Router Uses..

Status
Not open for further replies.
While visiting my sister during the holidays I got to talking with my Bro in law about Wifi...Tv... Internet etc. Next thing I know... he gives me a Router. Then he E-mails me a YouTube video on "How to hook it up to a cable modem". The problem is...I don't know what he had in mind and I didn't ask. I've always had cable Tv and Internet and don't know anything about Wifi but I'm thinking the router has to do with the Tv. And I feel stupid asking him why he gave me the router. Any ideas?

It's possible your cable modem has built in wifi. Though the router could be better, you'd do well to figure it out before you go online with it so you don't open security holes.

DO you own a laptop with WiFi, if frees you from wires but WiFI has security "issues" which must be addressed so that, among other things, your WiFi doesn't get used by the rest of the neighborhood. I wouldn't tinker with it until you understand it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are you having some internet issue that you are trying to solve? If not, then leave it alone.

No internet issue...I think the router is for the Tv. Maybe Netflix etc. Sound right?

Warstud, I think you are about MY level when it comes to computers and such, ie. about 7 years behind!

We have a small box from Apple that connects between our router and the TV, it allows use to access Netflix, Youtube, rent movies etc. Via the internet.

I wonder if this is what you have.

With ours, it was initially installed wirelessly, however, the downloads were very slow, requiring somthing like 1/2 a hour before we could watch a movie.
The answer was a hard wire connection between our router and Apple box.

Hope this helps.

I like running my own personal cable modem and router so the cable company can't snoop inside my home network. At least not easily.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

No internet issue...I think the router is for the Tv. Maybe Netflix etc. Sound right?

Do you currently have wifi at home? If not, a wireless router will allow you to have it.

If your TV has a wifi adapter, then it will also be able to connect to the internet through a wireless router.

Do you currently have wifi at home? If not, a wireless router will allow you to have it.

If your TV has a wifi adapter, then it will also be able to connect to the internet through a wireless router.

No Wifi...no experience using it...always used cable. I have an older LCD Tv so I'm not sure if it has an adapter. Is that on smart Tv's only?

While visiting my sister during the holidays I got to talking with my Bro in law about Wifi...Tv... Internet etc. Next thing I know... he gives me a Router. Then he E-mails me a YouTube video on "How to hook it up to a cable modem". The problem is...I don't know what he had in mind and I didn't ask. I've always had cable Tv and Internet and don't know anything about Wifi but I'm thinking the router has to do with the Tv. And I feel stupid asking him why he gave me the router. Any ideas?

Ask him, or better yet, ask him to come over to your place and set it up. No security worries, you get whatever advantage or feature he feels you need or could benefit from, and you don't have to learn anything you don't need to learn.

I guarantee he's already figured out that you know nothing of this stuff. You will not be revealing anything he doesn't know by asking him to help.

Remember ... there are no dumb questions. Ever.

Do you have a smartphone? If yes you can get internet on it via wifi instead of using data allowance if you have a wifi router.

Yes, smart tv.

What exactly is a "Smart" TV ?

Ours has jacks for HDMI cables and USB ports, does that make it smart?

It seems we need a Cable box to see TV channels and a box to see internet video.
the sound quality is garbage and basicly the TV shows buggerall unless we pay for othere services. Doesn't seem too smart to me!

Heck, I was happier 40 years ago with 3 channels and some decent programs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Yes, smart tv.

A smart tv is able to connect to the internet and can stream video through various built-in apps such as netflix, youtube, etc.

Originally Posted By: expat
Yes, smart tv.

It seems we need a Cable box to see TV channels and a box to see internet video.
the sound quality is garbage and basicly the TV shows buggerall unless we pay for othere services. Doesn't seem too smart to me!

Heck, I was happier 40 years ago with 3 channels and some decent programs.
You can use an adapter such as a Chromecast or Roku to stream internet video, such as Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. There's a lot more available than what is on the average cable system.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Warstud said:
While visiting my sister during the holidays I got to talking with my Bro in law about Wifi...Tv... Internet etc. Next thing I know... he gives me a Router. Then he E-mails me a YouTube video on "How to hook it up to a cable modem". The problem is...I don't know what he had in mind and I didn't ask. I've always had cable Tv and Internet and don't know anything about Wifi but I'm thinking the router has to do with the Tv. And I feel stupid asking him why he gave me the router. Any ideas? [/quote

Ask him, or better yet, ask him to come over to your place and set it up. No security worries, you get whatever advantage or feature he feels you need or could benefit from, and you don't have to learn anything you don't need to learn.

I guarantee he's already figured out that you know nothing of this stuff. You will not be revealing anything he doesn't know by asking him to help.

Remember ... there are no dumb questions. Ever.
No security worries? ROFL

Last edited:
What brand/model router did he give you? Newer routers come pre-configured with security set up out of the box, older ones you have to set it up yourself. If the security is pre-configured, you can hook up the router to use in the future. If it's an older router that doesn't have security pre-configured, that would give anyone access to your internet connection, so I wouldn't hook it up without configuring the security.

If you have a smartphone, you can connect your phone to the router to save data as madRiver said. As bullwinkle said, you can also connect something like a chromecast, roku, or amazon fire tv device to your tv, and get more shows/movies/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back