Video Signal and HDMI extender

Our NSA2600 just went EOL and we can't even renew services like the CGSS or other non-cloud based licenses anymore.....not to mention we've never been able to get more than 3-5Mbps over VPN.
NetExtender is straight trash!

Reactions: Pew
If the cam is a pro model does it have native SDI out? I do lots of Church AV and over the years I would say 9 out of 10 service calls somehow can be traced back to something HDMI. I hate HDMI for anything pro but I get it...
Most Church PTZ cams I do now I run a NDI network via cat6 and I am changing to shielded cat6 and may go cat7 soon for all my AV stuff moving forward. I always prefer SDI as its EZ to pull but what you are using should work.
Do you have a problem with the the cam / line now except not testing 1000? Not sute you need to test 1000 for one cam . Yes you can use the SDI to cat6 or 5E but are you getting a bad picture or something?
One suggestion is if you buy HDMI or SDI over cat 5/6 Balun I would stay away from the consumer / lower price models you may find on Ama*** buy from a pro AV supply place.

If the cam is a pro model does it have native SDI out? I do lots of Church AV and over the years I would say 9 out of 10 service calls somehow can be traced back to something HDMI. I hate HDMI for anything pro but I get it...
Most Church PTZ cams I do now I run a NDI network via cat6 and I am changing to shielded cat6 and may go cat7 soon for all my AV stuff moving forward. I always prefer SDI as its EZ to pull but what you are using should work.
Do you have a problem with the the cam / line now except not testing 1000? Not sute you need to test 1000 for one cam . Yes you can use the SDI to cat6 or 5E but are you getting a bad picture or something?
One suggestion is if you buy HDMI or SDI over cat 5/6 Balun I would stay away from the consumer / lower price models you may find on Ama*** buy from a pro AV supply place.
The church had SDI run and I am told no more issues. They had the camera drop a few times with the HDMI extenders over the CAT5E.

But I think you also said I should look at the camera and see if it has a SDI output in addition to HDMI. The other end of the SDI cable at the production booth goes into a video switcher that allows the director to switch between one of 4 cameras. But I think it's a HDMI video switcher. Wonder if they make SDI video switcher? Or convert to SDI just before the video switcher?

Yes,
I know black magic makes a $65 SDI in to HDMI box. Yes you can buy SDI switchers and most pro cams will have a SDI out but many average Church grade cams do not or may have both SDI and HDMI However, I have seen it get complicated as I remember my buddy doing an install and the Black Magic SDI box feeding I think a Roland switcher could not get the frame rates to be compatible but I can't remember exactly what the issue was, Aso with SDI cable you have different grades from SD-SDI, HD-SDI, 3GSDI , 6G, 12G

With HDMI I have seen something that should be so simple cause so many problems.
IMO, HDMI is fantastic going from say a home Blu-ray player to the one big TV with a 5' run and perhaps to a stereo or sound bar but when you start asking HDMI to do much than that it may work 100% or may go out or in and out for no reason.

It's my opinion HDMI was invented for one purpose. To replace the old red green and blue RCA video cables ( those cables had the same great picture ) and the red and white RCA audio cables and include all in one CONSUMER GRADE cable that the units you plug onto each end talk to each other to prevent illegal copying of Hollywood movies.

Then the Churches started using HDMI projectors and next thing you know entire streaming video systems were designed with a mix of CONSUMER GRADE video items but IMO HDMI can be problematic, especially Ama*** grade HDMI splitters. Baluns and such, I have seen many low cost China grade HDMI boxes last one year and just stop passing video.

However, I don't live in a perfect world so sadly lots of HDMI's are in it and I do run across situations like you have had.
I look at it this way... You wont find much if anything HDMI at your local PROFESSIONAL TV studio except the TV in the break room may have an unused HDMI port.

However when I so work with HDMI I have found in general most HDMI issues can be resolved by simply using the more $$$ HDMI devices from a pro AV supply. One thing I look for and have noticed, I have better luck with a HDMI box, splitter, converter, etc thats metal and not plastic. IF metal, it MAY last more than a year.

If your Church is now also using 3 other cams via HDMI and a Switcher using HDMI, you may just do best to roll with what you got and when you upgrade the entire system perhaps consider either a NDI networked video streaming system like I now use or design and install a known compatible turn-key streaming system via SDI,

Back