Rotella T5 or T6 for my 1997 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a result from a recent accident, my DD is down for awhile until further notice. It is a 2004 Tacoma and I'm more than upset about it being down. The only other option I have for getting to work and doing other odds and ends is my 7.3 Powerstroke. Truck's only ever been used for hauling trash, towing cars around, and occasionally hauling the wife and I's quads out to the mountains for a weekend getaway. Other than that it sits most the time. It currently has 184k miles and as far as I know has been fed nothing but conventional 15w40 it's whole life. It's approaching it's next oil change and I've decided I want to give it something better this time around since it will be getting driven for awhile. Been running Rotella T 15w40 conventional since I've owned it and changed it once a year because it never got the miles put on it to justify anything else.
Only concern I have about T6 is that it may cause the old seals to leak, 7.3's are known to be leakers. I did some further research and discovered Rotella offers a synthetic blend T5 in the 15w40 grade with longer drain abilities and better cold start flowing. Something that is highly necessary here in Montana cold winter mornings! Should I go with the T6 or T5? Truck doesn't leak much now luckily but I don't want that to change. Never had problems with synthetics leaking in my Tacoma, but it only had 74k when I bought it and is only 12 years old, my Ford's pushing 20 already.

Thoughts?

If it aint broke dont fix it. Keep using the conventional. Winter is nearing the end now too so cold starts wont be much of an issue.

At 184k I might be inclined to keep doing what you're doing....how many miles will you be putting on it this year and while the Taco is down?

Go with any full syn 0w30. In the summer run that or a 10w30 conventional. The 7.3 gets leaky sometimes but blowing out an o ring from to thick oil is not fun.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Go with any full syn 0w30. In the summer run that or a 10w30 conventional. The 7.3 gets leaky sometimes but blowing out an o ring from to thick oil is not fun.
What O rings are those that blow out.

I used valvoline max life 15w40 syn blend in my 97 7.3. It hasn't really had any affect on my leaks. Pretty sure I'm leaking a little around the turbo pedestal, and the oil pan. It might be worth a try for you. It's about $2 cheaper per gallon at Walmart. Good luck!

I vote give a try to the T5 15w40. If you want to try some Delo 5w40 synthetic, I would try to fix the oil leaks, then run the synthetic. The Delo is a bit cheaper than the Rotella tw40. Either way, your truck seems to be pretty happy on 15w40.

God forbid that your power stroke survived to get to 185,000 miles with out having syn oil in it. You know that the oil company's need your money so you should use their high priced syn oil. Just keep putting in what you have been using.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: abycat
What O rings are those that blow out.

there is actually a few. On the low pressure side and a couple on the high pressure side.

I vote for business as usual. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you're concerned about cold starts, plug it in (you do have a block heater right?) a few hours before you start it, or get a timer and leave it plugged in all the time.

The truck will start easier, cycle the glow plugs less and you'll have cabin heat much sooner. A win-win.

From someone who had a 7.3. Stick with the conventional. Tried synthetic a few X's. Truck seeped oil.
BTW Sold my 99 7.3 with 355k on it. For 9k.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/878274/Re:_UOA_7.3_F250_@_294,444_mi_#Post878274

Last edited:
I don't see the need to use synthetic oil. How about using whatever conventional you used in the past, then use Liqui-Moly oil saver to slow leaks?

I have an idea about solving the cold starting difficulty. Ask Ford if they recommend their new Motorcraft 10w30 CJ-4 for the 7.3 PSD.

Going to go ahead and try the T6 I think. Other 7.3 owners don't seem to be having problems with it. My truck doesn't leak that bad, just a few seeps here and there but I rarely have to add oil to her in 5k intervals. Maybe once, twice at most.

HEUI systems LOVE 10w30 since they use oil pressure to fire the injectors... the quicker and easier you can get the oil pressure there - the better everything seems to operate. Both Ford and CAT re-did their "approved" oil charts to include 10w30 over the general temp ranges. And before someone screams "CAFE requirements" - CAT could care less about CAFE... they only care about long-term reliability of their machines. Oil shear is always an issue with a HEUI system as the 40-weight oils tend to be "too thick" (not as bad with a 7.3 -vs- the later 6.0). I ran T5 in my 6.0 and my co-worker just switched his '01 7.3 to T5 for the first time... he was blown away by how much easier it starts on a cold morning and how much quieter his injectors operate. He gets a couple MPG more as well to boot.

Use T5 and don't look back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back