out all other factors -- which we already know we can't -- then we can't blame the oil.

we can't blame the oil.

That's true, not with 100% certainty. But when you also take into the account the ton of M1 UOA's with high iron content and the claims being made by Castrol and Valvoline, for me it gets hard to believe it's not the oil.

wow,another thread trashed full of bickering
23.gif

But they weren't driven in a similar fashion. The OP said the M1 cam saw redline a lot more.

Yeah and also I believe he said M1 Cam was driven in Winter commutes. What I would ask, is there really more wear on the other cam? I mean a little discoloration doesn't tell you much of anything. Is there actually a rough surface wear and is there really any wear as measured with a micrometer? When I quickly looked at the cam it didn't really appear to be actually worn.

I was not able to pick up the Micrometer, He went to the track today and took his tool box with him. I will get it lator when he returns. I was able to go and pick up a Cam from his house.

I had his Mileage wrong, he had about 40,000 miles when the Cams were pulled. He does not drive as hard on the street as I do, only at the track. I driver alot harder on the street.

PDRM1921.jpg

PDRM1922.jpg

PDRM1923.jpg

PDRM1924.jpg

The Cam Journals on th etop one has noticable scratches that can be felt, the cam lobes also can be felt
I used a copper penny and could feel rough groves.

Last edited:
Overkill,

That oil that was used in that foxbody car was Mobil 1 synthetic btw.

He's since switched to rotella and has no intention on using mobil 1 again FWIW.

2k05gt

Thanks for posting pics! In this case,I'd be glad I was running the royal purple oil,period. I'm not impressed by mobil 1 synthetic at all.

Whether M1 was at fault or not can be debated, but you have to give RP props for keeping the cams very clean and free of scratches.

I didn't catch that the 40k mile cams were from an '07 and the 70k mile cams were from an '05. Could anyone confirm that there were no changes made to the engine between those years?

Any word on whether break-in procedures were properly observed on both cars?

Also...

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
The Cam Journals on th etop one has noticable scratches that can be felt, the cam lobes also can be felt

Does anyone else think something is amiss here? I can't help but feel like an oil that meets factory spec shouldn't be doing this in 40k miles unless something is very wrong.

I`d like to see a cam of a similar car,same mileage and driving habits,with a good dino like Pennzoil yb :^)

Thanks 2k05gt. Although we can question M1, RP performed exceptionally well! I've read that they use an extreme pressure additive in their oil that creates a mirror-like shine on the parts.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Overkill,

That oil that was used in that foxbody car was Mobil 1 synthetic btw.

Do you happen to know what weight?

Quote:
He's since switched to rotella and has no intention on using mobil 1 again FWIW.

Rotella is a good choice. A lot of guys run it.

Quote:
2k05gt

Thanks for posting pics! In this case,I'd be glad I was running the royal purple oil,period. I'm not impressed by mobil 1 synthetic at all.

I definitely agree that the RP cam looks WAY better.

I was not able to pick up the Micrometer, He went to the track today and took his tool box with him. I will get it lator when he returns. I was able to go and pick up a Cam from his house.

I had his Mileage wrong, he had about 40,000 miles when the Cams were pulled. He does not drive as hard on the street as I do, only at the track. I driver alot harder on the street.

Thanks for the pics, pretty significant difference there. But even with M1 the cams would probably outlast the rest of the engine.

Still, the less wear the better in my book. I wonder if there is any corollary wear to go along with the cams? Is it a M1 problem or an SM/GF-4 problem? I'm leaning towards the latter.

I didn't catch that the 40k mile cams were from an '07 and the 70k mile cams were from an '05. Could anyone confirm that there were no changes made to the engine between those years?

Any word on whether break-in procedures were properly observed on both cars?

As far as I know, the CAMS are the same for all 3 valve 4.6L from 2005-2010 the Part numbers are the same for those years and only some Body stiffing and engine cooling lines were changed to make room for the GT500 5.4L 4 Valve to sit in the engine bay in 07.

I don't think any break-in procedures were followed on either car...
Like I said, I drove the Car around Ft Lauderdale in June-July 05 when I bought it, I then drove the 1000 miles to the DC Area and drove it a few weeks in commuter traffic before changing to RP 5W30. (At about 3000 miles.

The 07 was bought in the DC Area, new with a mix of City / Highway Traffic, He said he was easy on the car for the most part. had a dealer changing the Oil for about 3 changes (Motorcraft 5w20 free with purchase of car) every 3000 miles (total 9000) then did the changes himself with M1 5w20.

2k05gt

I just wonder if I would have done any better with Redline or Amsoil. They are supposed to be better.
What made me concerned was reading the Amsoil sellers Site that said RP clogged up the engine with it's Moly additive.

Thats why I started to investigate and found myself here.

Last edited:
10w30

That may be the only M1 weight I haven't run in one of mine. I ran 0w20, 5w30, 5w40, 0w40, 5w50 and 15w50 at different times.

I just wonder if I would have done any better with Redline or Amsoil. They are supposed to be better.
What made me concerned was reading the Amsoil sellers Site that said RP clogged up the engine with it's Moly additive.

Thats why I started to investigate and found myself here.

You seem to have done VERY well with the method you have used. I'd stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back