Rotella T 6???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run HDEO 15W-40 in my Craftsman riding mower with a B&S 19.5 hp for the last 4 years. No problems, good economy, engine runs strong. T6 will be even better.

Why, what do you get for that?

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Use an oil designed for small engines.
I use amsoil small engine oil. $8 a quart isn't too bad in my opinion

I mean by using an oil with SJ SH ratings that have the proper additives for small engines and the proper weight. Rotella t6 is great but why not use an oil designed for what equipment it's for and the right weight?

Originally Posted By: kyxtremetuber
Though on running t 6 5w-40 in a Briggs 1150 horizontal shaft engine that specs 5w- 30 full syn

or you could use what the engine specs for?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Though on running t 6 5w-40 in a Briggs 1150 horizontal shaft engine that specs 5w- 30 full syn

LOL!! So true...I like that one gregk24.

What type of equipment is the engine on? If it is a generator then you could be using it in hot or cold weather and T6 with the wide range 5W-40 would be appropriate. However if it is a piece of equipment that is only used in warm weather, then T5 15W-40 or some of the other 15W-40 oils like Del-Vac would cost less, and while T6 is a very good oil, an oil with less of a spread between the low and high number such as a 15W-40 would be less prone to shearing, especially in hot weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
What type of equipment is the engine on? If it is a generator then you could be using it in hot or cold weather and T6 with the wide range 5W-40 would be appropriate. However if it is a piece of equipment that is only used in warm weather, then T5 15W-40 or some of the other 15W-40 oils like Del-Vac would cost less, and while T6 is a very good oil, an oil with less of a spread between the low and high number such as a 15W-40 would be less prone to shearing, especially in hot weather.

t5 is 10w30

t3 is 15w40

My parents have a lawnmower that specified ND30 ...

When this summer is over I'm going to use the leftover quart of T6 in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Lowe's sells Briggs & Stratton 5W-30 full synthetic oil for less than $6/quart. I use it in my B&S generator. In the instruction manual it's the only oil that's spec'd for all temperature ranges.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Rand

t5 is 10w30

t3 is 15w40

Not quite.
The triple t conventional comes in both 10w-30 and 15w-40.
I've seen t-5 in many different grades including 0w-30,0w-40 etc.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Rand

t5 is 10w30

t3 is 15w40

Not quite.
The triple t conventional comes in both 10w-30 and 15w-40.
I've seen t-5 in many different grades including 0w-30,0w-40 etc.

This is true. Our pals to the north have a greater variety of Rotella oils available to them. All I've ever seen in the States is T straight weight, T Triple 15w-40, T5 10w-30, and T6 5w-40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back