Rotella 15w40 vs Motorcraft 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found my saved CH-4 Rotella pds, and indeed it clearly states -15F as the pour pt.

Maximize profits? They had a ~80+% market share and a huge following, why do anything more than needed (e.g. higher cost)? Maybe a case of I'm so great and I'll ignore the marketplace? They've woken up and have lost ~half their truck stop volume (down to 40% market share now).

Hmm, okay then. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I didn't think a pour point and MRV point could be so close together -- generally there is more space between the two!

I've wondered what effect PPDs have on film strength. Perhaps if film strength is better with lower amounts of PPD, then Shell thought they were making a better-protecting oil than one loaded with PPDs. A lot of discussion has gone down lately about VIIs displacing oil molecules in blends...

Bruce381, any thoughts?

- Scott

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know why Shell formulated in that manner. The paltry -15F pour pt kinda surprised me when I saw it. They definitely addressed this shortcoming in their next generation formulation (which is a good thing).

This article may shed more light on PPD's
http://www.lubrizol.com/press-room/media-coverage/pdflibrary/Cold_Point_Single.pdf
Note the MRV temp as proposed was -20C for 15-40, -15f corresponds to -26C. Prior formulation of Rotella AFAIK contained significant amount of solvent-refined base. Even so, note that even GIII requires an amount of correct PPD to get the spread, also note Fig.2 which was an eye-opener for me, and what happens to the MRV in used oil if the wrong PPD is used.
The answer to the reason why was as always, profit.

Quote:
The original oils foamed sometimes which cased problems.

Yes ..power stroke owners couldn't figure out (for a bit) why every time they changed their oil ..the thing started running right.
LOL.gif

I know this is an old topic but while searching for information I decided to reply. I noticed the MC 15w40 comes in a 5qt. jug and the Rotella in a 4qt. It appears you get more for your money with the MC but is it really as good as Rotella or would it be better to go with Rotella and buy the extra quarts? My Volvos take 4qts. per vehicle nd I always buy a little for top-off but if the MC is just as good then it is a better deal. Just want some input.

In my experience, the Motorcraft is just as good as the Rotella. A friend of mine who drives for a living says that his truck consistently consumes less oil on CJ4 Delvac 1300 15W-40, than on the same spec Rotella. He spends less on makeup oil between oil changes with the Delvac.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Older thread...I wonder where Ruby is these days?

He probably got mad at us for poking fun at his Motorcraft/Delo/Rotella/Delvac questions and which oil was better
LOL.gif

I wish Ruby would check in and let us know that he found the perfect oil for his PSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back