Replacing a Head Gasket on a Mazda CX-9: Wow!

Generally head gasket sealer is good for a car that's next stop is the junkyard, just like those oil leak sealers that are similar to brake fluid, if it's a good car you fix the root of the problem don't scale up the cooling system or turn all the gaskets to mush, on a junker who cares if you get a few more miles out of it before you scrap it by all means throw in the mechanic in a bottle.

My 2014 Mazda3 with the Skyactiv 2.5 was such a solid engine/transmission combo - it's too bad they had to tinker with it.
They were fantastic. Same with the CX-5. I would recommend those all the time to people without fear of catastrophic backfires. People would ask what we sold a lot and I would just say "maintenance parts, brake pads, and body parts."

I'm glad to hear that since my daughter's CX-30 has a 2.5 without cylinder deactivation.
Funny story, we did 1 head job on a Mazda without the deactivation, I really don't remember which model. Anyway, the tech just asked for all the parts for the non-turbo head which we stock. Then he came in a while later saying the head was wrong, parts is terrible blah blah. So I look into it and discover that the bulletin does not apply as all the applications show "with deactivation." It gets to the point that I am on a conference call with the Mazda tech people listening to them say how parts messed up. When I finally got a chance to talk I pointed out that this vehicle did not have deactivation so this bulletin actually did in fact not apply. There was silence followed by "ohhhhh". The tech was mostly upset because the head for without deactivation comes bare and everything had to be transferred over while the ones with deactivation come ready to drop on the block.

Generally head gasket sealer is good for a car that's next stop is the junkyard, just like those oil leak sealers that are similar to brake fluid, if it's a good car you fix the root of the problem don't scale up the cooling system or turn all the gaskets to mush, on a junker who cares if you get a few more miles out of it before you scrap it by all means throw in the mechanic in a bottle.
I rebuilt the engine in my 1993 Tercel in 2007. Shortly after, it overheated a bit and warped the head enough that there was a coolant leak between the head and the block. New head gasket did not help.

I’m now on year 15 of successfully using Bars Leaks. Every 5 years or so I drain the system, do a chemical flush, refill, and use the Bars Leaks again.

I suppose if it was a nice car it would give me pause but the stuff has worked well for me and got me through close to 200k.

As for non cylinder-deactivating (and naturally-aspirated) Skyactiv-G 2.5 engines and cylinder head prbs... See the following:https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/the-skyactiv-resuscitation-project.448664/

Now let me be clear, here:
i) cyl head cracking issues are not, it appears, widespread, in those engines; and
ii) there is some talk in subsequent posts (in that link) that an overheat situation may have occurred due to a stuck t-stat, and that the resulting higher heat/temp cracked the head where that very large steel plug threads-in to the thin section-size portion of the head.

That is a alot of work! From what I've read, the failure rate is not that high and after the 2020 model year a fix has been in place.

We have that motor in our CX-9 and honestly I really enjoy it. I hope this issue doesn't pop up but we did get a 150,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty 🍻

Back