router speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: brianl703
Some routers are [censored] and WILL slow down the connection. I replaced my router with a Linux box and got about twice the speed.

Quote:
DSL doesn't slow down like cable

Because there's a dedicated connection back to the CO for every house, right?

What do you suppose happens at the CO...? All those connections are aggregated into one, and that's where the slowdown can and does occur.

Most $80+ router can handle 10Mb/s easily, good enough for home use.

Cable has a high bandwidth pipe across the entire neighborhood. A neighbor running 10 download at once will slow the whole neighborhood down (don't laugh, I used to do that in college). So in some college towns, it is a no-no to use cable. DSL choke the bandwidth hogs by limiting them to the speed they buy, rather than having them slow the entire pipe down.

If it is really your son, you can get a router that support DDWRT or other open source firmware that has bandwidth control, or ask him to reduce his download to a certain limit in the download software(I set mine to 80kb/s down and 15kb/s up total).

i think that that is the main cause Panda, the cable co. has promised more "stuff" to handle the community for a while...now i wonder if they got the money??
What is DDWRT and cost?

Quote:
What is DDWRT and cost?

DD-WRT is an alternate firmware that you can install on a wide variety of consumer routers, providing some advanced features relative to the stock firmware found on most cheaper units. It is Linux-based and free.

http://www.dd-wrt.com

My router's standard firmware, for example, did *not* have a static IP list, a Quality Of Service table or Dynamic DNS functions.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
DSL choke the bandwidth hogs by limiting them to the speed they buy, rather than having them slow the entire pipe down.

Cable does the same thing, at least these days. The CMTS can control how much bandwidth each user gets and can prevent one user from hogging all the bandwidth.

Gone are the days when cable upload and download rates were "unlimited".

BTW, I've downloaded a 30 megabyte file in 25 seconds. A router with a 10megabit WAN port would have made that transfer take about 30 seconds, so I'm clearly getting a benefit from my Linux box having a 100megabit WAN port (and better management, and a larger NAT table, and more stability, and more flexible firewall and routing functionality, just to name a few).

Many of them use the same Ethernet interface for the WAN and LAN interface, using a switch and VLANs to separate them. The wireless traffic that is bridged to the wired ethernet also goes over the same interface:

WRT54_sw2_internal_architecture.png

Many of them use the same Ethernet interface for the WAN and LAN interface, using a switch and VLANs to separate them. The wireless traffic that is bridged to the wired ethernet also goes over the same interface:

WRT54_sw2_internal_architecture.png

Doesn't make it a 10Mbit interface though
wink.gif

It's more like a 50mbit interface with the duplicate traffic to/from the interface.

I'd like to see the internal architecture of the Actiontec router that Verizon uses for FIOS.

It's more like a 50mbit interface with the duplicate traffic to/from the interface.

I'd like to see the internal architecture of the Actiontec router that Verizon uses for FIOS.

Indeed, that would be interesting. My Cisco stuff is quite sassy, so it would be neat to see how it compares in design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back