Rotella T5 Syntheric blend at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart tonight and they had a new oil I have never seen. Rotella t5 Synthetic blend 10w30.
I don't know how long this has been available, but it's the first time I've ever seen it. I might give it a try in my 93 Chevy 1500. It cost about $16 for a 4 quart jug.

It's got some pretty good cold weather numbers for an HDEO 10w30. This is an oil I would run 9 months out of the year up here.

I just started using this oil in my '04 6.0 powerstroke F250, engine is so snooth, quiter, and quick cold starts. I was comparing this oil with Amsoil 10w30 ACD diesel oil...seems like for the price of $16/gallon, the T5 may be a better value. And just maybe the T5 has quite a bit of PAO considering it has a -42 pour point which is greater that the AMsoil's -39 and it is 100% PAO...how is that?? The T5 appears to be just as robust as the Amsoil 10w30 ACD?? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Correct me if I am out of line....TBN = 10

Now I would know from being here long enough there is more to fluid life than TBN alone. Other chemistries can in purpose compensate for the lubricant engineers objectives.

Is this a low number? Perhaps I am confusing synthetics here but for HDEO's TBN 12-16 seem to be the range.

I am really interested in Rotella 10W30 ... but they made it a 4qt jug again. So far the only 5qt jugs is Motorcraft 15W40. Walmart needs to get SOPUS to make Rotella 5W40 and 10W30 into 5qts jugs then we can really rock and roll.

TBN's of 12-16 went out with the CJ-4 oil specs. Most are in the 8.5-10.5 range. There are still a few 12-14 TBN oils being made but it is not needed with todays ULS fuels.

Ok, interesting point Johnny. At first I was thinking that the Amsoil 10w30 ACD was clearly a better product with a TBN of 12 and being a 100% synthetic, seems like it's not necessarily the case. I guess, I just want the best for my 6.0 powerstroke since its paid off and I have no plans of buying a new Ford Diesel anytime soon. Think I'll stick with the Shell T5 product. My OCI are 5,000 miles... So T5 over Amsoil ACD?

Anyone interested I posted a virgin analysis of the T5 as well as standard 10w30 Rotella. Take a look in the virgin analysis forum. TBN tested 9.6 on the new T5

On paper, the Amsoil 10w30 ACD seems to be a much better oil than the Shell T5...I'll try the Amsoil on my next oil change...great input here..

i just picked up 15 gallons of the deere plus 50 10w-30 (ci-4plus) for 10.50 a gallon for my 6.0.

cold starts are just as good as the 5w-40 for a fraction of the cost

Thanks guys, I may put this in the turbo miata track car and do a UOI very soon. Should I stick with the synthetic rotella in the blue bottle or try out this synthetic blend?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
The synthetic blend T5 is gonna be a thinner oil, better perofrmance than the 5w40 in the blue bottle (T6)

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back