Review - Mazda CX-30

Pretty good review. Dave Coleman said they did a lot of work to prevent IVD's. While it will accumulate some over time, compared to others, much less. Cylinder deactivation is only available on the Premium trim, and you can't deactivate it. They also made some adjustments to the suspension due to the increase in height (bushings etc.).

Does Mazda use a multifrequency engine mount like honda when engaging cylinder deactivation?

UD

This should be a good seller for Mazda. The CX3 was just too small for US customers. The CX30 takes care of that I like the simple lines of the interior and I see they moved the climate control panel up. That makes it easier for the driver to adjust with less distraction.

I also like that Mazda is changing up the interior color scheme a bit.

Yeah, I like the reviews that I have seen thus far. IDK if it's just the reviewers praising the CX30 because they're on Mazda's dime but, it looks promising. I have driven the CX3 & CX5 and both are good vehicles. However the CX3 is just too cramped and noisy. The CX5 is about the right size since my wife wants a smaller SUV. She actually wants a Honda HR-V but, I think she should wait for a redesign.

She has. The previous gen(2016) and my nephew's new '19 CX5.
She really wants a smaller CUV such as the HR-V in size but not really larger. She had a 1st gen Lexus RX(which would be considered Compact today) for 15 yrs and she wants smaller. Mainly she just wants a run'about CUV but reliable and good outward vision.

They toned down the looks and straightened some body lines a bit, unfortunately. But they gave it what it was in dire need of.....40 more HP. Now, give it 40 more. Loved my CX-3 except that it couldn't get out of its own way.

CX-3.jpg

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
They toned down the looks and straightened some body lines a bit, unfortunately. But they gave it what it was in dire need of.....40 more HP. Now, give it 40 more. Loved my CX-3 except that it couldn't get out of its own way.

Agree. The 2.5L is the preferable engine, although the 2.0 is also bulletproof. Despite their lack of power, they are naturally aspirated and hold up very well.

Originally Posted by buster

Agree. The 2.5L is the preferable engine, although the 2.0 is also bulletproof. Despite their lack of power, they are naturally aspirated and hold up very well.

As I understand it, the 2.0 and 2.5 are exactly the same
except for cylinder displacement. The 2.0 is good for fuel economy and the 2.5 for a bit more power.

All Mazda engines come off of one line including diesels.

Originally Posted by Ws6
2.5 turbo is the only engine Mazda makes currently available that I'd own in anything bigger than a Miata.

IMO, the CX30 deserves the turbo, especially in AWD form. If they had offered a turbo on my 2.0, I'd have bought, and kept it.

Originally Posted by Ws6
2.5 turbo is the only engine Mazda makes currently available that I'd own in anything bigger than a Miata.

I'm very happy with the naturally aspirated 2.5. It's all the engine I need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Ws6

I think so too.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Well, all the engine and car I NEED is a 90s Geo Metro, but when I'm shelling out tens of thousands of dollars, "want" quickly inserts itself into the equation.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Well, all the engine and car I NEED is a 90s Geo Metro, but when I'm shelling out tens of thousands of dollars, "want" quickly inserts itself into the equation.

I think there's a giant hole in the market for a reasonably priced (this leaves out the Germans) AWD, high performance CUV. Or maybe there isn't a market for them, since there are none. Or perhaps it's become impossible to keep them affordable. Marketing was never my strong suit, but I always thought a 280hp CX-3 AWD would've been a fantastic car, considering the already-excellent packaging.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I think there's a giant hole in the market for a reasonably priced (this leaves out the Germans) AWD, high performance CUV. Or maybe there isn't a market for them, since there are none. Or perhaps it's become impossible to keep them affordable. Marketing was never my strong suit, but I always thought a 280hp CX-3 AWD would've been a fantastic car, considering the already-excellent packaging.

The Alfa Stelvio totally fits this bill, and I love it on paper and from what I've seen of them, but the reliability/longevity aspect, I just couldn't get over. I took a bit of a handling and acceleration penalty in exchange for a pretty sure bet on having a vehicle that runs fine in 200K miles instead.

Please keep us updated. They have proven to be great cars and the sales numbers have been big for Mazda.
Indeed, please do keep us in the loop on the CX-30 over the time & miles.
I like the presentation of the 30 and the lack if a rear independent suspension may not be a deal braker if done well.

Back