Rockauto.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Can you just walk-in to their warehouse and buy your parts their? Would save on shipping.
smile.gif

I wish, but they don't actually have a warehouse in Wisconsin. I think I've received parts from Texas, Cali, Arizona and somewhere on the east coast. I think they dropship everything from someone else's warehouse, which is why they can offer such low prices. No overhead costs.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I use them every chance I can, because they are based in my home state's capital. Gotta support the locals!

I did have one problem with an item, but it really wasn't RA's fault. Lower control arms for my A6, where there was a VIN split with different parts. Dorman had supplied RA with bad info saying that one part number covered the 1999-04 range, when actually the part changed in the middle of the 2002 MY. They paid all shipping to get me the correct ones (with an upgrade to a better part because Dorman doesn't make the correct one yet) and sent a RMA for the bad parts to go back. Never doubted me for a minute.

Can you just walk-in to their warehouse and buy your parts their? Would save on shipping.
smile.gif

That's what I do with Tirerack! When I'm not forced to buy from my wife's uncle, a Firestone dealer.

We have a TR here in Louisiana?

Yep! http://www.tirerack.com/about/shreveportmap.jsp

You're welcome!

my freezer is plastered with dozens of rockauto's magnets. always a fan. i do also always compare the same items with amazon. sometimes it leans one way or the other, depends on sales tax, shipping, so on and so forth.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Yep! http://www.tirerack.com/about/shreveportmap.jsp

You're welcome!

Thanx, great info. Do they sell at the same low prices on their website?

Yes they do! You just have to confirm the tires you want are available in the Shreveport warehouse. I don't think I've ever had them not be, though.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
my freezer is plastered with dozens of rockauto's magnets. always a fan. i do also always compare the same items with amazon. sometimes it leans one way or the other, depends on sales tax, shipping, so on and so forth.

LOL! Me too - you get a handful of magnets with every order!

I've been happy with Rock Auto, and parts for my truck are often dirt cheap on there. They have pretty much everything I could ever need for it as far as maintenance and most mechanical repairs.

I got Motorcraft and KYB shocks for $20 each, a Motorcraft remanufactured MAF sensor was $66, Prestolite plug wires on closeout were $5, ball joints were half the cost of the same pro-grade ones from a store, and Thermoquiet brake pads are about $30 shipped compared to $50 in a store.

I do sometimes use Amazon, eBay Motors, or a dealer through Fordparts.com, but Rock Auto has provided consistently good service and is a great source for parts. Being able to shop a wide range of brands easily is nice too. RA is probably the most widely trusted online retailer among BITOGers, so if they were bad you would know about it.

I'll just add that I got a ten pack of #168 marker light bulbs for about $4 shipped from RA. I hate paying $3-4 per two pack at WM or the local parts stores. Sometimes they're way ahead on "shop supplies". And many many cars take 168 bulbs.

I love Rock Auto. Its a first stop when looking for parts. Love having a selection of brand names which I usually don't have at a parts store.

I only had one item I had to return. I ordered a motor mount; the brand name was Anchor. As soon as I got it out of the box, I saw it was the wrong one. The bolt holes didn't line up. I suspect Anchor put the wrong one in the box, since the picture on the box and on the RA website were correct. Return was easy and painless.

But here's an example of their pricing. The Anchor motor mount at RA was something like $54. Autozone had the same one for $99. Advance wanted $140 and Pep Boys a staggering $238 - all for the same part number and brand name! I eventually got one from the GM dealer for $79, and it fit perfectly (didn't want to try another from RA in case their entire stock was mis-marked).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've ordered from them in the past. No issues, but their shipping charges can sometimes be a deal breaker because they'll charge you for shipping individual parts from multiple warehouses. For basic maintenance items, I've found other online places to have better prices.

I agree,

When I looking to buy some parts I check both Amazon and Rockauto for match parts then look at total after shipping and tax.

If the price of Amazon is slightly higher I would buy form Amazon for better customer services.

Price at Rockauto is usually lower than Amazon for most parts, but the shipping charges sometime is too high for shipping parts from multiple locations.

As for shipping cost..$16 to ship 2 front quick struts and 2 rear shocks and had them in 4 days with a savings of $176 over Autozone isn't bad at all in my book.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
As for shipping cost..$16 to ship 2 front quick struts and 2 rear shocks and had them in 4 days with a savings of $176 over Autozone isn't bad at all in my book.

Thanx GMBoy. I did the math in my head instead of on paper and knew it was somewhere in that neighborhood. That's a great neighborhood to be in.
thumbsup2.gif

Go here for the 5% discount code:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

5% may not sound like much but it'll pay for at least part of the shipping charges.

It helps to if you happen to catch the part(s) you need on close out. I just bought a full set of Gates belts for the Legend (PS, AC and Alt) for $26 shipped.

The only problem that I've had is with one of their warehouses. I ordered a PS pump and when I received it, it was knocking around in the Delco box (very poor re-packaging; looked like a previously returned item). The return hose nipple had broken off the reservoir. They immediately sent me a FedEx call tag. I ended up buying a pump locally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
smile.gif

I wish, but they don't actually have a warehouse in Wisconsin. I think I've received parts from Texas, Cali, Arizona and somewhere on the east coast. I think they dropship everything from someone else's warehouse, which is why they can offer such low prices. No overhead costs.

I think they ship a lot of stuff directly from the manufacturer. They are able to sell private label overstocks, sometimes on the chain store housebrands. I'll bet RA has almost no inventory of their own, but very, very efficient control of their supply chain. Shipping speed and fill rate is very good.

They are the BEST parts supplier to non-auto shop people, in my book. They offer a variety of solutions at various price tiers. I have not come across anything else like that online.

Love RockAuto's prices.

Not being able to swap lifetime warranty parts quickly (like the Dorman PCV breather tube that only lasted a year & a half in our Windstar) stinks. But that's how it goes!

I have used rockauto in the past and they are great. However, I wouldn't use it for a part that I am sure will end up needing a warranty replacement, that would be inconvenient.

I love Rock Auto's prices and customer service. I do check localy before buying at RA as the shipping can mean the difference. Unless I just have to have a particular brand or RA is the only source for a part, if I can get the same part localy, I'd prefer to do so.

Rock Auto has gotten me out of a couple of jams in the past where, they were the only source where I was able to get it the next day. Others were 3-5 days and alot more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back