Replacement Drill Chuck

All the Milwaukee chucks are garbage so judging a keyless on that is not representative of what keyless can do.

But yes, a good replacement adds significantly to the cost of the tool.

My latest 2904 had "Germany" marked on the rear face, visible only once removed. I don't believe it was a Rohm, though and swapped it anyway. I'm done letting Milwaukee's chucks fool me. The chuck on the previous gen 2804 looked better, too, so I gave it a shot and it sucked (although it was not stamped Germany)

Again, if the operator is willing to deal with the "drawbacks" of a keyed chuck, go for it! As a metal guy I've had no problems getting the Rohms to hold bits from 5/32" to 1/2" if I remember to take the time to really reef against the brake and get those last ~3 clicks

Last edited:
I have a German made Albrecht self tightening on my press that is keyless and never slips but that thing was quite pricey years ago. The more torque that is applied to the chuck the tighter it grips.
I grew up around a large industrial machine shop so although I am not a machinist I know my way around and can use some of the machinery.

Yep, Albrechts are a different animal. I learned the hard way not to use large hole saws in them (say, much over an inch, maybe 1.5"). When the saw grabs they tighten down more.

It's partially the inner taper on the outer shell that guides the jaws down and together, so in a case of extreme self-tightening the jaws actually spread the shell. The shell is so expensive you start nearing the cost of an entirely new chuck, esp after you add in new jaws and other parts.

So yeah, with hole saws in the mill I use a keyed chuck :) or I turn the 7/16 hex off Milwaukee arbors and use the now-round shank in a collet.

Mine is up to 16mm which is more than I normally need, I took that to mean (maybe mistakenly) either bit or hole saw regardless of shank size. I have an old USA 3/4 Jacobs ball bearing keyed chuck if I need larger, it is still a good chuck, they don't make them like that anymore.

Fast as ever from Grainger.

Came with a key as well, which is good because this chuck is takes a K2 and I ordered a K32.

20230815_184646.jpg

Back