Request: Amsoil ASM 5w-20 or 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I don't think they sell the 5w20 anymore. The 0w20 is thick and kind of covers both. I am waiting on my shipment of ASM 5w30 and 5w30 XL. Amsoil makes awesome oils, but the majors are moving in with "guarantee's" for extended drains ie Castrol Edge with Titanium and M1EP though they will only be making 5w30/50. The catch is in (little print on the back) is follow manufacturers recommendations for drain intervals. Amsoil offers true warranties on their oils. All the majors are chincy in that department. Try the Amsoil you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
You know I don't think they sell the 5w20 anymore. The 0w20 is thick and kind of covers both. I am waiting on my shipment of ASM 5w30 and 5w30 XL. Amsoil makes awesome oils, but the majors are moving in with "guarantee's" for extended drains ie Castrol Edge with Titanium and M1EP though they will only be making 5w30/50. The catch is in (little print on the back) is follow manufacturers recommendations for drain intervals. Amsoil offers true warranties on their oils. All the majors are chincy in that department. Try the Amsoil you won't be disappointed.

+1.

Looks like Amsoil uses little moly and boron. I'm guessing the ASM is mostly grpIV basestocks? Would more moly content be of any benefit?

Quote:
ASM 5w-20 or 0w-20

I'm a bit confused.

Amsoil makes 0W-20 ASM, 5W-20 XLM, and 5W-20 OEM

Tell me about your driving habits, OCI, etc and I will recommend the most appropriate.

Thanks,

Paul

Moly does not prevent wear, I would not let moly be my "make or break" on any oil. I have seen oil with boatloads of moly and lousy UOA's Boron and titanium are the "in" additives right now. Don't worry about Moly, it is the quality of the lube itself that makes the difference.

PS Pablo: Didn't Amsoil have a True Syn. 5w20ASM? Why did they cut that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
ASM 5w-20 or 0w-20

I'm a bit confused.

Amsoil makes 0W-20 ASM, 5W-20 XLM, and 5W-20 OEM

Tell me about your driving habits, OCI, etc and I will recommend the most appropriate.

Thanks,

Paul

I understand the different formulations. I misunderstood Amsoil's website "ASM 0w-20 replaces 5w-20" not replaced 5w-20. sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5

I understand the different formulations. I was looking for the old ASM 5w-20 VOA vs 0w-20 just as a comparison

Not sure if I follow. No such oil as ASM 5W-20. But I THINK you want to compare the OLD 5W-20 XLM vs ASM 0W-20.

I could swear I ran one on XLM, but I think I only ran a VOA on Amsoil racing 5W-20 RD-20. But can see plenty of UOA's on older XLM, and get some feel for the visible add pack, but that's not really what an oil is all about.

I understand the different formulations. I misunderstood Amsoil's website "ASM 0w-20 replaces 5w-20" not replaced 5w-20. sorry for the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back