Royal Purple HPS vs Redline Synthetic Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.
smirk.gif

Here we go with yet another RP thread down the toilet because the same group of detractors can't stand that some people actually like it and use it. As usual they get insulting with the users of RP that post positively about it and then get offended, and act all innocent, when those folks fire back after being talked down to and ridiculed. Typical of the anti RP folks here at BITOG. It is only ok to trash RP not praise it. Praise means you must be taken down ASAP.

Just a shame that on an oil site you can't talk about a brand of oil without being ridiculed. What makes it almost comical is that overwhelmingly the detractors haven't even used RP or have minimal experience with it at best yet they feel confident telling people with extensive use experience( like myself )that we are wrong and don't know what we are talking about. Just makes you laugh. What is even more comical is the way the detractors claim everyone who posts positive about RP must somehow be on their payroll. That is a line I see thrown out a lot. Very infantile.

I actually have just about given up trying to answer people's legit questions on RP because I am tired of being called a fanboy and having to read all the [censored] about it being Unicorn Tears, overpriced, etc... Gets old real fast and I have better things to do with my life than argue over and over with the likes of these known RP bashers at BITOG. They may not have a life but I do. It is ALWAYS the same handful of members that do it as well even though they claim they have no bias.

One day I just know an RP thread will be started and it will run it's course with a civil discussion and the usual RP bashing culprits( who add NOTHING to an RP thread but strife and discord )will take the day off. If the usual anti RP bashers do try and start in with all the insults and typical foolishness they bring the Mod's will actually step in and stop it like they should so the thread can be productive. When it does happen though, and someday it surely will, Hades will freeze over, pigs will fly, and politicians will become honest.

And yes, I know this adds nothing constructive to the thread. But hey, 99% of the posts in RP threads don't do that thanks to the detractors anyway so what is one more useless post right.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I never thought I would start a little war when I posted a question?

You didn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately, as I talk of above, there is a faction on this site who have made it their mission in life to ruin every RP thread that comes up, insult and belittle the pro RP users, and to try and dissuade everyone they can from using RP products. It has been going on since I 1st joined this site years ago.

It is just how things go on this site when RP is discussed. Bringing up RP on BITOG is akin to a Jewish person walking into a Mosque. It isn't going to end well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Wow.
smirk.gif

Here we go with yet another RP thread down the toilet because the same group of detractors can't stand that some people actually like it and use it. As usual they get insulting with the users of RP that post positively about it and then get offended, and act all innocent, when those folks fire back after being talked down to and ridiculed. Typical of the anti RP folks here at BITOG. It is only ok to trash RP not praise it. Praise means you must be taken down ASAP.

Just a shame that on an oil site you can't talk about a brand of oil without being ridiculed. What makes it almost comical is that overwhelmingly the detractors haven't even used RP or have minimal experience with it at best yet they feel confident telling people with extensive use experience( like myself )that we are wrong and don't know what we are talking about. Just makes you laugh. What is even more comical is the way the detractors claim everyone who posts positive about RP must somehow be on their payroll. That is a line I see thrown out a lot. Very infantile.

I actually have just about given up trying to answer people's legit questions on RP because I am tired of being called a fanboy and having to read all the [censored] about it being Unicorn Tears, overpriced, etc... Gets old real fast and I have better things to do with my life than argue over and over with the likes of these known RP bashers at BITOG. They may not have a life but I do. It is ALWAYS the same handful of members that do it as well even though they claim they have no bias.

One day I just know an RP thread will be started and it will run it's course with a civil discussion and the usual RP bashing culprits( who add NOTHING to an RP thread but strife and discord )will take the day off. If the usual anti RP bashers do try and start in with all the insults and typical foolishness they bring the Mod's will actually step in and stop it like they should so the thread can be productive. When it does happen though, and someday it surely will, Hades will freeze over, pigs will fly, and politicians will become honest.

And yes, I know this adds nothing constructive to the thread. But hey, 99% of the posts in RP threads don't do that thanks to the detractors anyway so what is one more useless post right.

I agree
wink.gif

01.gif

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Wow.
smirk.gif

I agree
wink.gif

I completely disagree. These threads are almost never about technical data being presented and discussed, they are about the credibility and intellectual integrity of posts (and posters) making unsubstantiated and meaningless statements that are unsupported by any technical data whatsoever.

Sure it does drift off into the marketing practices of RP sometimes, but the majority of the ridicule is towards individuals. NHHEMI does try and present factual evidence but he's about the only one. The rest drone on about a 5 HP increase on the dyno or some such nonsense.

The whole argument that only people who have used it can comment is ridiculous. What are you supposed to glean from them? That "my engine loved it and your engine will too"? Or that "I've torn down myriads of engines run on RP and they are pristine"? Really? Just what sort of concrete, technical information are users or RP supposed to present and we are supposed to accept? Engine quietness? What?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I completely disagree...

Anyone who would take the time to read the posts here can tell it's a polarizing subject. But the ridiculous hyperbole without substance is never readily accepted here. When someone completely insults our intelligence with ridiculous claims we tend to react. That should not be a big surprise (see above).

RP remains a fine oil in a sea of many fine choices, we all get to choose. The fact that we express our feelings about those choices seems to be at the heart of why these forums even exist...

NHHEMI does try and present factual evidence but he's about the only one. The rest drone on about a 5 HP increase on the dyno or some such nonsense.

Hey, now, I'm a Royal Purple fan, too.
wink.gif
I always state use it if you like it, and there are times it can be cost effective, particularly up here. I just don't think a $400 to $500 vehicle needs RP HPS, RP Racing, or Red Line.
wink.gif

Then again, I have RP 0w-40 in my snowblower, so I'm one to talk. Well, it was a leftover quart.

With all due respect my truck is not a $400 - $500 truck. These little trucks like mine are worth around $2,000.00 . My truck looks really good cosmetically because I use it as a work truck,going in and out of residential neighborhoods caring for people's yards. The miles are really high because the guy who owned it before before me drove almost a 3 hour round trip to and from work on a daily basis.

Originally Posted By: Garak
NHHEMI does try and present factual evidence but he's about the only one. The rest drone on about a 5 HP increase on the dyno or some such nonsense.

Hey, now, I'm a Royal Purple fan, too.
wink.gif
I always state use it if you like it, and there are times it can be cost effective, particularly up here. I just don't think a $400 to $500 vehicle needs RP HPS, RP Racing, or Red Line.
wink.gif

Then again, I have RP 0w-40 in my snowblower, so I'm one to talk. Well, it was a leftover quart.

I wasn't trying to offend you; I was just making a slightly exaggerated point. Realistically, there are no $500 trucks here in running order. They are worth more, obviously.

Look at it from my perspective with my old F-150, which isn't exactly a new Cadillac in comparison to your truck, either. It's got a rebuilt engine, and I'd "like" a little more ZDDP, I am a RP fan, and I get RP at a decent price. Yet, I'd be a little reluctant to run something as costly as 5w-30 HPS in it. It is mighty tempting, being a great year round choice with high ZDDP, and in a vehicle that doesn't leak oil any longer, but, it's not cheap.

With those thoughts in mind, I've got some Defy on the shelf waiting to go in it for the next couple OCIs. It'll do the trick, I'm sure. No, it doesn't have the base stocks or ZDDP levels of RP HPS. I'm not convinced that I really "need" all that extra stuff, though.

RP does have a certain target market, and I bet that target market (myself included) would be very happy to see a high ZDDP conventional 5w-30 that's a tad thicker than ILSAC limitations. They'd have little competition, since VR-1 stops at 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I completely disagree...

Anyone who would take the time to read the posts here can tell it's a polarizing subject. But the ridiculous hyperbole without substance is never readily accepted here. When someone completely insults our intelligence with ridiculous claims we tend to react. That should not be a big surprise (see above).

RP remains a fine oil in a sea of many fine choices, we all get to choose. The fact that we express our feelings about those choices seems to be at the heart of why these forums even exist...

I agree with you Steve. And I like rp. I don't trash the product as a whole,only the cost.
I've said many times the automotive 20w-50 was the best oil I ever ran in my harley,and I've still got 15 quarts of the stuff in the euro with synerlec flavour.
I just don't know why a low tech,low hp,light valve spring engine needs some kind of super oil like rp.
I've bern involved in various engine upgrades on engines that used rp,mostly track driven and not once have I seen anything out of the ordinary upon removal of the cam,nor any unusual wear for the hard ridden miles.
So the stuff does what it's supposed to do,just costs more to fo it.
Again. If I had track dedicated vehicles I'm sure I'd buy cases of the stuff however my vehicles are daily drivers and knowing what I know I'm not going to pay more for equal performance under my driving conditions

I have been to the Mobil 1 website,and the Castrol website. Both sites say that I should be using 5w-30. I just did an oil change at walmart about 3 weeks ago,and I had them put 10w 30 Mobil 1 HM.. Do you think it would be ok,and also be wise to use 10w 40 ,or 5w 40 ?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Which of these 2 oils have better film strength under severe driving conditions?

Given that your original question was about film strength, and RP/Redline, that's a property that is usually a sideshow to the actual performance in an engine.

You've got M1 10W30, which is appropriate from a "W" perspective to your location. No probs there.

It's also "thick" in High temperature high shear conditions, which I think correlates to your original question. HTHS at 3.5 would have many pundits calling it "really a 40", which it isn't.

It's got SL levels of antiwear adds...you are fine running it full OCI.

Use it for

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: LX289
Redline. Has bigger oil molecules

Please explain where we can find this information.

Thanks.

I found this in the Duramax forums.
An oils viscosity will decrease as the engine temperature rises. Viscosity Index Improvers are added to reduce this thinning. They are a key additive in the production of multigrade oils. VI Improvers are heat sensitive long chain, high molecular weight polymers that increase the relative viscosity of the oil at high temperatures. They work like springs, coiled at low temperatures and uncoiling at high temperatures. This makes the molecules larger (at high temps) which increases internal resistance within the thinning oil. They in effect "fight back" against the viscosity loss in the oil.

here's the link.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/general-discussion/122635-redline-diesel-motor-oil-6.html

More info i found.
Amsoil started out using diesters, but changed in the mid 80's to a blend of several synthetic
base stocks with PAO being the main ingredient Red Line uses Polyol ester base stocks which are modified to
improve thermal stability and performance.
Bigger molecules should hold up to the heat that is why redline is good in a high temp application.

Found this on Redline's website for a 20w-50 oil.
High natural viscosity index (VI) provides thicker oil film in bearings and cams.
How can you have a thicker oil film. I would say bigger molecules.

Originally Posted By: Gearhead1194
And your uoa looks amazing with that car. Don't understand why people can't except that an oil is good.

Amen brother!

Originally Posted By: Gearhead1194
Have you ran anything else in the Audi besides that?

I had a free complimentary service at 5000 miles and the dealer used Castrol Edge 5w40. Other than that it's been RP 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back